Home Forums New Member Introductions How are people keeping themselves amused during lo...

Wendy Potter Posted 2 years ago
How are people keeping themselves amused during lockdown?
1 like & 21 replies
    • CarolBo 20th January 2021 at 12:52 pm

Working on my social enterprise 😵 and hosting online social activities.

Also trying to keep the dog amused … he’s asking for food all the time which he never did before – so I guess he is comfort eating.

• Will 23rd January 2021 at 8:10 am

I’d love to hear about your social enterprise, I’m looking to set one up later this year.

• CarolBo 30th January 2021 at 4:59 pm

Hi Will, sorry for the late reply. Essentially it is around social inclusion … and helping people to make connections locally to improve their wellbeing and reduce loneliness. We are also currently developing an employability programme that I am looking for willing guinea .. erm … pilot participants to help me roadtest it, and tweak.

We went with the CIC format, and operate with a board of directors. If you want to know anymore, then happy to have a chat. You can email me at [email protected] or check out our website: http://www.socialconnectednessmovement.org.

• Josie123 20th January 2021 at 6:00 pm

Hi! I’m working from home so that, and walking the dog, are my sanity measures at the moment. Binge watching Netflix and Amazon Prime later in the evening (I am on the computer far too many hours a day for comfort. Switching off isn’t easy when you work from home.)

• BA 20th January 2021 at 7:22 pm

Exercising in the garage and taking the dog out for walks

• GreginYorkshire 20th January 2021 at 7:55 pm

Still working. I help to run a mental health charity, so do some telephone support and we have videos online covering subjects including mindfulness, managing anxiety and so on. What do you do to fill your time Wendy?

• Marica 21st January 2021 at 12:11 pm

I am constantly sorting cupboards etc out (and the garage) and selling things on various sites, plus card making, knitting, and trying to read but unfortunately the PC, phione and TV tend to monopolize my time! I have signed up for sme free courses of all sorts but again, I am very bad at dedicating the time. Walks with friends on occasions and feeding ducks. I am actually embracing this lockdown and rather like the peace

• Wendy Potter 21st January 2021 at 12:32 pm

I walk my dog twice per day. I’m Inbetweeners houses so living with my son at moment so don’t have any of my things with me. It’s a small flat.

• Deleted User 21st January 2021 at 12:34 pm

Hi I am struggling with lockdown this time tbh. I have lots of creative things to do, and watch videos. Try to get out for a walk each day. I have only joined here today, and hope to make connections with others

• Newkidonthesite 21st January 2021 at 1:15 pm

I take my dog out for walks,watch a lot of movies listen to music & making plans for what to do when it’s all over. Example there’s no Glastonbury this year so I will hold my own festival in my garden put up a tent cook on the bar b q to get the aroma of festival food play music through my blue tooth speaker burn some incense ( another festival smell ) & pretend I’m in a field somewhere having a good time if the neighbors want to join in the more the merrier as long as they stay in their own gardens this virus is not gonna pee on my fireworks 😘😘

• Sheltie 21st January 2021 at 5:36 pm

Was made redundant end of Dec and my Fibromyalgia went into massive flare so been resting mainly. But enjoying having more time to crochet and read also took a liking to card games on pc like solitaire, end of next month my sick note ends so will be stepping up job hunting

• Jenicca 22nd January 2021 at 1:31 am

Netflix, french TV and online shopping!😂

• Cathy64 22nd January 2021 at 9:34 am

I’ve been decorating and moving furniture finding it so much harder this time with the weather and everything

• Deleted User 23rd January 2021 at 9:11 am

Mostly by reading. I already belonged to 2 book clubs which now meet on Zoom. Also get together on Messenger with a few friends to do exercise together. We were finding that it was getting harder and harder to exercise on our own as time went by so now we watch the same programme, encourage one another to keep going, and then have a nice chat.

• Wendy S 27th January 2021 at 2:39 pm

As well as walking my dog and normal day-to-day activities, I try to do some yoga or Pilates every day (nothing complicated). I find the stretches are good to offset all the sitting around. I’ve also got lists of all the music artists I would like to hear more of and play those on Alexa while cooking etc. And I have a running list of all the TV programmes and films I would like to watch and am slowly working my way through. Another list of books I have always wanted to read, reading a sample on Kindle and finding out if it’s going to be one I’ll like or one to discard. And yet another list (I do like a list!) of all the places near and far I would like to visit when we are able to again. And I won’t let the fact that I’ll probably be going on my own put me off any more!
      I found it very easy to spend lots of time on the internet, and felt really dissatisfied with how I’d wasted my time, so encouraged myself to put a bit more thought into getting more out of the time. (I know that it isn’t the same for everyone, and some are working hard or have other commitments.) Best wishes all x

• esther.bray23 27th January 2021 at 3:44 pm

Doing lots of crotchet. As it’s hard for me to stop.Also, my cat.

• Wendy Potter 27th January 2021 at 10:39 pm

I like your “lists” idea. I think I should make more lists, that way I might actually get things done or use my time more wisely. I find that looking on social media eats up the time and leaves me feeling unfulfilled because I haven’t actually achieved anything. Could have a board of all the lists of great things to do, listen to, find, explore.

• Wendy S 29th January 2021 at 3:46 pm

That sounds a great idea, mine are just in a notebook, it’d be good to put them up somewhere.
        I was the same, feeling bored and fed up – too much time at home to fill can be overwhelming.

• Gem62 29th January 2021 at 12:29 am

The list idea helps me. Also online exercise classes. The one I use uses zoom, it’s better than exercising alone.

• Terry B 29th January 2021 at 6:52 pm

I am still working full time as a respiratory nurse consultant. It has been a very traumatic year with Covid. We have had to set up different ways of working, such as telephone and video consultations. Generate shielding lists, set up post Covid and long Covid clinics, supporting my team, some of whom have young children that needed home schooling.
      I have chosen to delay my retirement for a year as there have been no appropriate candidates for my post and ethically I felt I could not leave mid-pandemic.
      By the time I got home I was not fit for much and found it hard to wind down and relax. Like others I have walked more, done lots of sudoku and solitaire on my iPad and have just started knitting again after many years. I have also bought a spinning bike and the Peloton app.
      This is one of the reasons I have joined the group to be honest, to encourage the art of relaxation!!

Add