Home Forums Health How to learn the skill of optimism

Team Rest Less Posted 2 months ago

Life is full of ups and downs, and being able to remain optimistic can help you to move through even some of the darkest times. Optimism is not about seeing rainbows and butterflies around every corner, but allowing us to learn from situations, find small positives, and see new opportunities – even when things get…

1 like & 27 replies Read
    • 18th April 2020 at 8:51 am

Great optimistic piece! Very helpful. Could develop by shining a light on how people have turned life or their minds around to be in a more optimistic placePosted by Liz P

• 29th April 2020 at 8:18 am

Liz P
      Very helpful points I agree. Starting the day by keeping a gratitude journal is a great way of beginning the day on a positive note., for example.
      Liz P Do you possibly have a contribution to make to illustrate the points in the article, as you suggested?Posted by Anonymous

• 23rd May 2020 at 8:12 am

I am about to start trying this as a person in later mid life. It would be lovely to hear about others who have experienced a positive outcome as a result of changing their mindset in this way.Posted by HJ

• 23rd May 2020 at 3:04 pm

Very helpful piece; however, the OCD in me has noticed that tip number 3 is missing …. what have you done with it??? 😉 My positive outlook here is that you will find tip number 3 and enlighten us all further!Posted by TickTock

• Helen Burns 26th May 2020 at 5:44 pm

Hi TickTock. Thank you so much for pointing out that error. This week’s mystery is: ‘where is tip number 3?’ Our positive outlook is that the 5 tips were just the right amount of information and all you needed (or that tip 3 shows up!) Thank you again, we’ll get that amended.Posted by Helen

• 16th July 2020 at 6:35 am

As a recovering alcoholic (4years 11 months), I enjoyed your article very much. We live a 12 step programme or design for living which teaches us a new and positive way of life. An attitude of gratitude is how i start my day. I find 5 things to be grateful for, write it in a text n send it to other members. Accept the things I cannot change,change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.Posted by Anon

• 2nd August 2020 at 1:57 pm

As an eternal pessimist this article was a ray of light in the dark shining on a path to a better life!Posted by Malcolm Wheeler

• 8th August 2020 at 7:54 pm

Thankyou for this article. A great read. You make some good points that I can recognise in my life and now I have a way forward.
      Thanks again
      AlanPosted by AlanB

• 24th August 2020 at 10:53 am

I have suffered from anxiety and depression intermittently for about 10 years and have had some success in trying to take an optimistic approach, or sometimes more like an anti-pessimistic approach. This takes the form of me wondering whether to go through with a job application, interview, presentation or difficult meeting or conversation, and me ultimately telling myself, “what’s the worst that could happen?”.

Thank you so much for a very useful resource to remind myself that I have a more fortunate life than many others, to be grateful for it, and that optimism breeds courage.Posted by K

• 14th October 2020 at 8:03 am

Thank you . I needed to be remind myself what I have in life. The bad thoughts we have are not real. They are stories made up in our minds. Life is hard but there is always something to be grateful for.
      Love to everyone PamPosted by Pam

• 14th November 2020 at 2:10 pm

I have to say, i classify myself as a realist Not a pessimist! There IS a difference.

I Do the “gratefulness” writing every day, But it doesn’t make the bad things any better, they are still there.

Such as ,going for lovely walk, you still go back all the problems you have left behind ~ they haven’t magically gone away, or rearranged themselves into something marvellous!

I have very few “friends” these days, as they have withdrawn into themselves~ looking after Number One with the current situation~ (can’t blame them) ~So They are not “there” for me when I need to phone them.
      I have tried a CBT course recently and at the end ,the councillor was very upset/sad/puzzled why she hadn’t been able to help me find any solutions t my anxieties ,etc .
      ( I had “answers “for every scenario we discussed!)Posted by jane

• 14th November 2020 at 5:27 pm

I have learned something from taking the time to read this article- thank you so much. I did not know optimism was a skill, and you have given me a new perspective toward this, which I needed.
      I am grateful to you.Posted by Alison Reeves

• 6th March 2021 at 3:05 pm

Living with a life changing operation I had ,mentally I find it harder to deal with than physically. I will practice finding something to be grateful for each day , to live each day one day at a time a hope for the best. This is a process you have to remind yourself off.Posted by Irene

