Home Forums Style & Beauty Hi I have an online boutiqu and I would like to in...

Ritak Posted 2 years ago
Hi I have an online boutiqu and I would like to introduce fashion for the age over 45. It has been suggested that people over the age of 50 are reluctant to buy online or embrace the internet. How has the COVID pandamic influenced your views of buying clothing online?

9 likes & 29 replies
    • Deleted User 7th November 2020 at 4:08 am

Hi, I have just turned 60 years old and have been online shopping for years. I don’t think it’s the case that people over 50 are reluctant to buy online or embrace the internet – most of us have been using various platforms for years. I certainly have. So, I’m buying from OUTNET, Net a Porter, Amazon, Nike, Amara, Etsy, and most department stores. I buy furniture as well as clothes and looking at cars…all online. Th pandemic has led me more to Amazon for quick purchases but to be honest, some of the stuff is only available on line. Eg, broader range of fitness clothes, shoes and weight online than in local shops. I still enjoy shopping locally but let’s face it, the high street is becoming homogeneous and unfortunately if you want something slightly interesting it’s London or online. I’m still a big fan of John Lewis but on reflection generally buy home wear or pick up sale items. If you’re looking to target over age 45 I’d suggest clothing that has style, is well cut and not designed for 16 year old bodies, uses the best fabrics within the price point and keeps relevance to trends. I’m not a fan of age appropriate dressing…i prefer body appropriate dressing ….for any age across any platform.

• Jillola 7th November 2020 at 7:53 am

I’m 52 next week and do everything online. Just make sure you have an easy returns process and that it’s free. I no longer buy from companies that charge for returns.

good luck

• Deleted User 7th November 2020 at 8:40 am

Hi I’m 66 in a couple of weeks and shop online a lot.  I’m looking for good quality affordable sustainable fabrics, linen, organic cotton and wool.  I won’t touch viscous, polyester or nylon!

Style and good fit are key, too.  I nay be over 45 with 6 grandchildren, but I want to look good, not a frump!

Oh and free returns…

• Mary A 7th November 2020 at 8:56 am

I’m almost 55 and I’ve been buying online for years, mostly from Next, John Lewis, Wallis, White Stuff and Phase Eight. I’ve not had to return anything yet as these shops are pretty accurate with their sizing. I love online shopping as where I live we have very little choice. I like well-cut clothes and usually go for a classic style which doesn’t date. It’s quality rather than quantity for me these days. I can’t wait to buy some going-out clothes though. These days it’s comfy joggers and woolly jumpers! 😱😂🤣

• Pollyann 7th November 2020 at 9:28 am

I’m well over 45 and very conversant with the internet. I do a lot of online shopping: Amazon Prime is a godsend in these covid times. I will second  previous posters and say free returns always please

• Deleted User 7th November 2020 at 8:21 pm

As you can see, that’s a nonsense. I’m 69 in couple of weeks and have been buying clothes online for years, mainly from MnS as I like deciding at home. Recently have bought few items from Thought who’s unusual fabrics appeal to me.  Free returns are definitely a must. I like loose-fitting bright coloured tunics/dresses which can be worn with leggings.
      Please go for it and send us the link!

• Deleted User 7th November 2020 at 8:30 pm

As all the other comments what a load of tosh I have been buying online for years and I am well over 45. I know some of my friends are reluctant to but but when they see the clothes I have bought cannot believe I bought without first trying on. I am a big fan of online shopping. Gets my vote.

• Christine Twigg 8th November 2020 at 9:18 pm

I agree with many of the comments and like to do both online and offline. It’s a very personal choice, just like any behaviour. However, I tend to not buy clothes anymore online unless I know the company and their sizing as I have had some disasters.  I am also grateful that at the age of 51 I also know what I like to wear instead of my 16 year old self who just wore things that were in fashion, not necessarily well made and were not quality! I haven’t had to buy anything in the pandemic other than cycling gear as been working from home and going to the gym before it shut again!

• Inky Ess 10th November 2020 at 1:39 pm

I don’t think the pandemic has influenced my buying of clothes online.  I already buy quite often online but usually from places that I know are good quality and fit.  That’s not to say that I wouldn’t try a new outlet.  I like buying in person too, as it’s important to feel the fabric, but if I know a particular brand then I will not hesitate to buy online.

good luck with your endeavour, sounds exciting.

ps at 63 I’m well over the 45+ 😁

best wishes, Shari

• g 22nd November 2020 at 9:35 am

i have been buying on line for decades.. mostly ebay as i like things that are a bit different and i trust them.. love well cut , quality cloths that suit me.. never enjoyed shopping as nothing but cheaply made ‘fashion’ items that date quickly.. used to love per una till they stopped being hippy and became frumpy .

• Deleted User 22nd November 2020 at 3:46 pm

So agree with comment about Per Una! Used to be nice quirky touches like unusual buttons, nice patterns and colours but agree become frumpy and boring now like so many other M&S ranges.

• Deleted User 22nd November 2020 at 3:49 pm

So, Ritak, after all these encouraging comments, are you going ahead?  Please keep us posted.

