Home Forums Local Groups England Kent Hi, I’m new here. I live near Faversham, I tend...

JeanBWR Posted 1 year ago
Hi, I’m new here. I live near Faversham, I tend to flit between hobbies but during lockdown I have really enjoyed collecting and bringing back to life vintage sewing machines. sewing mainly masks lately & crafts in general. I enjoy genealogy, upcycling furniture, walking and the garden & my mad cat
6 likes & 11 replies
    • mazarron04 15th January 2021 at 1:56 pm

Hi Jean
      Love the photo of your cat. I’m in Herne Bay. I actually met my ‘walking buddy’ on this site. We have been trying to walk once a week since September. Unfortunately that’s on hold at the moment. I love the sound of bringing vintage sewing machines back to life.

Barbara

• JeanBWR 16th January 2021 at 9:58 pm

Hi Barbara, thank you, she is a bit of a character, rules the roost! I walk once a week with a friend in the village, lucky to have nice walks around us although hubby hates walking. I suppose they might stop us meeting one person for walks if things don’t improve.

• Ginny65 15th January 2021 at 9:58 pm

Hello. I’m not too far away, in the Sittingbourne area. I like to use modern sewing machines but I like the sound of the vintage ones. I remember my mother having a treadle singer machine and making my clothes when I was young. Out of interest where do you find the vintage ones?
      I worked all through the last lockdowns but I retired this year at 55 so I’m keeping busy with crochet, knitting and running. I will be starting the veg seeds in March and hope to be able to spend time in the garden if we are still in restrictions. My main aim when I retired was to travel but obviously that’s on hold now.

• JeanBWR 16th January 2021 at 9:50 pm

Hi Ginny, thank you for your reply. Some machines I have been given, some were rescued from being disabled and welded as decoration in a well known shop. Others I bought on Facebook marketplace or EBay but only collect locally as they get broken in the post. Enjoy your retirement, I love it. I don’t know how I had time to work! Looking forward to some sort of normality when Covid goes away though I suspect that will be quite some while.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 10:56 am

Hi Jean

I live in Whitstable, plenty of walking around here. I used to do LOADS of sewing as a child/teenager. Dolls clothes and then my own clothes. I have a basic singer in the loft but I haven’t used it in 35-40 years .. and there it sits … it will need a service for sure but there is (or I hope there is) a shop in Whitstable. I dare say I’ll take up sewing or embroidery again !

Love your cat, beautiful .. sadly I am allergic .. lived with a cat until I left home in 1980 and then the allergic reaction began!

• JeanBWR 17th January 2021 at 11:35 am

Hi Gill, Barcham’s in Whitstable is a great business and where I got my electric vintage machine from in September last year (my first vintage machine) they also serviced my previous machine. I have learnt a lot since then and can now take the machines to pieces and clean and polish them and adjust them etc. Vintage machines are very well made and if you take your time, take lots of photos if you take anything apart and watch loads of YouTube videos you soon get familiar with them and can service your own machine. I don’t do electric which is why I bought the first one ready serviced. There is a very good business in Lincolnshire who supplies all vintage parts and will rewire motors. I have done three machines for friends with another one waiting for restrictions to be lifted to pick up. I would be happy to look at yours ( if it’s not electric) I just enjoy fiddling with them. I would tell you if there was something that needs professional input. I live not far from the Brenley roundabout and in normal times come down to Whitstable quite a bit as we have a few friends there. Take care.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 11:51 am

With all the hop fields nearby (love the Sondes Tea House in Selling – those were the days and MacNades)
          Amazing re the vintage machines. My sister kept my mum’s handle driven singer and I think she still uses it. It is now in the USA where she has been for nearly 30 years.

• JeanBWR 17th January 2021 at 12:08 pm

Vintage machines are very popular in the US.
          I live just down the road from Clare’s Sonde’s Tea House, she has done so well especially during lockdown with everything outside. Macnades is amazing, I used to go and pick your own when it was just a stall off the Ashford Road! Showing my age now!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 12:38 pm

I did wonder if you lived in that village, but then thought there are plenty of others. My grandaughter lives in Selling with her mother (she is 4 – Nancy not her mother!). Haven’t seen her since February! She will definitely have changed!

Well it shows you have lived in that area longer than me!! I was brought up in Rainham and merely bypassed you on the M2 way on the way to Grandmas in Broadstairs! I only move to Whitstable in 2016.

I wondered if she has been doing take aways .. didn’t want to venture out there to find out and it be a wasted journey. Love her food .. great for the veggies out there! Their food is delicious.

• JeanBWR 17th January 2021 at 1:29 pm

She has been doing takeaway lunches, soup and bean dishes with bread and takeaway coffee. She is closed on Sunday and Monday. I’m afraid we don’t go down often as we get most things delivered and don’t go out unless we really have to. Might have to get some milk this week. She has a Facebook page which says what she is doing, best to look on there. My daughter is vegetarian so went a few times, they love it.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 1:36 pm

I will follow her on FB. She never was open on a Monday .. Thanks so much and lovely to ‘meet’ you!

Add