• 21st March 2021 at 9:46 am

I am a very negative person trying hard to see the positives in situations. This article was really useful to me and I will be doing some of the tips. Thank you.Posted by Lynda Brown

• 22nd March 2021 at 6:43 pm

I felt quite pessimistic before I had a nervous breakdown. In recovery from this situation I developed a life threatening situation and was immediately optimistic for the future. That wake up call gave me the confidence to take some time out of work, retrain and enjoy life a whole lot better. Set backs in life are there to challenge us all. I think of it as a hurdle along life that needs new techniques to be learned. Set backs will happen all the time!Posted by Aileen

• 14th June 2021 at 8:12 am

A lot of the suggestions are very helpful But( haha,here’s t.he pessimistic side of me coming out) l think of myself as a realist. Life has its ups and downs that you have No control over. In an ideal world ,a person Foes have “ someone’s “ to interact with, etc, but what if you Font!? ( or, i n my case, which is one of the reasons for my low mood/ anxiety) l Do have friends of sorts,But they are all too busy living their own lives, they have No time for me. InWould Love to be able to phone them for a chat,or even get a response from my texts or emails, but l don’t ( only a lot later, saying how busy they have been!) do you get my point? You Can’t Make folks find time for you if they don’t want toPosted by Jane

• 24th August 2021 at 11:56 am

Hi Jane, try a different approach. Meet new people with similar interests or try an activity that’s completely new to you. An example could be to swim or join a group activity (aerobics etc) and commit to going at least 7 times. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to strike up a conversation and it’s a great way to meet new friends. (Think of these new people as friends you haven’t met yet, ask questions and be genuinely interested in their reply. it works for me when I’m feeling insecure)Posted by Andy

• 31st August 2021 at 10:12 am

COVID has prevented lots of previous interactions. I Used to belong to a few groups and even ran one,and wrote a newsletter.

But,as l Keep trying to get through to folks, Most of them have enough going on in their own lives to want or need to “ make new friends”,and any interaction is superficial.

I Can talk to people,and know how to get into conversation,but that’s as far as it goes!

Some of the groups are restarting,however,l have my personal reservations in going back due to the pandemic. In any case,l proved my point with the “
        friendship “ route, since,despite me trying to keep in touch whilst all the clubs were shut,not One person
        responded to my phone calls and emails!Posted by Jane

• 31st August 2021 at 9:22 am

I have to say, that all the tips and suggestions to Be/Think positive in all situations is Very hard/ warning, as most of the time,”life” ,with all its ups and downs, get in the way!

I am A Realist,and find it’s easier to deal with life with That outlook,otherwise l am Permanently disappointed and let down by people.

I have tried and tried to be permanently positive , but get let down,so feel even MORE down. Any suggestions??Posted by Jane

• Team Rest Less 1st September 2021 at 12:37 pm

Hi Jane,

thank you so much for your comment, sorry to hear that you are finding difficult to stay positive.

In addition to what we recommend with the article, maybe you can try and engage with other Members of the Community at Rest Less: https://community.restless.co.uk/?

That may help with regaining trust in people as that seems to be the matter that you care about the most?

Hope that helps.Posted by Gaetano

• 19th October 2021 at 7:32 pm

I am fortunately a natural optimist. However, the skill of rethinking any situation and changing ones perspective has been very helpful in many situations. We can not control external events but we can control how we react/respond to them.

To comment on those who call themselves realists; the first 6 years of life are called the magic years as all things are possible to a child. They have none of the roadblocks or practical considerations we adults set so much store by. As a child, if you were told often enough that what you thought was not “realistic”, the magical ability may have been prematurely squished. You may need to challenge your “realistic belief system” for you to be able to access the creative in you. Maybe start, as a child might, by saying to your adult self, “but what if…”Posted by Kathy Pierce

• 23rd October 2021 at 5:05 pm

I am a negative person who is struggling with anxiety, trying to improve. Does anyone know any online chat groups I can join with people with similar problemsPosted by John

• Anu 25th March 2022 at 5:13 pm

thanks for the article on optimism. trying to learn thru experiences on daily basis. will certainly use some of the ideas above.

Add