Home Forums General How much longer can Boris stay as an MP never mind...

madeleine45 Posted 7 months ago
How much longer can Boris stay as an MP never mind the PM

His arrogance is overwhelming. He hasnt even got the guts to apologise for his lies and sleaze and leave , but is waiting to be pushed out. What an appalling example of the worst kind of politician we are showing to the world. Incompetent, untrustworthy and still trying to wriggle out of whatever he can. If those tory politicians who have standards had got rid of him quickly , we could have accepted that there are good and bad in all parties, but the way he has been allowed to carry on his hypocritical ways does not show any tory politician in a good light.

14 likes & 79 replies
    • Selsdon 7th February 2022 at 3:00 pm

He’ll stay an MP until the next general election! How long will he remain PM? I suspect one more screw up and he’ll be out.

• madeleine45 7th February 2022 at 3:09 pm

Well she MAY have had one go at the job, and no doubt is going to sleep with a smile on her lips , but I would have thought that at least (as far as we know ) she neither lies, cheats or surrounds herself with greedy croneys, so I would have thought that Theresa May would be a good choice of leader, done the job before – got a good idea of what it entails – not a clown – doesnt waffle about Peppa Pig (wonder what his rip off money was from that plug) so if the Tories want to have any chance at all she seems to have at least the possibility of making a much better effort than Boorish Johnson!

• backofbeyond 7th February 2022 at 3:09 pm

I’ve heard it said that all political careers end in failure so I suppose it’s only the nature of things that Boris’s time seems to be coming to an end. If it is of course. Politicians through the ages do seem to try and ride a lot of these storms out in the hope that something else will distract the media (and via them, the voters). We do seem to be very magpie like in our attention span, flitting from one shiny argument to the next almost at random.

‘Dubious’ politicians are nothing new of course and you don’t have to go very far back in history to see examples of them mired in scandal or problems of their own making – Lloyd George’s cash for honours scandal a hundred years ago (and its echo in 2006), Churchill regarded as unfit for high office in the 1930’s, Wilson’s raincoat issues in the 60’s / 70’s and Thatcher only surviving on the back of the Falklands.

I do find it hard to comprehend how nobody in no 10 saw the double standards the parties represented and how they would play out in a time when just down the road people were being fined £10,000 for doing the same and others were being stopped from visiting their dying relatives. Time and time again politicians seem to fall into the same sort of trap – often enough that it makes you wonder why. Is it arrogance or ineptitude? Boris used to be my local mp and I once spent most of a day with him on some local event. He seemed a very easy going, likeable sort of bloke, but one that wouldn’t know what day of the week it was without his p.a. to sort out all the details. Maybe power does corrupt and its changed him. It’s certainly aged him, as it seems to do to all the incumbents, yet they almost all have to be dragged out the door feet first.

As for what comes next – which one of the seven dwarfs is going to have the mantle thrust upon them? If there was an obvious leader in waiting I suspect Boris would be out by now.

When my daughter first went to university it was to study politics and international relations. She quit after the first year, saying that her fellow students were ‘all idiots’. She’s a very good (if somewhat harsh) judge of character and these are the people now making their way gradually up the greasy pole. I suspect however Boris’s indiscretions play out they won’t be the last.

• Shirlann 7th February 2022 at 3:12 pm

According to the media it’s the woman behind him who is really running everything 🙃

• Forestbather 8th February 2022 at 9:02 am

Which makes him even more unsuitable to hold any kind of job, if it’s true.

No bloke in my life has ever told me what to do. That would make me a gullible, useless twat.

• Kenton 7th February 2022 at 4:23 pm

Now PM branded offensive after he sang I will survive with his new Comms chief who describes him as a lovable clown.

• Reverend Nick 7th February 2022 at 7:20 pm

It openly acknowledged that his new Comms chief has been brought in to stop him making a tit of himself. This is the most senior role in the country – is it not disturbing that this incumbent has to have an official nanny. ‘Do you want a wee-wee before we go to to the Houses of Parliament? Come on, shall we have a try?’ This is the man who will be advising the military should things reach crisis point in the Ukraine.

However, he will be gone at some point – this is when all the real horror stories about his tenure will come out.

