Home Forums Women’s Health How do we keep body strength/muscle mass? Great to...

Michele Eckford Posted 1 year ago
How do we keep body strength/muscle mass? Great to communicate

Hi. What do we do to keep our body strength/muscle mass?  Nothing I ever thought about until now in my 60’s.

17 likes & 72 replies
    • RestLess L 2nd March 2021 at 8:30 pm

I walk my 6000 steps a day for my age (57), and I found an old book of Rosemary Conleys which is a 30 day plan and I just do the exercises in there which include muscle strengthening. Both are free. I do a couple of Zoom classes which have sliding scale pay what you can afford in ballet and bachata. Both fun and beneficial for muscle building. NHS weight loss plan is free and has some great free exercise lessons too. How have you been getting on?

• Deleted User 4th March 2021 at 8:20 pm

I would do whatever you enjoy and doesnt cause you pain. Brisk walking which makes you breathe more heavily is a good start, and good for lifting the spirits. The speed at which you can walk is also a good indicator of general fitness.
      Before lockdown I did a couple of pilates classes a week, which is very good for the core muscles. Since then I have my own routine at home. In the morning I do stretches, a couple of pilates exercise, some squats and tricep dips. In the evening I do press ups and another stomach exercises. I dont always enjoy it, Im often tired and I dont like the burn from leg exercises, but I know at 60 Im losing muscle all the time. If you have good balance you are less likely to fall and break a hip. Its use it or lose it at our age. As others have said, weights are also good, but you will probably need a gym for serious work. Bean cans are also good for holding for arm exercises. There are lots of classes online and a good class Ive seen on BBC in the morning, which I think was aimed at off school kids but looked fun and achievable, with a footballer, Mark Wright I think. Good luck, I think you will enjoy the sense of achievement as your tone and fitness improve.

• SallySputnik 4th March 2021 at 9:59 pm

I am 66 and finally recovered from ME/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome last year. I have recently completed the free ourparks.org Couch to Fitness programme it builds up gradually over 9 weeks and I feel stronger than ever.
      Good luck

• S 5th March 2021 at 7:57 am

I have started Pilates and find it great, this course is only 35 euro for 5 classes for beginners and is great value as you can access the recordings to practice any time you want, I’m really enjoying it. The first live class was Wednesday night but you can access it on the website and everything is explained so you don’t have to worry, just choose Pilates Essentials – 5 week course on https://jessgormleypilates.cloudstudios.com/course_packages

• Michele Eckford 5th March 2021 at 12:40 pm

I started Pilates 2 months ago & I must say it’s a shame I never tried it before. I’m impressed by how strong it gets you.

• Ballybrit 4th April 2021 at 2:58 pm
    • Lovetohelp 6th April 2021 at 7:00 pm

Hi Michele,

Great question. I wasn’t very active, didn’t eat healthy really and loved my chocolate and treats over the years and hadn’t really thought about it either. Couple of years ago, from a health check, I cut out refined sugar. In the last year, my adult son and I, started following online work outs, mine was Fabulous 50 YouTube channel. We also started eating healthier, cooking more and more new recipes, being vegetarian, using more lentils, beans, more variety of vegetables I hadn’t used before, etc. Having lost my job few years ago due to ill health, I finally found a part time job, where I’ve been walking to a lot, found it very difficult at the beginning, but now realised how much its helping me physically, losing weight but mentally too. I’ve done Pilates years ago and over the last year, have been doing HIIT, Pilates and Yoga with Fabulous 50 YouTube channel. I’m also looking at ways to build my strength with strength training, I now feel its so important at 55. Having had a bad back then fell in Nov last year, but carried on walking, Yoga etc through the pain, it really helped. I do feel stronger but need to keep going. Great chat. Thanks

• Michele Eckford 14th April 2021 at 7:44 pm

Great to read your thoughts on how important it is to ‘keep going’. For me that is so necessary too. I find that if I don’t join a group every day for yoga, dancing, pilates, etc. I let things slip and so quickly I lose that strength that feels so good. Thanks.