• Ritak 25th November 2020 at 6:41 pm

Yes I am going to go ahead and introduce more for over the age group above 45’s

Thank you for your response

• capri888 23rd November 2020 at 11:42 am

I would love to buy online if sizing was more ‘standard’. whenever I do I have to return most items.  I think online for over 50s is quite a poor selection to be honest so definitely a market for it.  I hardly ever find clothes I want to buy in stores these days !

• Rubylynne 25th November 2020 at 10:10 pm

I love buying my clothes as in out and about shopping but have managed to buy
      On line with companies I know, fit size and feel comfortable in buying that I trust
      But always interested in new places to buy and looking at new clothes styles etc

• Rubylynne 25th November 2020 at 10:28 pm

I think these days those over 45 and up to my age 75 , I don’t think so much
      Of ones age but if it suits me in the now just love fashion which often seems to be
      Coming round again I tend to remember items but they still look recent somehow
      I find it keeps me feeling less older not that I mind my a actual age group it helps me
      enjoy it as when you i younger if that makes sense

• Rebecca H 4th January 2021 at 12:19 pm

Hi, Im in my 50s and Ive been buying online clothes and other products for years. I also am a longterm member of Beauty Pie for all my beauty products which is an online shop. I don’t believe people over 50 are reluctant to buy online at all. Ive worked in 40 plus fashion design for over 20 years so I’ve seen the online tech boom coming but also been aware of how important sustainable fashion is now. Since Covid Ive not bought any new clothes. My new mantra is Less Is More. I decluttered my wardrobe in March and sold a lot online in my Depop shop. I kept only the things I really love and good quality items that still suit me. I have only bought 3 items second hand in 2020. All this was done mainly in response to the massive waste and impact on the planet of the cheap mass-produced clothes industry – of which I was part of sadly. Women over 50 certainly appreciate well made, timeless, stylish clothes that are sustainably produced and if the product is gorgeous and flattering they will invest in buying. Your site needs to have great customer service, quick delivery and a good returns policy. Best of luck! x

• Lesley EW 4th January 2021 at 1:10 pm

I’m now 50 and before the pandemic I only shopped online for things I didn’t need to try on as I knew it would suit me. Nothing to do with embracing the internet just personal preference. If I’m looking for a new style or something unusual I prefer to try before I buy. Now that I can’t do that I may start shopping more for clothes online. I always get shoes online though as most high street shops don’t do size 7 1/2 so if I want shoes I’m not going to walk out of I don’t have much choice. With a body thats pear shaped and too short for the length of my arms and legs, it’s difficult to find things that fit me properly anywhere. Which is why I prefer to try things on first.

• Jillola 4th January 2021 at 9:41 pm

I’ve always bought online. I don’t think it’s the over 50’s that are concerned. Most of us are working on private VPNs with our companies.

• Andy Paddles 4th January 2021 at 10:01 pm

And let’s not forget, the majority of people on here are old enough to remember catalogue shopping! The thrill of the new seasonal catalogue being left on the door step! How many hours could you spend flicking through preparing your Christmas list!!!

Halcyon days!

• Somethingshort 1st February 2021 at 6:57 am

Ah, bedtime reading! I’ve just heard Ikea are doing away with their catalogues. Quick save it from the bin. I used to like the supplements they offered with certain newspapers. I’ve never seen such peculiar offerings by post…….

• Somethingshort 1st February 2021 at 6:55 am

The High Street is changing. On-line shopping will be changing. How much longer before we can type a pro-type of our body onto the web and choose clothing so that it FITS perfectly? Or am I jumping years ahead of myself here.

Me……..these days…………I make my own! I knit my own vests and pants and sew myself into garments for the winter.

Seriously, I want natural fibres, clothes that fit, aren’t made in….sssh you know where……..locally made Haute Couture, wash and wear forever.

• Somethingshort 1st February 2021 at 6:59 am

………..and by the way……if anyone has a knitted pattern for a swimsuit……please. Download it here.

• NYC to UK 28th March 2021 at 6:38 pm

I am 58 and have been shopping online ever since online existed. I like looking in stores to touch the fabrics and try things on; once I know how the sizes run in a particular store I am happy to order online. I have never had problems with QVCUK, Seasalt, John Lewis, LandsEnd or Debenhams.

• Shirlann 28th March 2021 at 6:54 pm

I’ve done online clothes shopping but sometimes doesn’t look or fit as well as I hoped ☹️

• Deleted User 28th March 2021 at 10:24 pm

As a 51 year old female who hates shopping on the High street, the internet is a godsend. River Island, Next, Boohoo and ASOS are my favourites when it comes to the ease of ordering and returns of clothing and accessories. Amazon is my No1 supplier of everything else.

• Klais 26th November 2021 at 12:18 am

I’ll do my best to point you in the right direction for decent, dependable clothing. I simply know from personal experience that it is not difficult nowadays and that anyone can do it. All you have to do is go to https://www.meadowweb.com/collections/our-legacy . I’ve ordered from them several times, and each time the clothes have shown to be quite reliable and functional. I was quite pleased with the outcome. I hope I was able to assist others as well.

• NYC to UK 26th November 2021 at 12:21 pm

I don’t find it true that there is a reluctance to shop online for any particular age group, rather a personal preference. Shopping online from my favourite fashion brands has been my way ever since they began to have websites.

• Ritak 26th November 2021 at 12:35 pm

Thank you for your response. It helps a great deal for a small business.

Add