• Woodcrafter-Keith 7th February 2022 at 8:58 pm

In the words of private Fraser were doomed I say were doomed

• madeleine45 7th February 2022 at 10:09 pm

I have lived abroad in several countries and been involved with consular and embassy staff, and I can guarantee that these really decent, knowledgeable career diplomats ,who work very hard to present Britain in a good light, and be as positive as possible, will be sitting with their heads in their hands at the destruction of all their efforts to present us in a good light. The fact that Johnson is so beyond the pale that he is prepared to let this fiasco carry on for his own ends and didnt even have the decency to apologize for what he has done , and mean it, and to leave immediately, is making things worse and worse. Now whatever our people say there will be that idiot making things worse by the day. How can the ambassador say that we will commit to anything or make binding agreements when there is total lack of trust in a lying prime minister. He is MEANT to be the top and be a good role model. He has decimated all the good work and effort that others have put in over the years. I can tell you that I have been in a revolution situation where people from both sides said to me that while their radio is telling them one thing or another and they were waiting for the BBC world service to check. Instead of downsizing and making false accusations about the bbc world service and other programmes they should be grateful that the politicians can bask in the trust and belief in the facts as given by the bbc. All that comes to mind now is the words that used to really matter and still do in many parts of the world. “My word is my Bond”” That has been an honourable motto of many, still is as far as I know, in things like the diamond trade.
      As a teacher with young juniors, if there was a little outbreak of children taking other childrens favourite crayon or toy or whatever I used to explain to them that if they told lies or took things that didnt belong to them they would never be believed or trusted again. That when they were grown up and went for a job or wanted to borrow some money from a bank for something important, if they had lost their good name , they would never get it back and was it worth losing their good name for ever. So I would say if you are going to lose your good name then rob the bank of england or the crown jewels., not for a dinky toy. Even as a 6 or 7 year old the children understood what I was talking about and it usually stopped any more borrowing or stealing. In more than 60 years I have never been so ashamed to call myself British in my life. In my view it was ludicrous to leave the EU, but I accept that it was the choice made in the poll, however slanted the politicians made it look. The constant denigration of immigrants , conveniently ignored the fact that there were many of we British people working abroad as immigrants in other countries ,and that it is a two way road, not as they wanted to portray it as everyone wanting to come to Britain. We were abroad earning money for this country and trying to present ourselves as decent, honest, working people who could be trusted. That the football crowd who came to Lisbon to play Ben Fica , and who got drunk , made a nuiscances of themselves, used racist language and behaved arrogantly and selfishly, were not a representative view of all British people. I was singing professionally in a very important well known choir, and through this I met a very wide section of all the differing levels of society. You got into the choir by auditon only so you really did have a wide range of nationalities etc. I was ashamed of the behaviour of the football group , but once they had gone we were able to build a better view and mix and show the portuguese people that we could be civilised etc.

But this!! Nothing can be attempted to improve the situation as long as this liar is there , showing no remorse and shame. How do you think other societies will view British people now. I thought Trump was the pits but my god this is worse! If we are all tarred with the same brush we will never be trusted again. The only way is for all decent and honest people to demand that he goes and we can hope eventually , when we have found a politician of trust and honesty , we might be able to lift our heads up. I think of people like John Smith, who sadly died , who was respected and a person you could look up to. Well the Tories chose to get rid of Theresa May, and I do not have any idea of things she may have done or not done, but my goodness she was never known to bring the british government and people to such a low depth. I am not bringing politics of any particular section up here this is not party politics now , in my view , but bringing the Parliament and all politicians of integrity and honour down. Boorish Johnson has even tried to smear people in the hopes that his own appalling behaviour can be hidden under more lies, and the fact that he is prepared to try to use Jimmy Saville to wriggle out of the central position of appalling attitude , arrogance, just shows the depth he is prepared to plumb in his determination to stay there.

• Pops McCarthy 8th February 2022 at 10:01 am

A while back I was in a discussion about what was the best job to have. I said “Politician”. Reason?
      It’s well paid, got terrific perks, I can break rules and laws and promises, make a pig’s ear of everything I do, make everyone’s life a total misery without having a conscience or compassion, and I don’t have to know anything about the job I do. I’ll also get a nice pension and well paid non executive positions In corporate industry!!!!!!!

