Home Forums Family & Relationships I did not know much about my parents…

Arnold Posted 4 months ago
I did not know much about my parents…

I know very little about my parents. They I’m sure had many struggles being a mixed race couple back in the fifties. However, I have found some things out by going on ancestry websites, but it is not the personal life of my parents. Being the oldest in our immediate family and having no one alive now that I can communicate with to ask it has left me with so many questions.

So, t is for this reason that I have started to write about my life for my grandchildren and my children if they are interested.
I say that because they do not seem to want or have the time to know about my youth or childhood. I have put this down to the lifestyle of the modern parent having to both work and look after their own growing family.
But when I have passed on they may at some point be curious to who their grandad / Dad really was. I am being honest about everything as I am not perfect and youngsters today don’t need to be lied too.
I am blessed in as much as, I can recall being very very young, being in my cot and being wheeled around in my pram.
So, while I can remember I am putting it all down. It is a cathartic experience, the emotions that come up and the memories that I have recalled as I type have been emotional even down to tasting the sweets my mum used to buy me when i was good. I could taste them as I typed.
In these times where Alzheimer’s seems to be on the increase, I would urge you to consider putting your memories down on paper. I have included as many photos as I can as I remember them, even down the the brand of tea we used to drink when I was a kid. it adds to the history, pictures of the cars my parents had the joys of going to my Grans house. so many memories.
The experience can be joyous and sad, but so very rewarding. I promise you will remember more than you thought. Pictured my mum and dad and me with my wife Jane

3 likes & 4 replies
    • Alexandra 2013 3rd October 2021 at 1:22 pm

I really like this idea. One day when the children & grandchildren reach old age then they will be curious so it will be good for them to have all this to look back on

• Arnold 4th October 2021 at 10:21 am

Thank you Alexandra, I hope their curiosity will encourage them to find something out about their family history. I do plan to it presented as a book when I have passed on.

• Dutch Sonja 4th October 2021 at 8:08 am

What a wonderful idea and lovely pictures. Thank you for sharing. 🌻

• Arnold 4th October 2021 at 10:18 am

Thank you Sonja. It has been said that a picture tells a thousand stories, I am hoping that the pictures ignite an interest in my children and grandchildren.
        I am enjoying the process of writing though.

Add