Home Forums Health I have been suffering with right sided tinnitus fo...

Barbara13 Posted 5 months ago
I have been suffering with right sided tinnitus for the past 8 months and finding it more and more distressing as time goes on. Just came out of the blue. My gp has not been sympathetic. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions re coping mechanisms?
12 replies
    • Ad Astra 22nd August 2021 at 1:26 pm

My tinnitus also came suddenly in both ears and like you say distressing, relentless and hoping it was temporary. I had hearing aids fitted with a noise feature which is supposed to distract from the inner ear noise but it wasn’t much relief. Just another noise drowning out another. Its been a few years and I have adjusted to the sound especially in the morning when you first wake up. There is apparently no cure. If anyone can give you better advice than mine I’d be interested. In other words try to accept it as part of your life.

• Barbara13 22nd August 2021 at 3:37 pm

Thanks for your reply. It’s such a weird complaint…one day you’re fine and the next you’re not and probably never will be. I have heard things about devices to cancel out the noise but isn’t that just giving you a different noise. What upsets me most is I used to be an avid reader but my concentration is so poor it’s no longer pleasurable. I do find I’m distracted if I’m with someone but I live on my own and spend most of my time alone. I’ll keep looking for helpful tips which I’m happy to pass on.

• Ad Astra 22nd August 2021 at 4:47 pm

Audio books, pod casts may help you when it’s hard to sleep. There is even a sound pillow with audio output that would play music. Its just the sound of silence is a memory you cant believe is gone and never appreciated when you had it. Like I said you get used to it but I never thought I would. I wish I could say something more positive as its an underrated condition that due to the nature of the inner ear can’t be resolved with surgery or medication.

• Barbara13 23rd August 2021 at 5:31 pm

I agree its underrated. I’ve heard about it but never appreciated the impact it has until now.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 23rd August 2021 at 7:59 am

Hi I’ve just read your post re tinnitus.Have you considered alternative means to help cope with the condition? I.e acupressure?

• Gary K 23rd August 2021 at 9:11 am

I’ve had it in my right ear for over 30 years. I lost my right ear drum and various bits of the working of the ear through a severe infection. As far as mine is concerned, I get peaks of the noise when I’m stressed, and sometimes ‘it just does’. The rest of the time, its just there. I couldn’t do much at the outset because I had no ear drum left, but about 10 years ago, I was able to have an artificial one grafted in. If your ear drum is undamaged, I was told about warm oils which can help, I think it was a base oil infused with other things, warmed up to body temperature, and applied into the ear. They were of no use to me, because I couldn’t have fluid in there with no drum, so I didn’t take it any further. Might be worth a little research.

• Barbara13 23rd August 2021 at 5:27 pm

Thank you for your reply. Apparently my ear drum is fine. Not heard about the oil techniques I’ll check it out.

• Gary K 23rd August 2021 at 5:53 pm

Hope you find a way that suits you. As SiouxsieF has said below, I find music helps, and I’ve usually got something playing.

• SiouxsieF 23rd August 2021 at 12:44 pm

I find hearing aids help with my tinnitus. Also having music or the radio on in the background, through I’ve heard white noise helps too.
      Relaxation and breathing exercises help to try and focus your mind on something else.
      Coping mechanisms seem to be the way to go rather than a cure unfortunately

• David in Zone 6 24th August 2021 at 5:47 pm

I’ve had tinnitis for the past forty years (one too many Motorhead concerts). I find that if I sit and breath deeply for a couple of minutes then imagine turning a volume control knob on an old radio down, then it decreases the volume. I don’t know if it works for anybody else, but it’s worth a try.
      I’ve tried turning the dial right down or switching the radio off, but that doesn’t get rid of it.

Add