• Neil Hrd 8th February 2022 at 10:29 am

To answer the original question “How long can Boris stay as an MP never mind the PM” there are several possible answers. As far as remaining as PM is concerned there is only one way he can be removed and that is by at least 54 Conservative MPs submitting letters of no confidence to the Chairman of the 1922 Committee, Sir Graham Brady. That would trigger a confidence vote in the Parliamentary Conservative Party. Only if he lost that vote would he cease to be PM. It is possible that 54 letters will be submitted but they are trickling in, not rushing in. I have emailed my constituency MP, Sue Hunt (Loughborough) urging her to submit a letter but her replies make it clear that she is sitting firmly on the fence. She has gone to ground and is refusing to commit herself at least until the full Sue Grey report is published, which, of course, it never will be. The majority of Conservative MPs are taking a similar, spineless position. Even if there is a confidence vote, there is no guarantee that Johnson would lose. Teresa May survived a similar vote over Brexit and carried on as a lame duck for more than a year. The absence of any appealing successor to Johnson, or any unity within the Conservative Party means that the same is likely to happen again. Even if Boris lost a confidence vote the Conservative Party would choose his successor not the people of Britain and that successor would have no mandate to tackle the major issues that are stacking up in the in tray at Number 10 while the soap opera is going on.

I agree with Madelaine 45’s views about the damage this does to Britain’s credibility around the world and Britain’s moral authority to stand up against regimes which abuse human rights such as China where I lived and worked for many years. It is a profoundly unsatisfactory situation. In my view, there should be a constitutional provision for the people to act now in a situation like this instead of having to wait for the next general election. I suggest that if at least 5 million registered voters sign an online petition of no confidence in the PM he/she should be required to resign. The number needs to be very high to prevent the process being manipulated by extremists or conspiracy theorists and the Electoral commission would have to supervise it to prevent fraud but in the age of social media a workable mechanism should be possible. If the 5 million threshold was reached there would then automatically be a general election on a date set by law to prevent party manipulation. The Conservative Party would fight this with anew leader of their own choosing.

Removing Boris as PM would not automatically remove him as an MP. There are only three ways in which that can happen. First, he could voluntarily resign by “applying for the Chiltern Hundreds” Several MPs have used this mechanism in recent years but it is an arcane 18th century procedure which the public does not understand and which urgently needs updating. Second, Boris could be subjected to a recall petition by his constituents but only if he is convicted of a criminal offence which potentially carries a sentence of 12 months or more in prison or he is declared bankrupt. Breaches of Covid rules are punished by fines not jail time so do not count. Lying is not a criminal offence and his smears against Starmer are defamatory but are civil offences punishable by damages not prison and in any case he cannot be sued for defamation because they are covered by Parliamentary Privilege. This is another arcane concept which urgently needs re-examination. However, if he was convicted of Misconduct in a Public Office, which is a crime and usually means corruption, then he could be recalled. It is no coincidence that the Met have been covertly briefing the media that they are only investigating Covid offences carrying a fine and avoiding the corruption allegations around refurbishment of his flat.

Bankruptcy is another issue. It is well known that Boris has financial problems. I believe that one of the reasons he is hanging on so desperately to the PM’s job is that without the salary he would go bankrupt due to obligations to his previous partners and children. I think Carrie Johnson knows this and is pushing him to fight on to protect herself and her children from the consequences of bankruptcy, which is understandable. I also think the media know it and it is why they have turned on Carrie Johnson in the last few days. Because it would be unprecedented and is so personal, removing Boris by forcing him into bankruptcy would be extremely messy and divisive.

The only other way that Boris can be removed as an MP is at a general election. As I said earlier I believe the public should have the right to call one in situations where the PM has lost the confidence of the electorate and lost the moral authority to govern. However, Boris would be free to stand again provided that he had not been sentenced to 12 months or more in prison or declared bankrupt. Either of those currently disqualifies somebody from standing for election.
      The whole situation is a mess and exposes profound weaknesses in Britain’s unwritten and outdated constitution. But the only voice advocating constitutional reform is the new True and Fair Party. Even that seems to a Gina Miller fan club with a half baked manifesto rather than a serious attempt to break the mould of British politics. I despair at times and I don’t think I am the only one.

