Home Forums Health I am recommending the many singing for health grou...

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Afi.
Caroline Pugh Posted 1 month ago
I am recommending the many singing for health groups. The feedback I get is amazing, so check out your local groups.

Obviously I’m not advertising my services directly, but I really can recommend singing to maintain and even improve vocal and respiratory conditions. You often don’t need experience or a “good” voice, some groups don’t work towards performances, just sing for the fun and enjoyment, and recollection of wonderful memories.
Singing is proven to help with so many mental and physical conditions and a good tune and lyrics can do wonders for our general well-being in addition to being a social activity.
Just as an example, a new member of one of my groups has recently had a stroke. Going to social activity groups was hard work because engaging in the constant conversation was tiring. However singing famous songs with short comments in between got him much more engaged as there was less pressure to respond ( even though he was singing most of the time) and when he needed a break, he could just listen and still feel part of it all.
So do find a group near you to join and have an hour or so of wonderful melodies and recollections.

4 likes & 11 replies
    • Afi 3rd July 2022 at 7:21 am

Any advice on how to find singing groups?

• Rockie 3rd July 2022 at 10:44 am

Rock Choir is a national choir and are always looking for new members! We have fun, make beautiful music, make new friends and make people happy!! And no, you don’t need to be able to read music! Just search Rock Choir and find your local group. Check them out on Facebook and YouTube too. I joined Rock Choir 5 years ago and have never looked back. I no longer suffer from anxiety and have got my confidence back as well as making lots of new friends and singing some beautiful songs. Please give it a go. From a Dorset ‘Rockie’

• Caroline Pugh 3rd July 2022 at 11:25 am

Depends where you live. I do singing sessions in Dorset- Wimborne, Dorchester, Blandford and surrounding areas.
        Look on Help and Kindness website, ask at your local surgery, Facebook, local publications. Or message me with your area and I’ll try to help

• Afi 3rd July 2022 at 3:06 pm

I live in kensal rise London, any advice most welcome thanks

• Shereen 4th July 2022 at 4:11 pm

I’d love to find a choir to join. I joined one called Nordoff Robbins Online Choir and attended their zoom meeting once or twice. But it wasn’t really a choir in the true sense of the term because we couldn’t hear everyone else in the ‘choir’ singing together :-/

• Afi 4th July 2022 at 9:32 pm

Sheree i agree online choir not at all the same. Try rock choir i suggested above, have just booked a few taster session

• Shereen 5th July 2022 at 11:39 am

Thanks Afi. But the nearest Rock Choir to me is a few miles away and only meets on Tuesday evening between 8-9.30pm and that is a bit late for me to travel there and back by bus. I notice that membership also costs £300 per year.

• Afi 7th July 2022 at 7:51 am

Thats expensive! I couldn’t make it to my taster but they are now breaking for the summer so my taster is in Sept. Hope you can find a nice local choir!

• Mizzy 5th July 2022 at 12:31 pm

Singing in whatever capacity, choral, rock, opera, whatever, is amazing for lung health. BUT it can be very easy to ‘over sing’ leading to damaging the vocal chords.
      If you’ve never sung before, it’s a wise idea to book a few lessons to learn how to sing safely and you’ll be singing for longer. (I’m not a teacher, by the way, just a singer, 78 and still singing, sometime solos, and yes I had lessons in my younger years!)

Add