Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure I started running in my mid forties and now it is...

VLB Posted 1 year ago
I started running in my mid forties and now it is a big part of my life. I always thought that you had to be very athletic but this is not the case. Has anyone else started a new leisure activity or hobby and would you recommend it to others?
13 likes & 87 replies
    • Peter Divall 23rd May 2021 at 5:02 pm

Still running most days at 73. Would advise anyone to do their local Parkrun to get started you will not regret it

• Peter Divall 23rd May 2021 at 6:00 pm

Hanley Parkrun is a lovely course and great for spectators

• VLB 23rd May 2021 at 7:19 pm

It does look a lovely one and seems friendly, too. It is a bit far for me but will bear in mind in I am ever in the area.

• Peter Divall 23rd May 2021 at 7:40 pm

Not too far l’ ve run 2 in Australia when visiting my my son

• VLB 23rd May 2021 at 7:45 pm

Wow, that is a long way and I bet the Parkruns were fantastic. That makes me think that I need to widen my distance to find a good parkrun. Fingers crossed that they will be back in June.

• Deleted User 23rd May 2021 at 8:08 pm

I started the couch to 5k during lockdown, ended up doing 10k twice …and then stopped! Trouble is I can’t find the motivation to get going again! I am full of admiration for all you marathon runners.
      This discussion has given me encouragement. I should restart the C25k again and then join a running club!

• VLB 23rd May 2021 at 8:12 pm

I hope that you get your running mojo back. I do recommend a running club as they tend to be friendly and a great way to meet people. My running club has something for all paces and levels of fitness so I hope you find one suitable for you nearby. Good luck!

• Marie-Claude Quieffin-Witcombe 1st June 2021 at 9:37 am

Hello Jane,
        Maybe you pushed yourself too hard, too soon. Each step at a time, however slowly this may be. If you don’t feel like running, stop for a while and do something else until you go back to it if you feel like it. It is still better than not doing anything. I started running at 30 and continued steadily until now, well in my 60s. I had to stop a month ago because of knee problems, so I started golf, I am enjoying it, and will see where it takes me. I may go back to running.

• Deleted User 1st June 2021 at 1:10 pm

Hi Marie-Claude,
          You have hit on my character flaw! I pushed too hard too quick. I am v competitive, so set up unrealistic expectations of myself (I had already started a half marathon running plan!) and this took all the pleasure out of running so when I couldn’t beat my last time or distance I gave up!!
          I greatly admire anyone who gets out and gives it a go regardless of how far they run/ walk. I just need to apply that to myself as well!
          Thanks to you and VLB for the encouragement.

• hell.fenn 24th May 2021 at 1:33 pm

I retried line dancing about 3 years ago but believe it or not the teacher was so patronising when Covid happened I decided to not go back. I have joined Strollercise since and love it which is line dancing really but with a different era of music. The atmosphere is brilliant and it is not taken too seriously.

• Anne46 24th June 2021 at 8:32 pm

I love line dancing. Started 25 years ago, I did go quite a few years not doing it but took it up again not long after I retired, 15 years ago. Went to a class in Leeds for about 10 years and was really upset when the class folded. Now I go to one nearer home. Neither teacher has ever been condescending. We haven’t been back since lockdown though, waiting for the club to allow us. We don’t dance to music from just one era, we dance to country, Latin, pop, older songs. A real mix. Some fantastic music and some fantastic dances.
        I took up table tennis about 4 years ago and absolutely love it, it’s my favourite activity; I currently play 3 times a week.

• VLB 24th May 2021 at 5:10 pm

Sounds like great fun and sometimes you have to try a few things before finding the one that suits you. Enjoy!

• TomF456 18th June 2021 at 9:36 am

I discovered rowing as a hobby some 15 years or so back now and can highly recommend it to others who might be looking for something to keep them fit and to widen their circle of friends. Its one of those sports you can participate in at whatever level suites you best either competitively or recreationally.

I row down in Maidstone and there is a decent squad of people between the 50-70 age group.

• VLB 18th June 2021 at 6:53 pm

That sounds like an excellent way to keep fit and make new friends. I hope that your team are doing well.