• Cheers on toast 8th February 2022 at 11:05 am

Lets see what the Secretary of State for media has to say how his mood is. https://fb.watch/b21C3drob6/

• madeleine45 8th February 2022 at 11:35 am

to Neil,
      thankyou for your measured response and looking at the possibilities open to us. I would definitely join in a petition to remove him and be first in the queue to do so. As for all those sitting on the fence I hope people will retain their memories a little longer and when it comes to an election look at how their elected member behaved. Did they make promises to serve and represent their constituents , deliberately intending to renage on those words or just find out that they are spineless and pathetic when faced with a situation that required honesty and effort.

• Reverend Nick 8th February 2022 at 4:04 pm

Heard today that some conservative MPs are trying to assuage the fears of their constituents by saying that the last reshaping of the cabinet office means that “The adults are back in charge” Quite apart from the issue of the Prime Minister being too far gone with his own narcissism to pay them any heed – these people do not have an elected mandate to be ‘In Charge” If the Prime Minister is not fit to be in office (and I think many people would say that he isn’t even if they voted for him in 2019) there should, be and presumably is somewhere, a mechanism to remove him.

The PM only has to make it through this week before parliament goes into recess. As I understand it, Conservative movers and shakers want him to remain until May where it is expected there will be losses in the local authority elections – they don’t want a new PM taking on the role now to have to deal with that, when it can all be used to oust Boris. Whilst I would sooner see him gone now, I can understand their strategy.

Interestingly, the political commentator Peter Oborne speculates that when Boris does go, this could cause schism within the conservative party and he will take x number of people with him, in a similar manner to the republicans in the US who still pretend that Mr Trump is the real President.

• madeleine45 8th February 2022 at 5:39 pm

Well I am sure that there must be SOME trustworthy tory mp’s around, but if they let themselves be used by the disgraceful liars, then they will be tarred with the same brush. Surely , however much you want your party to retain power, keeping power by appalling disgraceful behaviour makes others think that even those who apparently have done nothing wrong , are prepared to let their principles and the overall view of westminster lapse for the sake of power. So Boorish Johnson brings even decent m p’s down to his level. Democracy and belief in the power of the elections is lost when non- elected people are allowed to get away with interfering with the electors wishes. Now would be a good time to look again at first past the post and to have a fairer system so that we would not have such a seesaw effect of one party or another, when the greater majority are , or were, much more even handed and would prefer things to be done for the good of the country and the people rather than what suits the 5 year brains of those whose main wish is to remain in power at whatever cost!!

• Kenton 8th February 2022 at 8:52 pm

His Jimmy Savile House of Commons slur causes Sir Kier Starmer to be attacked by a mob and he still won’t apologise or retract it. 🧑‍🏫

• madeleine45 8th February 2022 at 10:14 pm

Boorish Johnson is now more Trump than Trump( and I used to think that Trump was the pits and deluded in choosing to think that his lunatic ideas were correct if he said them often enough.) I wouldnt think much of Johnsons supposed apology as he can no longer be believed in any real way and all he does is to try to pretend that his erronous views of what has happened can be seen as real if he says it often enough. Well he may be deluded enough to believe his own lies but the rest of us who have integrity and face the truth will not be fooled by his pathetic behaviour. The worst thing now is that his lies have caused Keir Starmer to be treated unfairly by a mob who are stupid enough or just any excuse to believe Johnson without any proof in his appalling false accusations of Starmer. Well he is even more deluded if he thinks that this will improve his case. Crocodile tears that the mob should not have accosted Starmer , when it was his own desperate lies based on his frantic need to divert attention from his own misdemeanours that caused it, and he is neither prepared to make an abject apology for his disgusting lies, nor to hang his head in shame and leave. Well his behaviour will backfire. How could we accept anything other than his resignation, when he did not make mistakes but deliberately told lies and cheated and behaved abominably , trying to push the attention onto other people. However all of us who have tried to teach children right from wrong, to apologise and try to make amends from our mistakes and to be truthful enough to face the consequences. I am sure many of us have said to a child, tell me the truth and I will not get angry, but you must deal with what you have done and try to make amends. We did not think that we then needed to say, so whatever you do , dont behave like the prime minister. History will make it clear how Boorish put himself above and before everyone in or out of the parliament . whatever your views on party political lines how can anyone want to be supposedly led by this creature. Now when I see him waffling on, my brain (before I swiftly turn the sound down or turn it off) repeats the alice quote of the red queen I think and the phrase “off with his head” comes to mind! (Not literally of course!) i have been cheered by watching an episode of Yes Prime Minster tonight, the most amusing , but very accurately portrayed infighting. Well they are a made up story – pity they are not all alive now because quite frankly They could make a better fist of it than this lot¬ Oh Sir Humphrey (NIgel Hawthorne!) if you could only get into no 10 now and metaphorically bash some heads together¬¬