• Lovetohelp 14th April 2021 at 7:53 pm

Yes I understand. Its not easy to keep motivated. Is there anybody you know that you could just team up with to do your excercises with over zoom, friends, family etc. That might help to have support. I was exactly the same but try fabulous 50 YouTube channel, shes amazing and makes you feel motivated. All the best and keep going. You can do it. ☺️👍🏼

• Ballybrit 8th April 2021 at 10:08 am
    • Wolfy 11th April 2021 at 11:24 am

Well im back into dragon boat racing now that the covid restrictions are over. 10km in 2 hours up and down the river with a boat full of twenty something year old students. I’m aching all over!

• Renoir64 27th April 2021 at 8:37 am

I retired a month ago. Due to an injury and subsequent serious operation I was office based for the last 5 years.

I have thrown myself into improving the garden with raised beds (5 so far) a base for a 2nd, used, greenhouse and taking that greenhouse down and the subsequent moving the glass.

I’m using muscles I haven’t consistently used in years and averaging 12 000 steps a day

My replacement knee has strengthened no end and the other one is aching as it tries to cope after years on inactivity.

My point is that you may be in better shape than you imagine so go for it. It’s going to hurt initially but will pass. The best of luck for the future.

• RestLess L 1st June 2021 at 10:56 pm

I’m 58 and I do get a lot of aches and pains but I take a class in ballet for strengthening, tap for fun and good for the thighs, Medau for general all over body movement, bachata, ballroom, latin and walking. 😄

• Just me 2nd September 2021 at 7:09 pm

i do lots, i play badminton (informal club and mixed doubles) i walk every day, if only to the shops and go to the gym at times and am about to get a bike. At 68 i know i just have to keep doing anything. If you want more company join the local or national ramblers as some walks are shorter for us older people.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 2nd September 2021 at 7:31 pm

Age as you probably know,muscle growth deteriorates as we get older .However , a positive mind and the right exercise can still tone your muscles.Coupled with a good healthy protein in take and other nutrients .The mind is strong…if you believe…you may believe
      in the placebo effect.?
      I’m nearly 70 and since my reinvented life changes…I believe my body and mind functions around 55.

• redman 2nd September 2021 at 7:48 pm

i do yoga every week walking got a garden and alotment, i work in charity shop 4 and a half hours a week, will be 75 on monday,

• EriknJudy 2nd September 2021 at 10:52 pm

Yoga is one way…it really strengthens over time. It took me a few years to ‘understand’ it but it’s worth persevering and there is good stuff online which is free! I swim and walk a lot too…also free! Anything that uses your core is good.

• John L 3rd September 2021 at 7:31 am

Hello 🙌
      At 63 I was referred by my doctor to A Better Life health scheme. It lasted 13 weeks. We looked at diet, easy plate, more veg. Portion size. Exercise, 150 mins a week is recommended average per week.
      I started doing 30 mins 6 days a week. Eventually. Had to walk further in the 30 mins as I got stronger/fitter. Average 13 miles a week now, no marathon, but I enjoy being out 🌞
      Home exercise with the Pilates bands, using you tube for ABL sessions for upper body.
      Keep going it gets enjoyable eventually 😎
      Honest.
      Take care M
      🌈🌈🌈

• Keith D 3rd September 2021 at 1:28 pm

I do exercises such as using my treadmill, doing yoga on zoom and infusing my Wondercore exercise machine
      I also like going for walks

• Deleted User 10th September 2021 at 11:04 am

Thanks everyone there’s loads of helpful suggestions here. I personally try to run at least twice a week. I say run but its more of a jog really at my age 66, and I find my local Hiit class and an alternate day session of weights helps me balance the chocolate eating sessions.
      The important thing is to keep going, even if you drop the ball and stop exercising just start again and build yourself up to your fitness level gradually.
      I prefer to keep fit by dancing though so I’m keen to join a group for this so if anyone knows how I can do this online please do share 🙂

• MissB 10th September 2021 at 1:11 pm

Age wise I am not quite there yet, but I lift heavy weights (freeweights) and train with kettlebells. I lift 3 times a week and do kettlebells about twice a week (normally, not worked with them in a while) kettlebells is also brilliant Cardio!