• sarahc68 20th June 2021 at 9:09 am

I bought a paddle board a couple of weeks ago, never tried it before, don’t like boats … completely random! So far I’m loving it 😊 although that said, I haven’t fallen in the water yet 😂
      I left it at my partner’s house during the week as he has a garage (and I wouldn’t use it alone). He ended up going out on it every day despite thinking I was crazy and rolling his eyes when I went to buy it! He says it relieves his stress after a long day at work. I think that’s because you have to concentrate so much on staying upright there’s no time to worry about anything else.
      I bought a second board this weekend so that we can do it together … think I’m already addicted 😊

• Cyclebunny 20th June 2021 at 4:18 pm

I’ve just had 3 paddleboarding lessons and love it, I did fall in last time – Wed, when it was so hot I was glad to cool off and to realise how hard it is to get back on🙄, made worse by the thick lifejacke. Intend getting my own inflatable board now as lessons are so expensive but I’ve learned a lot about technique, currents, wind, the tides and what tide times to avoid etc.
        Also started OWS at Royal London docks as I’m not a strong or confident swimmer. I cycle down there in all the commuter traffic, afterwards cycle over to Limehouse and cycle home along the towpath, away from all the traffic.

• Rowan 24th June 2021 at 10:32 pm

Wow love this post…I went paddle boarding couple of Sundays ago and it twigged I could get my own I loved it….great pics enjoy

• veggieman 20th June 2021 at 5:38 pm

I was crap at school sports and was often the last to be picked when we lined up to play football. At the age of 31, I watched the first London Marathon highlights in 1981 and thought that I would like to do that. I can recall my first jog when I went half a mile from home, collapsed onto a wall and staggered the half a mile back. I didn’t give up and went on to complete 32 full marathons and around 150 half marathons. Nowadays, aged 72, I only jog occasionally but I look back at what I achieved with a great sense of pride as the sports teachers at my school all wrote me off as a no-hoper. I now go for long walks and feel fit. I have never smoked and that has always helped me in life.

• Rowan 24th June 2021 at 10:36 pm

Funny isn’t it thinking back to school games day I hated it especially cross country and gym the horse definitely a day that gave me stomach ache but roll forward a few decades and couldn’t be happier than when running a few miles ..some times when people write us off gives more fire in belly…I’m a maths tutor but can recall a very negative comment my mum came back with from parents evening lol…keep jogging and enjoy

• VLB 22nd June 2021 at 9:08 pm

You certainly proved your PE teacher wrong. What a great achievement.

• Crazy Animal person 24th June 2021 at 7:22 pm

I’ve taken up knitting toys, I find it relaxing and fun

• gordloch 24th June 2021 at 9:50 pm

After a period of time in hospital in my early 50’s I started running. Couldn’t manage 100metres. Then I thought I’d never manage a 5k. I did it though. Since then I’ve completed several 10k’s, half marathon, the London marathon. I was enjoying parkruns until they were cancelled.

• Rowan 24th June 2021 at 10:31 pm

Be so glad when Park Run resumes….a great list of runs I’m fingers crossed for London this year otherwise it will be another virtual….are you keeping up the runs for the park runs

• gordloch 25th June 2021 at 8:22 am

Thanks and good luck for London. I’m still meeting up with a few friends on Saturday mornings for unofficial, socially distanced, parkruns. Only a few more weeks until they resume.
          I’m running a 10k race this Sunday, my first race for a couple of years.

• Rowan 25th June 2021 at 12:48 pm

Snap I’m running a 10 k Sunday ….have a good one and roll on park run at one of local ones round here they have the best flapjack ….twigged yesterday could go and do the 5 k to qualify for the cafe 😊

• swoollard495 24th June 2021 at 10:26 pm

I learnt how to jive which is social as well as getting fit

• Stephen32 26th June 2021 at 2:18 pm

I started running when i was 55 loved it for the short time i did it but unfortunately they found a bone tumor on my knee and following a few ops i was told i couldn’t do it anymore 🙁 but i love walking and just started a Lands End to John O’Groats challenge just walking it, so that keeps me occupied

• Brad_66 11th September 2021 at 1:25 pm

I did very similar. Started with just short run/walks. I’ve now done over 100 half marathons and 6 full marathons. I’m in the process of training to be a run leader now. We’re all capable of doing things we have no idea of, until we explore. When I had my health MOT, the nurse told me I was 93kg in my mid 30’s. I’m 80kg now. Key is consistency and persistence.

• VLB 11th September 2021 at 5:55 pm

That is a great achievement and good luck with your run leader training. I have the Manchester Marathon booked for October and this will be my first marathon so a little bit nervous about it.

