Home Forums House & Home How do you take the lid off a pot of emulsion pain...

Betsy Posted 1 year ago
How do you take the lid off a pot of emulsion paint! I’m feeling so frustrated after finding it in the loft and wanting desperately to get on a do some painting of walls I’ve struggled with it so long and its sitting there looking at me and it will not budge. I live alone and have no one to ask for
2 likes & 13 replies
    • Lady K 26th February 2021 at 3:07 pm

Hi Betsy

You can actually purchase (quite cheap) a paint can opener which makes it much easier to open.

• Betsy 26th February 2021 at 5:21 pm

Thank you for that I have never heard of such a thing! but I will certainly be asking for one of these. It will make my life much easier, as due to a bit of arthritis, my hands are quite painful. I still haven’t managed to get the lid off so will wait now until I have an opener. Thanks again. Betsy

• Lady K 26th February 2021 at 6:01 pm

You are very welcome.
          Be careful with screwdrivers and such as they can slip, as has happened to me and others and has caused injuries to some.

K 😌

• Nancy-Anne 26th February 2021 at 3:46 pm

Just use a knife. You’ll have to go around the entire lid loosening it a little bit each time.

• Andy Paddles 26th February 2021 at 4:20 pm

Flat bladed screwdriver – safer than a knife! Is it plastic or metal? The plastic lids are tough even when new!

• Betsy 26th February 2021 at 5:23 pm

Tried that but so far no luck. I’m frightened of splitting the lid as it looks a bit flimsy round the edges. Thank you for that anyway.

• Just me 26th February 2021 at 6:05 pm

i use a large flat screwdriver

• Sue47 28th February 2021 at 11:36 am

I also use a flat bladed screwdriver. If you’re concerned about it slipping you could wear gloves or wrap a tea towel around the hand that’s steadying the tin. The lip of the lid does appear to be a little flimsy compared to the rest of the lid but it’s not really, just more pliable so you can lever it off, going round the tin in small sections at a time. If it doesn’t come off the first time have a cuppa then go back to it. Like you I live on my own and have to do everything for myself, but just take your time and it will happen

• Betsy 1st March 2021 at 2:40 pm

Thank you for your comments. I was lucky the local pastor of my church came round for something and I got him involved. Hey presto easy peasy for him (he doesn’t have arthritis in his hands thank the Lord). Painting accomplished!

• Summerhouse 21 23rd March 2021 at 11:40 pm

I use the paint can opener. It always works, and it was very cheap.

Add