• Pennypitstop 9th February 2022 at 10:09 pm

Its all bonkers at the moment, the torys are acting like naughty teenagers. But the worry for me is, if Boris goes who would replace him…it could be an extremist !!!

• madeleine45 10th February 2022 at 7:45 pm

How that moron can stand there spouting what he is going to do or not going to do when the whole world knows what a liar and a cheat he is is unbelievable. Well when even John Major would rather tell him to get out instead of trying to cover up and keep the job. For goodness sake when even his own people are chucking him to the lions why is he wandering round the globe waffling on. Another manic view of himself as a “statesman” going abroad to tell other people what is the best thing to do etc . Absolutely cringing to watch and which is it? Is he so arrogant that he beileves his own lies and think that other people do to, or does he just want to be so outside the rest of the world by not needing to adhere to any rules of any decent people. How Putin must love this buffoon taking up attention when it should all be on making him back down. Oh perhaps I hadnt realized . Is Putin paying Boorish Johnson to carry on playing the crown and taking the attention of the world whilst putin carries on with his menacing behaviour?

• Reverend Nick 10th February 2022 at 8:05 pm

Well Boris has always been an idiot for hire – whilst even he knows that his sponsors want something in return for their pandering to his narcissistic personality – he doesn’t care what it is as long as he gets the attention he wants.

I’m of the opinion he was only proposed for premiership to win over the mob on Brexit – once that was done and dusted he would have been replaced after a year – and then covid came along. Part of his success in doing Brexit was his infantile Churchillian posturing despite having nothing in common with that great statesman, other than they’ve both been drunk at work. Churchill, however, could rise to the occasion on the world stage whereas Johnson cannot.

• Kenton 10th February 2022 at 8:59 pm

Totally agree with you, we’ll said. 🧑‍🏫

• backofbeyond 27th April 2022 at 7:38 am

Hmm, I’m not so sure. About Churchill that is, not Boris. There is something to be said for cometh the hour, cometh the man, but Churchill had a pretty disastrous track record of decision making blunders to live down in 1940 and they’d led to him being out of the corridors of power during much of the ’30’s.

He only got the job because Halifax – the only other candidate – didn’t want it and his ‘we’ll fight them alone on the beaches etc’ speech ran counter to the position just about every other senior politician was taking – that we’d have to ‘accomodate’ Hitler.

We had no army (post Dunkirk), no money (foreign exchange reserves of only £50 million I’ve read), no allies and we’d just been beaten by the Germans (sounds like the England football team 🤣).

I can imagine the July 1940 Restless pen pal forum taking Churchill to task about his ‘reckless’ promised future of nothing but blood sweat and tears, and complaining it wasn’t like that when Lloyd George was in charge. We look back at these things with the inevitability of hindsight and it’s worth remembering that Churchill was certain that history would be kind to him ‘because he intended to write it’.

• Deleted User 10th February 2022 at 8:36 pm

Guy Fawkes had the best idea!

• madeleine45 11th February 2022 at 12:09 am

Oh Jessie Jane , how right you are! spitting image where are you now? keep thinking of the advert that boorish must have answered to get the job “Wanted , absolute buffoon, good liar, must be one of “us” and able to con at least a years wages from someone or somewhere..Ability to fool many people at once and able to talk about any subject whilst meant to be showing great qualities in the conning of people ! Have great staying power, and refuse to leave unless forced to do so!

• Cheers on toast 14th February 2022 at 7:06 am

This.

• vaughanpauline 14th February 2022 at 8:16 am

Boris will stay PM for as long as we the British public allow him to do so.