• paxton1974 12th September 2021 at 9:51 am

Started Walking last year now walk 5 to 8 miles a day sadly dont live in an area with much to see . At 67 bit worried to try anything strenous but need to do some exercise on upper body as muscles are disappearing

• VLB 12th September 2021 at 12:07 pm

It sounds like you get out and about and that is certainly a good way to keep fit and healthy.

• paxton1974 12th September 2021 at 12:42 pm

Yes if i dont get out i get very depressed . The area i live hasnt got much to look at accept a few parks but try to find new walks .

• Whittler 17th September 2021 at 7:15 am

I’m a Hash House Harrier, started hashing about 8 years ago and love it! Hashing is a very social worldwide activity with all ages and abilities taking part. Many people haven’t heard about it so briefly: hashing is like a paper chase , the ‘hare’ lays a trail in flour/sawdust/chalk from a location they decide on, the hashers then run or walk the trail at their own pace. No times recorded or racing! Trails range from 2 to 3 miles for the short route or 4 to 6 miles for the long route. Then we all pile into a local pub to undo all the good we’ve just done. We get to see places and views that you wouldn’t ordinarily know about and have made many good friends as a result. Wherever you go in the world, you’ll probably find a hash group who all make visitors most welcome.

• VLB 18th September 2021 at 2:41 pm

I have never heard of Hashing but it does sound fun and a great way to explore new places whilst keeping fit.

• backofbeyond 24th December 2021 at 3:23 pm

I’ve heard the HHH described as a drinking club with a running problem !! I’ve done a few runs with them at Cropredy Festival where they arrange a session on Sunday morning. It is good fun and as long as you’ve got a few enthusiasts up front to work out the hare trail the rest of us can just get on with running along behind.

The first time I went out with them they arranged free access to the beer tanker (like a petrol tanker but filled with beer!) supplying the main bar for an hour afterwards.

• VLB 24th December 2021 at 10:55 pm

Sounds like lots of fun!

• Frogboiler 17th September 2021 at 7:40 am

I started training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at the ripe old age of 50 -three years in and loving it. Greatly increased mobility and flexibility as well as a new bunch of friends

• VLB 18th September 2021 at 2:39 pm

Sounds interesting and a great way to meet new people.

• Naz 18th September 2021 at 6:43 pm

I started hiking in my mid forties too. Now it is a must in my life. It turn to be not only my physical activity but also my stress relief. Even main part of my social life. Unfortunately, since I moved to London it is very limited.

• VLB 18th September 2021 at 8:55 pm

I hope that you manage to keep hiking, a lovely way to explore different places. Hopefully you will be able to have some weekends away if there are limited places locally.

• Terry75 18th September 2021 at 7:16 pm

I spent 20 years in Prison Service Phys Ed Branch whenI left the Army and while I still enjoy knocking out some good miles on my bike 100km in 4hrs 23 secs at 61, 5 marathons etc decided that this year, at 64, I would, finally, learn guitar. Love it. You’re never too old to learn something new or take on a fresh challenge. Think young, stay young if only in your mind lol.

• VLB 18th September 2021 at 8:56 pm

That’s great to have a new challenge. My first marathon is in 3 weeks.

• Usedtobeginger5 19th September 2021 at 10:08 am

I played squash but had to stop with the pandemic. Took up tennis, great sport for all skill levels

• simon h 19th September 2021 at 11:21 am

why not an electric bike

• Jacqueline 61 24th November 2021 at 4:58 pm

Any one in south London want to week fit with me walk in park or start jogging or start tennis
      I’m 60 and single and need to do something and get out more
      Jacqueline

• Jacqueline 61 24th November 2021 at 4:59 pm

Keep

• Minds 24th December 2021 at 5:52 am

Fantastic. I’m working on this👌🏼

• Mark Tu 16th February 2022 at 10:50 pm

I started running 3 years ago. I took my fitness more seriously at 40 after seeing the Stones in Vegas motivated seeing Mick Jagger who seemed fiter and is 15 years older than me. I gave up smoking and started going to the gym.
      I was 57 when I started running within a few weeks being able to do the 5k park runs on a Saturday morning without having to walk. I try to run 5k twice a week outside preferably but on the treadmill at the gym when the weather’s not too good.
      It certainly helps keeping in good shape as I do like a glass or two of wine 🍷.

• VLB 21st February 2022 at 9:28 am

Sounds like a great way to earn your glass of wine. The Parkruns are a good way to get out to different places, too.

Add