Home Forums Gardening How do I make and keep a nice lawn?

Shereen Posted 5 months ago
How do I make and keep a nice lawn?

I have always struggled to keep my lawn looking nice and have done several things to try and improve it over the years, from manual weeding and applying lawn weed and feed, to aerating, adding topsoil and seeding it. In 2017, I even employed a so-called landscaping company to come and turf it. But it looks worse than it’s ever looked at the moment!

Sorry folks but Greenthumb came this morning and told me that this lawn was dead and beyond repair. And that it needed all killing off and aerated and either new turfs being laid or it being seeded. Well, I’m 73 and not at all fit so I can’t do any heavy work myself any more. And I refuse to lay out hundreds of pounds to have it done professionally again – after the last investment failed so miserably. So unless my son-in-law offers to do it for me (which I cannot see happening) I will just have to put up with it! Case closed.

3 likes & 30 replies
    • Optimistic 26th August 2021 at 12:28 pm

Aerate it ..seed it then when starts to grow weed and feed it

• Shereen 26th August 2021 at 2:43 pm

Thanks but I’ve already tried that :-/ It doesn’t seem to matter what I do, the weeds just keep coming and worst of all, the grass dies off leaving brown bare spots all over it! And quite frankly, as I’m 73 and very unfit, I don’t think I’m up to much physical hard work now 🙁

• Rikk 26th August 2021 at 12:57 pm

Dig it up and plant it, no mowing then and better for wildlife

• Shereen 26th August 2021 at 2:52 pm

Firstly, I can’t physically dig it up myself any more because I’m too old and unfit. Secondly, plant it with what? And lastly, I want somewhere to sit and eat outside with my family – not a wildlife meadow! I have plenty of well established plants that the bees and butterflies like.

• Thyca N 2nd September 2021 at 7:19 pm

Please, 73 is not too old!

• Shereen 2nd September 2021 at 9:41 pm

No, I don’t suppose 73 is necessarily too old. But I have allowed myself to become so inactive that I can barely manage to cut my own toenails or walk up and down the stairs – so even weeding the garden is a struggle for me now. Stupid of me, I know, but that’s where I’m at…..

• Belindaandan1mals 27th August 2021 at 12:22 pm

Rack out dead grass then rack in the grass seeds then water for two weeks do not walk on the area’s for six weeks let the seeds grow

• Shereen 27th August 2021 at 11:00 pm

Thanks Belinda but as you can see, I’ve already tried that – and a lot more besides! I just don’t know why the grass keeps dying – or why my lawn gets quite so many weeds all over it? My friends live in the same street and although they do get some weeds, their lawn always looks perfect to me. Even my Ex’s communal lawn, which never gets fed or watered or anything by anyone, looks fairly damned good compared to mine.

I think I might have to give up and just kill it all off, then lay a weed suppressant fabric over the area and chuck a thick layer of slate chippings or whatever they’re called over it….

• Joyeliza 30th August 2021 at 9:28 am

Try employing a company to restore it, Greenthumb and Tom Thumb operate in my area, they come monthly and treat the lawn and advise you.

• Shereen 30th August 2021 at 10:57 am

Thank you. I have requested a free lawn analysis from Greenthumb and they’re coming to survey my lawn on Friday!

• N125 28th August 2021 at 12:05 am

Gave up on mine this year after trying allsorts(Not liquorice ). Went for paving. Quite happy with it though. It is nice to have some Greenery though isn’t it. 😊

• Woody100 28th August 2021 at 5:52 am

I got rid of grass and put in astro turf fake grass. No hassle, no cutting, feels soft and looks great all year long

• Shereen 28th August 2021 at 12:47 pm

Yes, my Ex had astro turf laid and some decking put in several years ago but it doesn’t look nearly as good as yours! Is your decking wood or some sort of composite? And did you do it all yourself or pay contractors to do it?

