Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure I have a couple of interests, not bags full but lo...

Ladyjd65 Posted 9 months ago
I have a couple of interests, not bags full but looking to have more of outdoorsy kind of interests! Kayaking springs to mind and wild swimming. Been thinking about it for a while … too long! Anyone out there that feels the same?
3 likes & 22 replies
    • LucasH 25th August 2021 at 11:38 am

Both kayaking and wild swimming sounds good fun.
      I do like to swim in the sea when I’m on the coast. I haven’t been swimming inland yet.
      Where do you go to swim?

• N125 26th August 2021 at 12:16 pm

I went in the River Otter in Devon 😊

• Ladyjd65 28th August 2021 at 10:32 am

I do like sea swimming although it’s more about bobbing about & relaxing! Not keen on pool swimming!
        Lalelam do an early morning swim at 0600 but haven’t been yet! Need to invest in a wetsuit!

• Forestbather 26th August 2021 at 8:08 am

Absolutely 100% do it. We all waste too much time twatting about. Enjoy!!!!! PS – can I come with you??? Lol.

• Katrina1963 26th August 2021 at 8:26 am

Absolutely feel the same – fancy Stand up paddle boarding too . Need to find a local group in South Wales who won’t laugh at at a middle aged newbie😃

• N125 26th August 2021 at 11:28 am

They do that here on Marine Lake in Southport, was watching them the other day while walking the dog. Does look quite fun. A friend told me it’s a really good form of excerise as you actually use a lot of muscle groups trying to balance & paddle. 😊

• Ladyjd65 28th August 2021 at 10:34 am

Yes and paddle boarding 😀

• N125 26th August 2021 at 11:24 am

Ueh feel the same. Had a go at kayakin while in the RN many moons ago & loved it. Thinking of doing a safety course on canoeing & kayaking & re-kindling that one !
      Had a go at wild swimming while down in Devon visiting my Grandkids in a local River there & loved it.
      Also love Hill & fell walking & getting back into that slowly. Not many hills in immediate location as I live in Southport, nr Liverpool. 🙂🙂🙂

• Katrina1963 26th August 2021 at 11:31 am

I’m not far from the brecons and the South Wales coastal path so I’m lucky on that score . I’ve joined a couple of organised walks via “meetup” which has been ok – well organised and eclectic mix of people – maybe with checking that out too

• N125 26th August 2021 at 12:13 pm

That’s where I 1st learnt canoeing in the forces at a little place called Tally-bont ? Very old in the water in January though lol 😆

• JaneG 26th August 2021 at 12:20 pm

Count me in!! I’ve been nagging friends recently to join me in kayaking and stand up paddle boarding but had no takers!
      I live in East Riding of Yorkshire but am happy to travel .Bring it on !!

• N125 26th August 2021 at 1:56 pm

I come from Hull originally! All the clan are still there. My Brother lives in south cave, nice area,, lots of walks on the Wolds.I go back over a lot.Mam n Dad getting on now.

• JaneG 26th August 2021 at 8:54 pm

South Cave is lovely .I know those walks well having done the Wolds way. As Hull is so flat, South Cave is the best place to find a few walks that get the heart rate up 🤣. Sadly the closest places I can find for kayak or SUP hire are in N Yorks or Lincolnshire!

• N125 26th August 2021 at 10:49 pm

Have you tried around the Brandesburton area ? Pretty sure they cater for that around that way ?

• Christopher Leslie 26th August 2021 at 3:42 pm

Love it why is it called wild swimming its just swimming in the river or sea, something we used to do as kids often unsupervised never considering it wild or even exciting just fun

• Ladyjd65 28th August 2021 at 10:36 am

Thanks guys n gals! A pity I’m all the way down in Surrey!!

• JonW 29th August 2021 at 9:48 am

We bought 2 sit on top Ocean kayaks years ago. Had some great fun in Cornwall and Devon. Remember the shop assistant telling me you’ll have them for ever and pass them on to your children. He was right they now love it too.
      Anyone wants to have a go – I’m in the Nottingham area.

• Julia3142 5th September 2021 at 10:38 pm

Lots of lakes in the Lake district where you can go swimming .. I have been swimming in Bassenthwaite, Derwentwater, Crummockwater and Buttermere.. but apart from a few hot days per year, you almost always need a wetsuit. Don’t forget to use a hi-vis float if you are going to swim somewhere with boats and if you want to kayak on inland lakes you will most probably need to purchase a permit. Take care .. have fun 🙂 https://www.sallyscottages.co.uk/blog/9-wild-swimming-spots-lake-district

Add