Home Forums Health I need exercises that will strengthen my back and...

anniemills99 Posted 5 months ago
I need exercises that will strengthen my back and hip muscles

I’ve been told recently that the arthritis in my spine is getting worse and my be causing the pain in my hip, knee and all down my leg. I’m already on prescription painkillers and anti inflammatory drugs and don’t want to go further down that path if I can help it. I’ve been advised to exercise the muscles in by lower back and legs to strengthen these areas. I’m looking for any ideas on what to do.
A self referral to a physio is probably going to take a while.

6 likes & 15 replies
    • Caro 10th March 2022 at 8:18 am

Hi. I was give this excercise by a physiotherapist: Lie on your back, bend your knees up to your chest as far as you can. Whilst keeping shoulders on the floor and using the placing of your arms for balance, roll your knees to one side as far as you can, bring them back to the centre, and repeat on the other side. You will feel the hip muscles pulling as you do it.

• Linde 12th March 2022 at 3:24 pm

Sounds good, Caro, I can picture that one.
        I am doing standing up exercises which help: raise left leg slowly to your side, then do the other side. Hold for a short while, you will feel the muscles pulling.
        Another one: stand astride, step slowly to one side with left leg, then let the other follow. Back again, into starting position. Repeat.
        Another good one is the squat ( very ungainly, but works!) both hands holding on to a rail or similar, pretend to slowly lower your behind, with legs slightly apart. Hold for a short while, then rise and stand up straight.
        Things we have to do to keep moving! All the best, Linde

• Team Rest Less 10th March 2022 at 11:41 am

Hi Annie,
      thank you very much for your post, hopefully the literature you will find here has some good and useful information for you on that topic https://restless.co.uk/health/healthy-body/fitness-and-exercise/
      In fact, I suggest the entire health section: https://restless.co.uk/health/

• Bryony 12th March 2022 at 7:47 am

Try to do gentle excercises as arthritis is worse if you keep still too much. Keep warm as it doesn’t like cold or too much heat.
        Many remedies in homapathic health shops too which do help but find out first what’s best.
        Good luck 🤞

• Welshtherapist 12th March 2022 at 8:03 am

I would still suggest a self referral to a physio who can give you the correct exercises for your issues. What works for one person doesn’t always work for another. At least the physio could check that you are doing them correctly.
      Another option may be to seek help privately from a physio, exercise professional or other complementary therapists in your area.

• anniemills99 12th March 2022 at 10:49 pm

My self referral has bee passed on to the physio department at the Horder Centre so I’ll be going to see her at the end of the month.

• Welshtherapist 14th March 2022 at 10:55 am

If you have been doing any exercise found online, then do ask the physio’s opinion as to whether they are suitable for your particular problem. If you print off anything you are doing that can be really a good way to explain the exercise and get advice.
          Besides exercise it may be worth exploring some gentle re-balancing therapies which work well alongside anything else you do. As you can tell by my online name, I m a therapist based in Wales, but you may want to explore the EMMETT Technique and see if anyone in your area can offer it. I see a lot of people who see a physio as well as coming to me.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 12th March 2022 at 8:13 am

I have several friends who totally rely on Extract of Green Lipped Muscle for arthritis.

• Nickie 12th March 2022 at 10:02 am

The anti inflammatory drugs are just dealing with the symptoms so best to avoid if you can. Have you looked at your diet. I think that would be one of the first things to address. Dairy and gluten are best avoided. There are numerous books on the subject. Info at the following link may help.
      https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/rheumatoid-psoriatic-arthritis
      Wishing you the best of luck with your healing.

• JLR 12th March 2022 at 10:22 am

I also had bad back probs and was directed to the ‘Alexander technique’ Possible worth Googling. It helped me

• Josie123 12th March 2022 at 7:50 pm

Take a look at the (online) standing exercises offered by The Girl With The Pilates Mat -thegirlwiththepilatesmat.com (may be co.uk – I have her bookmarked so seldom type it in). She has a multitude of exercises for everybody plus for people with spine/hip/knee/shoulder etc., problems, including arthritis. I have osteoarthritis in my shoulder. I wince doing some of the movements but, boy, I feel better afterwards! I appreciate you not wanting to rely on anti inflammatory meds – I feel the same way. I hope your flare up ebbs soon.

• Dawn Mayree 13th March 2022 at 10:07 am

Hello, I was told 15 years ago that I had Arthritis in my spine. I started drinking
      pineapple juice as that takes down any inflammation and I touch my toes
      150 times a day that is 15 times in intervals of 10 times every day. I do not have
      any problems with my back only if I am out and about and forget to do them
      I may get a little twinge. But stretching is the best thing for arthritis, but you
      have to do them every day, it may sound a lot but you soon get used to doing
      them and it becomes a good habit. But just start off touching your toes slowly
      and gradually build yourself up to doing more, a lot of people cannot touch
      their toes, so it may be difficult at first, but well worth doing.
      Good Luck, Dawn Mayree

• DavidVirgo 13th March 2022 at 10:24 am

PILATES

• MandySally 13th March 2022 at 9:30 pm

Sit-ups are good for the back – if it’s uncomfortable you can do them with your knees bent up. Stretch out afterwards by turning over, kneeling and stretching arms out straight in front. Good luck with your exercises:)

• Selsdon 13th March 2022 at 10:09 pm

Try Pilates and/or yoga, but make sure the instructor is aware of your particular problems. Good luck!

Add