Home Forums Learning Hi, I have been working as a French teacher in sch...

ValerieRose13 Posted 2 months ago Learning
Hi, I have been working as a French teacher in schools since 1995 and I feel now I want to teach solely on-line reaching individuals or groups everywhere in the world. I am unsure how to best do this. Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated as regard means of advertising, teaching web.
1 like & 8 replies
    • Iva 19th August 2021 at 12:37 am

One way is to to start expert blog on a social media platform with your french language tips and then you will acquire private students.
      It will take time and also money, because occassionally you will need to pay for the ads.
      Sometimes I see french language tuition columns in gumtree, in local facebook group, in local coffeshops, gyms, newsagents, moms groups, tennis and golf clubs etc
      There is no harm of placing adverts anywhere just to test the market.
      there is also Advertise your business on Google , I think it is for free
      French Allianz institute used to have a small ads section but I don’t know whether they do it now.

perhaps you could start google for a french tutor youself: For example, I am looking for a french tutor online for my 7 years old , or 15 years old and then you will come across websites that either have registered tutors or they are educational centres or they register everyone for some kind of a small tutoring in general or even student website/chat room, etc

Mind you, some websites charge a small commission from each and every tutor but my friend who was homeschooling her kids, was also paying this surcharge. Local education authority which deals with homeschooling perhaps have some ads section for the teachers.
      There are so many people who do homeschooling nowadays, because of covid, that I won’t be surprised that they started progressively arranging something for the parents.
      Good luck.

• ArtistAngela 19th August 2021 at 12:02 pm

You can advertise for free on sites like Tutor Hunt or Superprof, but just be aware that Superprof will want to put your full address on the site even though you are teaching online only. It’s OK if you have a business address, but not everyone wants their home address to be on the site.
      You can look through the sites to see what others charge, and you can decide what age range and levels you want to teach. Good luck.

• Edwin 19th August 2021 at 3:32 pm

Regarding the teaching portion:

Zoom is obviously a good choice for any interested people you already have, as it’s easily available, works well and is quite stable. My daughter has weekly Italian lessons via Zoom from a teacher in another city.

Reaching people around the world will likely mean you use pre-recorded videos and the relevant platforms, as the time-change can be a nightmare if you try to do it live. For this I’d consider something like Udemy.com where you can create an instructive program or programs (beginner, intermediate, advanced) of the length you’d like.

With Udemy, each course usually involves a series of videos, 5-20 minutes in length. You can then add homework and extra material, and even a certificate of completion, as well as chat in the comments or link to your own forums (e.g. private FaceBook group) to foster discussion.

Another option might be Teachable.com, but I think that has a higher up front cost.

• ValerieRose13 19th August 2021 at 4:16 pm

Thank very much for all your suggestions

• Linde 24th August 2021 at 10:45 pm

Dear Valerie, I have spoken to you before, I am the one learning Dutch! Anyway, have you managed to set up everything for online teaching? I am trying to do the same, but for German lessons. I haven’t anyone I can readily ask for advice, so if you have any advice, please let me know. Thank you! Linde

• ValerieRose13 25th August 2021 at 1:31 pm

Hi, people have kindly suggested : TutorExtraUk, Tutor Hunt and Superprof, Udemy, Teachable.com. I need to do some serious research at the beginning of September. I will certainly have a webpage designed. When I am in the right mindset to reorganize myself I will certainly share some contacts, details etc . My sister in law has recommended someone who designed her webpage. He reviews it whenever it needs to be updated. I will let you know the cost etc very soon. Valérie

• Linde 28th August 2021 at 11:51 pm

Thank you, Valerie, I look forward to hearing from you. These are exciting times, aren’t they, people have been forced to re-think ways of working, teaching, keeping sane!
      We homeschooled years ago, when there weren’t many of us, but it worked really well. All the best, Linde

• EmmilyParker 12th September 2021 at 1:51 pm

Hi, I think you know that you as a teacher have to constantly explain information to students, and this is the most difficult task. Your job is to make this information interesting and easy to understand. And I think the best option is to use the service – https://slidepeak.com/blog/how-to-make-presentations-interactive ,which will make a modern presentation for you on any topic. People remember more visually than aurally. Therefore, it is very important that the presentation looks beautiful. Of course, you save your time on this because they will do the job for you in 24 hours. I think you will come in handy!

Add