Home Forums Health How do, did single people feel if they have to go...

Deleted User Posted 11 months ago
How do, did single people feel if they have to go to hospital, A &E , or an outpatients appointments on their own ( pre-covid) Or dont have anyone to visit them, while in hospital?
1 like & 13 replies
    • esther.bray23 4th August 2021 at 4:21 am

It’s not nice. You feel like really being on your own with pain.

• Deleted User 4th August 2021 at 11:44 am

When I go outpatients, its,not nice when others are in couples or with families
        Its even worse in A&E , then you get to the ward and others have regular visitors, and you have to hope friends can come.
        Otherwise it’s even more lonely .
        I hate it when staff treat everyone the same, when you ask them questions? AND THEY GIVE YOU THE SAME ANSWERS,FOR EVERYONE !!!
        They thought, that this was another heart attack and needed stents,

but wouldn’t believe me when I said I didn’t and wasnt stentable

In the end I was diagnosed with multiple embolisms in each lung.
        Thankfully I’m fine on medication, and didn’t have stents fitted

• Sonny1234 4th August 2021 at 1:55 pm

I have always preferred to go on my own , I don’t like hospitals & I wouldn’t expect others to have to endure them .
      I was once in for an operation & friends turned up , I was pleased when I saw them but would have preferred them not to , I don’t want people to see me laid up in a hospital bed , unless it’s life threatening I would always ask that people don’t visit !!
      I do visit friends & family in there but I don’t want anybody coming to see me !!

• Deleted User 4th August 2021 at 2:04 pm

Sonny ,,I understand your feelings and respect your decision.
        I prefer to have support if possible at outpatients etc, becauifcits bad news ,,then I can easily miss what’s being said.
        I dont have many close friends and my kids,live miles,away, soon nearly always have to go on my own
        But sometimes, I need a friend to drive me there and back, especially if I have been shielding prior to surgery.

• Sonny1234 4th August 2021 at 2:15 pm

I can totally understand where you are coming from , I am not trying to sound hard or brave I just think , it’s not just myself people see , it’s other ill people to & it can be upsetting & unnerving for some visitors !!
          I also think it’s a privacy thing too , as I say I’d rather people didn’t see me laid in a bed !!!

• Deleted User 4th August 2021 at 2:23 pm

I totally agree, but when I’m taken to hospital by ambulance, I usually dont have,anyone to go to hospital and support me, and when others,have family members,it makes,my life even more lonely.

I dont like having to ask people to bring me things , such toiletries etc, but without them I’m stuck ?
          When I get dischared taxis,can be expensive , and in the present climate scary?
          I’ve been single over 25 years , so being in hospital can make it worse.
          My son loves in Norfolk 190 miles,away and my daughter in Lancashire, so them visiting isnt easy, if they can be bothered??

• Sonny1234 4th August 2021 at 2:35 pm

We all like & I for one welcome the support , but I prefer that when at home . I don’t like using taxis either but some occasions can’t be helped !!!

• Deleted User 4th August 2021 at 2:45 pm

I agree with you and your opinions. And envy you being able to choose But some people such as, myself, are alone and dont have the luxury of asking friends and family not to attend , appointments or visit me , we both agree with not wanting people to see other sick patients, in hospital, as it can be very upsetting for them
        Often when consultants visit on their grounds, what we hear is distressing, for patients and visitors. As theres no real privacy!!

• Sonny1234 4th August 2021 at 2:55 pm

I didn’t realise you were alone & my apolagies for not realising that but you aren’t alone now Keith , you are a member on here like me & now when you would like to chat , I for one am here anytime !!

• Deleted User 4th August 2021 at 3:00 pm

Sonny,none for apologies,, I posted the question as a single man, but it was,open to anyone to reply as you , daringly did.
          When my wife died, I could not get to the hospital in time.
          So some of my questions are based on personal experiences.
          I hopefully w neither of us won’t have to be admitted anytime soon .cheers Sonny 😀

• Nicki G 5th August 2021 at 8:44 am

I was taken to A&E via ambulance during lockdown on my own. It was a horrible experience being in A&E with no family support around me. I was there for 6 hours on a trolley just waiting and feeling pretty ill.
      Everyone was the same, nobody was allowed anyone with them. It was heartbreaking for all of us. Of course this was due to the lockdown restrictions but if this is what it is normally like for some people my heart goes out to them. It isn’t easy.
      I’m pleased you are feeling better Keith.

• Deleted User 5th August 2021 at 9:29 am

Hi Nicki thanks for your message and for being understanding. I have been going to the hospital for several years on my own , and as you found out during lockdown, it’s horrible and very lonely. When I was diagn5with a non terminal illness last year , I was,alone with the consultant and not even a nurse,was present, the news hit me like a ton of bricks had fallen on me.

It took me back to when my late wife was diagnosed and lived 7 weeks

I have friends visited me when they could( pre-lockdown) but very often some days I didnt have visitors.

But yes Nicki I am feeling better and havent been to hospital for several months.

But I expect I will for face to face check ups next year

I hope that you are fully recovered Nicki 😊

• Nicki G 5th August 2021 at 9:47 am

Yes….I’m much better now. I ended up having surgery as a day case and as it was during lockdown I had to do that alone too but it’s done now.

Now restrictions are over are you seeing friends again ?

I got pinged 2 days ago by the NHS App so now I’m in isolation for 10 days…sods law just when things are getting back to some normality. Never mind…I keep smiling 😊

Add