Home Forums Jobs & Careers I Started off with good intentions ? But i am a bi...

Deleted User Posted 10 months ago
I Started off with good intentions ? But i am a bit long in the tooth to be told what to do🙄
3 likes & 10 replies
    • Josie123 27th July 2021 at 8:47 am

I know what you mean and felt similarly, so I started a business…

• Magnolia19 27th July 2021 at 12:31 pm

What did you start doing ? I am at that stage in my life where I’d love to be my own boss but am stuck in a minimum paid job working from home and hate it .

• Josie123 27th July 2021 at 1:15 pm

I’m an editor (for authors) and official proofreader for two UK universities (plus others in the UK and all over the world via word of mouth). I also teach early maths and English language skills, plus creative writing etc.,
          via an online platform. I work from home and, social aspect aside, I love it. It did take time to build though, so I began in my spare time and finally went solo when the pandemic hit. Best thing I ever did! The key is to find something you’re good at and think of a niche where you can apply that skill. Good luck!

• Magnolia19 27th July 2021 at 3:13 pm

That’s sounds amazing I’ve always had a love for English and never went to uni after getting A levels because of my ex husband which is a big regret Funnily enough I was looking at proof reading courses a while ago and wondering if they were any good and what prospects for employment you would have at the end of it . I’m 59 now so times not on my side but feel I need to do something as I am getting very depressed and need to use my brain again ! I spent most of my life in travel but don’t want to go back to that as it has changed so much now Any advice would be much appreciated
          Thanks

• Josie123 27th July 2021 at 3:36 pm

I’m 60! You’re never too old to learn and do new things (it’s what keeps us going – use it or lose it!) A good proofreading course would give you a new skill but be careful as there are a lot of dodgy sites out there. If you have a knack for words and pick up errors in books (I see them ALL now which rather spoils reading because I’ve yet to find a book that has none!) then go for it. Be aware though, that learning all the proofing marks is a little redundant as it’s all done using track changes in Word documents nowadays…

• Magnolia19 27th July 2021 at 4:16 pm

Oh OK yes I always spot errors and definitely have a knack for words ! I’m not great with Word though I’ll have to look into it a bit more I think Thanks

• Jacq13 16th August 2021 at 10:11 am

Which proofreading course would you recommend?

• Colin in Kent 27th July 2021 at 11:07 am

I’d have to say, why? Do you simply object to being asked to do something, or does it depend on the age and perceived experience of the manager? I’m interested in your use of the word ‘told’ rather than ‘asked’ – is this your experience of work? That requests are commands, or is it a case that ‘I don’t like being told what to do’ sounds reasonable, whereas ‘I don’t like being asked to do something’ sounds less so?

Managers in my experience are a mix of the incompetent, experienced, knowledgeable and venal. That’s the world of work really. One’s tolerance for such does reduce with age, but at the same time to a degree that’s life. I’m not even sure that, with myself, it’s a function of age. I’ve always hated being managed by people who I have a low opinion of. Other people I respect, respect their knowledge or approach, and I don’t have a problem with that. But if you can’t tolerate it any more then the only recourse is, as Jilly suggests, start your own business.

• gdw 27th July 2021 at 3:38 pm

I have found , sometimes, it is because the other person feels threatened. They want to assert themselves by micro managing.

• Deleted User 12th August 2021 at 11:18 am

Totally agree with that. When a ‘younger’ person in a position of authority is faced with someone older, a LOT more experience, and an old school work ethic, I think there’s a degree of ‘go on the defensive’ happening!
        As a person who’s worked flat out for 45 years – in very wide and varied roles, but didn’t go to University (due to family circumstances) I still find that Uni graduates have a slightly superior air about them.
        However, I do enjoy mentioning that by my late twenties I’d bought my first flat, had traveled extensively – and didn’t owe anyone a penny!

Add