Home Forums Music I spend lockdown and most other times listening to...

Jos B. Sheffield. Posted 2 years ago
I spend lockdown and most other times listening to 60’&70’s music also folk. My wife says I shouldn’t live in the past but having poor hearing I find more enjoyment with the familiar lyrics. Is this so uncommon?
11 likes & 41 replies
    • KellyB 20th January 2021 at 2:23 pm

No, I listen to music from the last 5 decades all the time. If you like it that’s fine.

• Toffee196 20th January 2021 at 4:06 pm

Personally Ian, the older I get the more I know about myself and what I like. If that form of music genre gives you comfort and enjoyment I would stay stick with it and enjoy every minute! Cheers, Kev

• Deleted User 20th January 2021 at 6:01 pm

That’s what my husband and I listen to . All the rest seems too noisy 😊

• loislane 20th January 2021 at 6:09 pm

Great music, I love going back and listening to lyrics I can hear and sing along to. That is not living in the past at all, why should we leave what we loved behind? Go ahead and enjoy it, I’ve been on you tube to listen to them.

• JAT48T 20th January 2021 at 6:50 pm

First thing I do when I come down in the morning is to ask Alexa to play 60’s music, or music similar to the Kinks say …… love it! Takes me back / I know all the words and sing along / dance about …….. has to be good for me living in the past or not!! Go for it!! Xx

• mh002c7664 20th January 2021 at 7:12 pm

Not at all, I was born Deaf I have about 30% in left my right ear nothing in my left Being 70 I love my music It does not matter what year it was it when that song came out you know what you like and everyone is not the same, Enjoy Stay safe

• Deleted User 20th January 2021 at 8:21 pm

Do what makes you happy Ian.

• Jos B. Sheffield. 20th January 2021 at 9:45 pm

Cheers ‘Scot’.

• ddawnyy 21st January 2021 at 5:20 am

I listen to Gold Radio and I’m in the process of collecting The Beatles albums on CD…..Living in the past? It was a better place musically!

• Blauro 21st January 2021 at 8:13 am

Hi Ian,
      I like a variety of music genres going all the way back to the 60’s. It’s great to listen to the music you enjoy whatever that is. I find that some songs can take you back to people and places from your past.
      You carry on listening to what you enjoy! 😊

• BarbaraM 21st January 2021 at 3:49 pm

I listen all the time to 60’s music. I know all the lyrics to most songs and can sing along. As singing lifts the spirit I think this is a good thing. My go to radio stations are Gold, Magic or Smooth all really good. I also listen to Radio 2 but some of the discussions get a bit heavy so then I switch to my old favourites lol!
      I think this is perfectly normal. By the way – my 2 daughters listen to the modern stuff but still really love the 60’s music and know all the words! May have been brainwashed from an early age Lol !

• Jos B. Sheffield. 21st January 2021 at 5:06 pm

I’m with you on all those radio stations.
        Daughter now 39 but lovely memory of her coming home with a brand new CD she had discovered………….Abba Gold. She was a little miffed to find we could produce the original vinyl. Been there, done that!
        Still a favourite for us all.

• Toffee196 21st January 2021 at 7:12 pm

I used to have Magic as my go-to station but got bored by their very limited playlist. I used to love Baker Street but hate it now as it was played every single day (more than once sometimes!) Radio 2 for me now.

• paxton1974 21st January 2021 at 4:39 pm

Listen to music from the 60s to today personally prefer 70s but can find music to enjoy from any decade .

• Steve Trellis 21st January 2021 at 7:52 pm

I mostly listen to folk music. It’s not in the past, and It’s still being released. You’re part of a living tradition !!

• Jos B. Sheffield. 21st January 2021 at 8:09 pm

Exactly so! Thank You Steve.

• Steve Trellis 21st January 2021 at 8:15 pm

What folk music do you listen to ?

• Jos B. Sheffield. 21st January 2021 at 9:07 pm

Mainly contemporary and mainly with guitar accompanyment. For many years, (prior Covid), I have spent lots of evenings in the upstairs room of a particular Sheffield pub whose guest list is very varied. We have a couple of singer/songwriters locally whose singing and guitar style I particularly like. From the Midlands area you may know of Harvey Andrews. Both style and accompanyment are exactly to my taste.
          Regards.

• Deleted User 21st January 2021 at 7:57 pm

You can’t be accused of ‘living in the past’ when you’re listening to music from the past. Good music is timeless and will always be of relevance !!!!!!!

• Jos B. Sheffield. 21st January 2021 at 8:07 pm

Nice one, thank you

• FoodFan 22nd January 2021 at 10:27 am

Music is all about personal taste – I enjoy music across many decades. It’s not living in the past at all – it about taking pleasure in great tunes and lyrics. If your music choices make you happy, that’s all that matters.

• Welshgirl 22nd January 2021 at 11:05 am

I love 6 music because it gives me a fantastic mix, old stuff that I still love and new stuff I can enjoy and experience. Try it, especially in the folk arena there’s loads of new music that would complement your old loves. The sounds app lets you sample the programmes when you like. Mark Ratcliffe is a favourite for folk

• Jos B. Sheffield. 25th January 2021 at 9:34 am

Have only just seen your reply; appreciated, thank you. Dare I say I had never heard of 6 music. I have just googled it and unfortunately dropped in on something that sounded horrendous. I will not give up and with your recommendation, tune in the kitchen radio, check the programming and try from there.
      Thank You, all best wishes,
      Ian.

• Mikey 25th January 2021 at 2:00 pm

Cant beat 60s and 70s music. Love it. A lot of it anyway

• MargaretMags 25th January 2021 at 2:28 pm

Love the 60s\70s music. Songs you can sing along to. I do like some up to date artists, The Script, Mcfly for instance. I always listen to Radio 2 but their playlist can be a bit repetitive.

• Jos B. Sheffield. 25th January 2021 at 3:00 pm

It used to be radio 2 for me but not so keen this last few years; now more likely to be smooth radio or allowing Alexa to entertain me with her freebies.
      Best Wishes.

• Deleted User 26th January 2021 at 10:23 am

Just as new doesn’t mean better, old doesn’t mean out-of-date or bad, as you’re obviously finding, Ian.
      I recently completed uploading my (considerable) vinyl collection – heavily weighted to 60s/70s rock/blues/jazz – onto the online Discogs database.
      It’s a unique facility for people like us and the biggest online vinyl market in the world.
      (https://tinyurl.com/y35fcyr5)
      Keep listening – just turn it up!

• Christie Carter 29th January 2021 at 9:30 pm

I LOVE listening to 60’s music dancing and doing my exercises Fabulous cheers me up

• Proud to be English 6th February 2021 at 8:17 am

I love those 60 and 70 songs. Keep listening. Music is good for the soul. 😊

• Jos B. Sheffield. 6th February 2021 at 9:15 am

I have 3 iPods full of 60’s and 70’s so working in the garage, in the kitchen or at the charity shop I always have that option.
      P.s. Cannot help but like the name ‘Proud to be English’. Its well time we were hearing much more of that sentiment.
      Regards
      Jos.

Add