• Jillikins 12th September 2021 at 11:47 am

I am too sedentary so I’m thinking of getting an off-peak gym membership, mainly for swimming. But having read the comments here I may try some gym work too.

• dilly 19th September 2021 at 6:12 pm

I got Figure 8 , Body FX, DVDs from America. Led by a woman named Janna Kunitz, originally from Europe and a trained dancer. The one pity is that many of the routines I’d like to do are only available on-line, but the 3 DVDs I have do the trick.

• Michele Eckford 20th September 2021 at 11:09 am

Tks. for all your replies. After many months of thinking to start weight/resistance exercises, I’ve started. I can see why it is so necessary, especially now over the winter months.

• Catherine Holloway 23rd September 2021 at 7:47 am

Thank you for inspiring me with ideas. I am recovering from a hip replacement following years of inactivity due to arthritis. This has resulted in a huge loss of muscle loss. I have been given a new lease of life and I am enjoying walking. However after reading everyone’s comments I realise I should be doing some strength training.

• Glasshouse 28th September 2021 at 6:11 pm

Combo of strength resistance exercise , using own body weight ( squats, lunges, press ups sometimes including bands & weights . Also Zumba, walking, tennis , yoga & Pilates .
      If online stuff motivates you , can recommend Ownyourgoals.Davina that I subscribed to in lockdown for £58 a year , something for everyone.
      Pilates…The Girl With the Pilates Mat (free) & Yoga with Adrienne (free)
      The key for me is variety , & knowing that some of the above can be done in 15 mins daily or 3/5 times a week .

• Gardening Mad 15th October 2021 at 11:20 am

All these comments are really helpful to someone who’s previous job had them sat in a chair for years. Now I’m free and have my own business I realise I’m moving around more so getting the steps in but I need to be stronger especially in my core and upper body.

However I work a shift pattern (2 days on 3 off 2 days on 2 off 3 days on two off then repeat) which involves working from 530am to 8pm so how do I fit in a good exercise routine on work days because TBH I’m worn out by the time I get home or sometimes still have to complete online orders etc?

• Vcon 27th October 2021 at 6:30 pm

Doing daily 15 min yoga seems to good, started doing in lockdown, and I must say it works, try it and see,

• Circle of Peace 14th November 2021 at 1:52 pm

I am 70 and when I moved to my narrow boat 4 years ago I realized I had to get stronger so that I could lift a heavy gas tank from jetty down into gas locker and lift bags of coal etc. I started using resistance bands. I use them every day…started with easiest and moved on as I got stronger. They worked…hahaha. I also do a walkasize with cor exercises most days using a DVD. If I can build muscle at my age anyone can.

• Mo22 19th November 2021 at 8:38 am

Narrowboat living, a wee bit older, solo?, female is something I am going to look into. If I ever manage to sort out the mess that is my life at the minute following my husbands death. I have pm you. Please do not feel obliged to answer if I’m being intrusive

• GailSH 17th November 2021 at 8:18 am

I am 60 and find exercise is essential for keeping my mind and body fit. I find Barre is great for muscle tone and balance, dance especially Zumba is an all over exercise and lots of fun, circuit’s and body conditioning is excellent for a healthy heart and muscle tone, and of course stretch and tone and Pilates for resetting your spine and great for posture. I do all these exercises and you can go at your own pace and capability, it gives me lots more energy and keeps my mind sharp. I also love walking. Even if you can only do one or two of these it’s much better than nothing.

• NYC to UK 20th November 2021 at 1:04 pm

I have been doing Pilates for decades, along with alternate days of HIIT workouts and weights. The combination keeps my body toned and has the benefit of warding off osteoporosis.

• TraceyL 22nd November 2021 at 7:12 am

I have an office job so sit all day.
      I use light dumbells up to 5kg each and have a bike on a turbo trainer.
      I follow Vera Lero on Instagram and YouTube. She is amazing. Search for her.

Add