We need to be out on the streets protesting and rioting. it is the only solution and does involve us all getting away from our computers and off our backsides

• madeleine45 14th February 2022 at 9:54 am

you can bet your sweet life I do! Much of my emailing etc is in the middle of the night when I cant sleep and am in pain so I might as well do something than just sit and moan. Over the years I have done quite a lot of different types of protesting. For example many years ago when my son was small a local department store moved the childrens clothes up onto the first floor and put the mens wear on the ground floor. I went in and spoke reasonably explaining that as they had no lift, they had not thought it out properly as how did they expect a pregnant woman with a child in a push chair to get up the stairs. Got a most unsatisfactory answer and they said they couldnt change it back. I got the mothers and toddler group, the wi and various others and we did a demonstration in front of the store and explained our reasoning. The manager even had the cheek to say men didnt have time to go upstairs!! As I said well these men are the husbands fathers brothers etc of all these women here and we shall make sure that they boycott your shop. I kept it up for a couple of weeks. They got very little business and I also spoke to the local paper. The next monday the manager came out and said that there had been a problem with something or other and they were swapping it back, but it had nothing to do with us!! I didnt care a jot, it got sorted and i think he and one or two other shops learnt that to suit themselves and not their customers was not a good path to take. Whatever I believe in I try to follow the whole way. I do not stoop to blackmailing , or cheating, or any of the things that Boorish is well known for , but I will carry on as long as it takes. I have lived in countries with dictators , Salazar and Assad and our democratic right to protest is something that is very important and should not be lost, but we can do it without stooping to the low life attitude of those who try to take over in any way. I do just wish that spitting image was on to see on ordinary bbc, but do look out for old copies of Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. I think they were made in the 70’s but you could watch them as if they had been filmed toda! With Paul Eddington as PM and the wonderful Nigel Hawthorne as the awful civil service Sir HUmphrey and all of them are brilliant in their parts. The writers capture exactly the goings on in such areas but make it funny as well , unfortunately not applicable to this lot. Keep on protesting, keep on pointing out the lies and cheating, eventually surely even tory voters must see that whatever Boorish does now he has been shown to be a liar and a cheat and is totally unbelievable by anyone. Putin must be enjoying it all that we have to waste time with this idiot instead of checking what Putin is up to. Fight the good fight!! (And I dont mean literally in case some stupid Trump Follower reads this)

• Gerard371 29th April 2022 at 7:23 am

So at last I have found out whose to blame for making me have to go to the first floor to get my new clothes. 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬👺👺👺👺👺👺👺👺

• Suz Cambridge 25th April 2022 at 8:54 am

Think Uraine war saved BJ’s job as PM — too risky to get a new PM now? local elections also round the corner, they don’t wanna rock the boat?

• Reverend Nick 26th April 2022 at 11:02 pm

Not too risky to get a new PM in a war situation. This is exactly what they did in the Second World War when they replaced Chamberlain with Churchill – turned out to be a good thing. Whilst Johnson has tried to gain kudos from the war in Ukraine he hasn’t actually done anything personally. The military are doing a good job in their NATO capacity but they are following procedure base on the years of experience and knowledge the Cold War. None of this is Johnson’s personal initiative – he is not even invited to the table of the rest of Europe’s war cabinets.

The leaks about the full Sue Gray report imply that the Prime Minister really is finished this time although it may not happen immediately – unless there’s another revelation.

What’s the betting that in two or three years time we will see him on Celebrity Love Island (Carrie Antoinette will have long since dumped him) drunk as a lord, babbling incoherently whilst trying to get his tackle out in front of the lady celebs. Even sadder than that – he’ll still think he’s in with a chance of a comeback.

• Suz Cambridge 29th April 2022 at 12:23 am

Interesting info — yes, who knows what the future brings for Boris? he seems a survivor tho?? Cummings seem to be pretty quiet nowadays…he may be hatching plan for next disruption….political life is so unpredictable…Rishi is now lying low…he will be gone soon, hardly any serious contenders for PM job?

• CapnAuld 29th April 2022 at 9:26 am

At the moment I quite like him as PM.

Because he’s the best advocate for independence we could have!

But yes, he and the majority of his party – certainly the cabinet ministers are the most despicable, narcissistic, disingenuous, arrogant bunch we have had lording it over us probably since about Henry the 8th.

