Home Forums General How many years

Shirlann Posted 2 months ago
How many years

Have those advertisements been on asking for money for kids with eye conditions? Surely by now should have thousands of pounds? But how much of the money actually goes to the treatment?

2 likes & 22 replies
    • Chojo 16th October 2021 at 4:48 pm

I’ve heard that only around 30% actually gets where it’s needed, the rest goes in admin fees which loosely translates into CEO’s pockets. Again this is only what I’ve read Cant say it’s true but it wouldn’t surprise me.

• Shirlann 16th October 2021 at 4:56 pm

So all the money spent on getting someone to see space could change thousands of kids lives? But guessing it’s not that simple 🙄

• loislane 16th October 2021 at 6:32 pm

Decades of these ads, always coming up to Christmas, like people don’t have enough to pay out. I think the rich corporations and wealthy could solve this.
      I don’t trust the ads or where the money goes.

• goldfish63 16th October 2021 at 8:27 pm

I see these ads fronted by famous people like Olivia Coleman and think … you have millions why not give them some instead of begging from very less off people? we have plenty of causes at home to contend with first I feel than abroad!

• SelsdonLion 16th October 2021 at 9:38 pm

Yes that’s what i always think

• hell.fenn 18th October 2021 at 10:26 am

Absolutely

• loislane 18th October 2021 at 1:37 pm

Yes , sorry but our own first, we have our own in poverty and in need of medical care. The thing is how many more decades are we going to be asked for money, not all of us have spare money. It’s always the wealthy appealing to our emotions at an expensive time of year…why? So many rich donate too but why do the same things persist and surely their governments should be sorting it out so it does make me suspect real motives.

• Tickledpink 17th October 2021 at 11:51 am

They show the same children suffering year after year, never aging. Bit of a con not following them up and showing what happened to them after all the money that is sent supposedly to help them. Or filming different children if still in need. Make it real if it is real. I think a cancer charity or Great Ormond Street did this once and that was good to see.

• Paul_ 18th October 2021 at 3:43 am

I don’t know how these people can sleep at night in their mansions, while the people the money was intended for are still suffering…😢

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 18th October 2021 at 11:08 am

What are you suggesting? That “charities” are perhaps just a vehicle for extracting money from the gullible? Surely no charities would use the money for the benefit of the staff over those they claim to help? In my experience, yes many do.

• loislane 18th October 2021 at 1:38 pm

Yes they do, very little gets through before the majority is creamed off, have you seen where charity bosses live, they’re not poor. Just a con.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 18th October 2021 at 11:09 am

You don’t get rich by being honest, or decent, ask any MP

• goldfish63 18th October 2021 at 2:59 pm

I think I am right and seen on a news article some time back that the poor countries pleading poverty on Children in need and Comic relief said they no longer wish to have their recipients of aid shown on TV along side wealthy famous people! they just want the money donated, interesting they can now be so critical of the hand that feeds them, I think we should not give money but donate what we can in the form of the things these people need if we can so that there is no exploitation of money! I do not know why the charities all advertise week days in the early afternoons!

• Paul_ 20th October 2021 at 12:51 am

@goldfish63
        I think some celebrities are genuinely concerned but I can’t help thinking that some are doing it to off-set possible guilt of being a ‘have’ compared to the ‘have nots’. I’m usually pretty suspicious in general of celebrity endorsements…

I suspect the afternoon advertising slots are probably cheaper than the evening ones, especially slots between all the rubbish reality TV…!

Add