• Woody100 28th August 2021 at 9:27 pm

Decking is composite….me and a mate did it. Wasn’t cheap but well worth it 👍

• Tracy Brighten 2nd September 2021 at 7:52 pm

In the house I rent, the garden is covered with black plastic mesh then either gravel, slate or artificial grass. It’s so sad to see birds trying to peck at the grass – no worms or insects for them. I have bird feeders, but it isn’t the same as food provided by nature. I hope you get to the bottom of why your grass isn’t growing. 🙂

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 28th August 2021 at 11:15 am

My lawn is very similar, I’ve tried the things you’ve mentioned too. Whatever I do to the lawn and borders it still looks scruffy

• Shereen 28th August 2021 at 12:48 pm

Yes, it’s very annoying, having tried everything to make it nice, isn’t it?

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 30th August 2021 at 4:16 pm

It’s a tricky one. Someone’s mentioned astroturf which really does look artificial and someone else mentioned allowing the garden to grow naturally, weeds and all . I like the idea of a natural looking garden but I’m sure in my case it’ll be ground elder and bindweed instead of daisies and poppies

• Shereen 30th August 2021 at 11:19 am

Actually, I’ve just read an article by Gardeners World called 7 Lawn Care Tips https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/top-lawn-care-tips/ and I’ve come to the conclusion that keeping a healthy lawn is just too much hard work for me to manage any more (I’m 73 and can only just about cut my own toe nails or walk up the stairs). So I think I’m going to have to either give up and just let it go or pay someone else to do all that hard work :-/

• pedal999 30th August 2021 at 11:58 am

We came to that conclusion, esp after our hard work and £££ each year seemed to be not improving.. knowing it needing aerating, and cost / effort / local availability to doing so was prohibitive..
      So we signed up with Green Thumb in the spring.. they have given it treatments since, and it’s looking better than it has in years.. They will be aerating & scarifying in the autumn, so next year should be even better then. Best decision in years.. Now seriously thinking about a robot mower too..

• Deleted User 30th August 2021 at 4:18 pm

The best time is spring early summer, look at lawnsmith on line brilliant lawn advice and products

• plotno6 31st August 2021 at 12:54 pm

Seems like you have tried everything only suggestion I can make is have you tried artificial grass ?, I have used it to make an edging and placed pots on it, and around my shed on the allotment.

• Wills 2nd September 2021 at 8:12 pm

The small holes and patches look like you might have leatherjacket grubs in your lawn (we have too), they burrow out in the autumn and hatch into crane flies – they ruin lawns but you can treat it with Nematodes, buy a packet online for around £16 and you mix with water and then water them in, you’ll need to repeat it each year to completely get rid of them.
      Other than that you could do to scarify it and put on autumn weed & feed now – which you can get a gardening company to do for you if you don’t want to do it yourself.

• LucasH 5th September 2021 at 9:43 am

Wow, I just looked up Nematodes, they are very interesting.
        I thought they might solve my ant problem but the ants will just move somewhere else in the garden.

• John L 3rd September 2021 at 7:02 am

This from Gardeners World

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/maintain-the-garden/improve-your-lawn-in-12-weeks/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Lusherlawn&utm_term=4280687&utm_campaign=GWNewsletterJune32021_986653_GardenersWorld_WeeklyEmailNewsletter_10289378

See this may have already been posted, or similar 🌞

Scarcity, fine rake! Cut, but not too short when hot! Weed and feed lawn care on a regular basis! Worth the effort and is cooler than fake stuff! Birds nature and rain like it 🌈🌈🌈

Good Luck 😎

• Shereen 3rd September 2021 at 10:24 am

Thanks John. But Greenthumb have just been and looked at my lawn and pronounced it dead and beyond repair! They say there are basically only 3 options now – have it all killed off with weedkiller and then aerated and re-seeded; have it re-turfed and in both these cases, I would always need to water it in dry weather. The last option is to kill it all off, put down some weed suppressant and have some sort of paving or slate chippings laid – and I think I will probably go for that last option :-/

• John L 3rd September 2021 at 3:51 pm

Hello 🙌
          Think two friends use them to maintain their turf!!!!
          Hope you like cats, as they love pebble or slated gardens to visit🐆🐆🐆 and happy to leave a present for you ….. 😱😱😱
          John 😎

• Shereen 3rd September 2021 at 11:42 pm

No, I don’t mind cats but I definitely do not like having to pick up and dispose of other peoples’ cats’ pooh! I get enough of that in my front garden.

• John L 3rd September 2021 at 3:56 pm

Oooh!!!!
      Meadow turf…. cut once a year, lots of colours 🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈

Add