• Sue Devon 30th April 2022 at 1:58 am

Hi,
        Whilst I too find some of Boris’s characteristics useful.
        I would also like to add/ask
        Who are paying their salaries?
        Forget ‘off with their heads’, I say get off your phones and on with the job you are paid to do!
        Until this sentiment is applied to Parliament, the standards of conduct reviewed, and the law amended to ensure Parliamentarians are held to account, we are always going to have to hear/read utter tripe about their behaviour.

• Vixster 29th April 2022 at 11:26 am

I agree with everything you say about him and I hope that those who get to vote in May show how unhappy they are with the government by not voting in the local Tory councillors and then maybe the Tory party will actually do the right thing for once.
      As for the “better the devil you know” argument – what a load of tripe. Anyone would be better than Boris if they are capable of telling the truth, showing leadership and actually understanding the daily problems which this financial crisis is causing people.

• Reverend Nick 29th April 2022 at 5:30 pm

Dominic Cummings is only quiet because he is saving his next revelation for the most appropriate moment. Had he done so in the open weeks of the Ukraine crisis, it would have gone largely unnoticed. Speculation is that he will save his scandal until the run up to an election when it’s too late to do anything about it. That’s assuming the Prime Minster hasn’t already gone by that time. Is Cummings is any more truthful than the PM – very unlikely – given his fibs about driving to Barnard Castle for an eye test, but such is the stare of things that it won’t matter what’s true any more. It think it’s fair to say that most people now firmly believe that the Prime Minister is a serial liar – the disturbing thing is, that his hard core supporters don’t care and regard it as “priced-in” for keeping him in office. What have we come to?

• backofbeyond 29th April 2022 at 6:26 pm

It would seem though that the opposition have been at it as well:

“Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner was at an event where Sir Keir Starmer was filmed drinking a beer during lockdown last year, the party has said.
        It had previously denied she was at the event, but now says that statement was a “mistake” made in “good faith”.” – from the BBC

I presume ‘a mistake made in good faith’ isn’t a lie. That, I suppose, would have to be a mistake made in bad faith. On the other hand how much ‘faith’ is there in a politician’s promise or statement.

I’ve read that 56 MPs (on all sides) are currently under investigation for, well, let’s call it offences of a sexual nature (I don’t even think that includes the one caught watching porn). That’s roughly one in twelve of all eligible MPs (I’m presuming that none of them are female members). Unless we’ve elected a bunch of people taking their job description from Caligula it would suggest that we live in ‘interesting’ times. If Boris’s majority looks like it might soon be serving time at her Majesty’s pleasure it’s probably not surprising he needs the occasional drink. 🤣 🤣 🤣

• Sue Devon 30th April 2022 at 2:10 am

Parliamentarians are not a reflection of me, the electorate, when they behave with poor judgement, it is their failing, their personality trait.

Not sure what their advisers are doing, I would sack them! Money for nothing and the drinks on me.

Seems to me the biggest flaw is not having a strong team behind any PM – the job is clearly too big for any one person, they all fall.

Teresa May made us look weak over Brexit. Always looked like cap in hand when in Europe, Labour too.
      Rolled over too easily, Putin would be giggling.

In fairness to Boris, any PM dealing with Brexit, COVID19 and now Russia, deserves to retire, too much of a job for me. 😃 and he has two young kids. Head of Local Authority job, easier and pays more.

• Pops McCarthy 30th April 2022 at 9:53 am

How much longer can Westminster remain, as a whole, viable?. 655 people with no clue ruining the lives of 66million. You can change a PM or the colour of the governing tie, but it’s the MPs who vote every motion or law change and the vast majority get voted back every four years. To me, that’s the real problem.

• backofbeyond 30th April 2022 at 10:18 am

I do agree with Sue that the job is too big for any one person and it needs a substantial support team. The problem is that we tend to personify it – ‘it’s Boris this and Boris that, chuck him out, the brute’ Whether it’s ‘saviour of his country when the guns begin to shoot’ remains to be seen. (apologies to Rudyard Kipling!)

Parliament (the institution) sees itself as beyond criticism and any change, however trivial, runs up against the wall of ‘we’ve been doing it this way for 500yrs’ Like the king (in days of yore) it’s never at fault, it’s always the ‘advisors’ to blame (or as they’re known these days, politicians). The whole system is ossified to the point that it would need an invasion to bring about substantive change.

• Pops McCarthy 30th April 2022 at 10:22 am

Vive la revolution. 🤣

Add