Home Forums Food & Drink I helped out with our school dinners yesterday. Th...

Bakingbree Posted 7 months ago
I helped out with our school dinners yesterday. The kids had chicken casserole, Yorkshire pud, roast potatoes, carrots snd broccoli followed by apple crumble and custard. It all looked really delicious. And nothing like what I had for my school dinners.

I remember eating awful sliced tongue, tough liver complete with tubes and frog spawn pudding. What are your memories of school dinners?

5 likes & 13 replies
    • Linpap 15th October 2021 at 9:32 am

I remember frog spawn tapioca awful stuff we weren’t allowed out to play till we’d eaten is all I missed a few playtimes…but I did quite like the Windoline pink custard with sponge cake and treacle sponge was my favourite

• Bakingbree 15th October 2021 at 2:11 pm

The sponges were my favourite pud, especially the one with sultanas. I never liked the custard and still not a big fan of it. The milk puddings were always awful.

• Dave the poet 1970 15th October 2021 at 9:41 am

My sister was a lunchtime supervisor (dinner lady) until recently and she’s told me the quality of food is much better these days
      I remember overcooked veg and mash potatoes that u could use to build houses 😂
      Some of it was good tho in first and middle school we had a few nice meals but high school was just anything with chips lol

• Bakingbree 15th October 2021 at 2:12 pm

School dinners are much better than they used to be but I suppose it depends on the school. Some are better than others. We are lucky in that our school dinners are fab.

• Renoir64 15th October 2021 at 10:29 am

I hated school dinners (well, school in general)
      Appalling stuff
      The stereotypes were actually correct. Overcooked vegatables. Lumpy gravy and custard and I would imagine very low nutritional value.
      But this was the 70s when food in general wasn’t what it is now.
      I’m very glad to see that it’s moved on.

• Bakingbree 15th October 2021 at 10:58 am

Oddly, my secondary school meals in the 70s was better than my primary school meals. I remember the only thing I wouldn’t eat was the mash potatoes that obviously came in powder form!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 15th October 2021 at 10:39 am

Sounds great. My local primary school used to serve awful dinners when my daughter was there, 15 years ago. The problem was over cooking. Vegetables which would pass through a sieve and pizzas which had been standing so long they had curled.

• Bakingbree 15th October 2021 at 10:55 am

We are really lucky at my school. It’s won awards and we use produce from our school vegetable plot which the children help to maintain. The food is delicious and the children don’t moan that they rarely get chips!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 15th October 2021 at 10:40 am

Oddly my school dinners were good. Until we were privatised in about 1980. Then out when decent cooked food and in came junk food, small portions and high prices. Seems school dinners are a postcode lottery.

• Michael Bennett 16th October 2021 at 4:00 pm

I’ve been to so many restaurants with fancy desert menus when all I really wanted was apple crumble and custard! Can I come 🙂

• Bakingbree 16th October 2021 at 4:54 pm

Our school crumble is legendary! I’m afraid that you’d have to sit on a very tiny chair surrounded by hundreds of noisy little people. There has to be a downside to a good thing!

• Michael Bennett 16th October 2021 at 6:19 pm

Do you get to take home the leftovers? 🙂

Add