Home Forums Loneliness Hi….here’s an odd request….I’m looking for...

Westlinstar Posted 6 months ago
Hi….here’s an odd request….I’m looking for a writing buddy….someone who may share enough of an interest in the books I am writing to be a sounding board and cheerleader! Writing can be a lonely place and when you look up and are met with walls of silence, it can be crushingly discouraging.

I offer witty banter and a wicked sense of humour in return! 😃

15 likes & 24 replies
    • Colin in Kent 3rd August 2021 at 11:55 am

I’m more than happy to help, I’ve edited books for an independent publisher, and write my own short stories which have been published by a variety of small presses – last one published was ‘La Ronde’ in Eibonvale’s chapbook line. I wrote one terrible novel in the 90s but as it’s all in manuscript I’ve never been able to face typing it up. Attempting to write a YA novel at the moment, but constantly sidetracked. I’d love to read what you’re working on, if you think that would be of value (I’m far from an expert though).

However, I won’t be offended if you’re looking for something else, or perhaps have a specific type of fiction in mind.

• Westlinstar 3rd August 2021 at 1:56 pm

Colin from Kent…..yes, yes, yes and no, no, no….lol!

Yes I would love any support you would kindly offer, and no I am not looking for something else. YA is perfect!

I warn you tho, I am unruly and undisciplined. I have an imagination too big for my literary skills and I can be distracted by something as simple as a light shadow! 😄

I would be really interested to hear about your novel too…if you are ok to share? I can be a bit Gollum over ‘my precious’ and completely understand the need to feel safe in the sharing ☺️

Thank you for responding. It was a bit of a frustrated and spontaneous moment to be honest. Really wasn’t sure anyone would reply! Happy to DM if you are ok with that.

• TNT 5th August 2021 at 5:42 pm

I’ll help, I used to write but mostly gothic horror. I’ve got a good imagination too.

• Westlinstar 5th August 2021 at 7:20 pm

Awww thank you so much I will most definitely take you up on your offer when needs be ☺️ Basically I just need a kick up the bum to refocus and keep going most of the time lol!

• Mark123 22nd August 2021 at 2:30 pm

Hi Westlinstar (interesting pseudonym),

I have just read your completely “normal” request for a writing buddy, as it is as you say a lonely place for sure.

I note from your replies that Colin seems to be well qualified to assist you, as does Know0037. Both I think would be useful collaborator`s. However if you will permit I would also like to join this merry band of aspiring writers as I too am a fellow aspirant and would relish the opportunity to swap our writing experiences.

I was particularly drawn Westlinstar to initially your opening request, but further intrigued by your response to Colin, unruly, undisciplined, easily distracted by “light shadow’s …urmm! I really like the imagery of the Gollum comment too, priceless. But I do get exactly where you are coming from in terms of precious along with safe, as those two adjectives, adverb’s or nouns I completely identify with regarding my writing efforts too.

So I really do hope you will all let me join this fledgling “Writers Society”, and who knows we may just produce the greatest novel of all time. Oh and Westlinstar may you always have the impetus of frustration and spontaneity to drive you forward, it did this time!

Mark

• Westlinstar 22nd August 2021 at 10:37 pm

Of course you can hop on board….might have to smash a few bottles against the hull of a cool group name tho….🤔🍾😂

What is the writing dream for you Mark?

• Sonny1234 24th August 2021 at 4:48 am

This is a wierd one but a bit of a challenge , I’m not a writer but I can have a go at being a sounding board if you want to try me , I like to think about things in different ways & scenarios , so I could be of some help !!!

• Opalwiz 2nd September 2021 at 2:33 pm

Fire away!

• Marica 2nd September 2021 at 4:09 pm

It sounds as if you have a good following already, Westlinstar. I wrote a book as yet unpublished and not sure how to go about it either so I think your request for advice and comments is a good one especially from so many literary people here . Hope you get loads of good advice

• Gillian Linda 12th September 2021 at 10:53 pm

Hi. I’m an avid reader. What type of books do you write? I have eclectic taste and would be a great sounding board 🙃

• Buster66 19th October 2021 at 1:48 pm

I’d like to get in contact with you I’ve done a lot of writing in the past but not lately not published anything bit worried it might be rubbish lol good excuse to get back in to it

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 19th October 2021 at 1:58 pm

I’m going to regret this, but…

I am a technical writer and am happy to proof read and offer suggestions on language. No charge.

• Dead Poet 12th November 2021 at 8:15 am

Have crazy observations on life & people all day long. I always admire someone who can put a story together & hold the reader all the way through a book. I would enjoy being one of your soundboard soul mates or at least an apprentice. I’m discreet almost secretive, have a zany not quite right sense of humour which appears at the wrong time so if you need a more in depth CV then just ask. Would love reading your ideas & work in progress.

• Westlinstar 12th November 2021 at 3:28 pm

Hi there society of the dead poet! 😃 Of course, you can absolutely join the posse……no cv consideration required, just a ‘hell yeah!’ Lol! I’m gonna admit to not giving any of my writing it’s due attention these days Lazily hoping for a lightning bolt to shock me back into life! 🤪😂 We can but try tho right?

• Dead Poet 12th November 2021 at 8:18 am

PS, & even if not required I wish you well with your work, break a leg! But not down a rabbit hole 🤣

• Dead Poet 13th November 2021 at 6:10 pm

Well all systems go then 👍🏼

• Labby 26th November 2021 at 11:52 am

What is the title of the book and when do you need assistance?
      Reply to email, [email protected]

• SarahPeebles 26th January 2022 at 7:21 pm

Your doing well
      Carry on books are to ones own

• Scorpihun 26th January 2022 at 10:02 pm

I myself enjoy the solitude of writing, for it brings me great comfort, and also entertainment. But I am writing for my own pleasure and fun, no books as yet, those are only for reading purposes.

I also find the silence of the walls, not lambs, does not bother me in the slightest. In fact it helps me to think deeper, and to concentrate more on what lies ahead, in my mind.

I do share your passion for witty banter though, and I also have a wicked sense of humour, maybe too wicked at times, he said smiling to himself.

To be honest, that is what makes my world go round really.

So, are you asking for a critic, or simply someone to offer some help to your writing, and also, what is it that you are writing?

Are they women’s books, adventure, thrillers, or even children’s books.

I look forward to hearing from you, my name is Andy by the way, and you can DM me if you want to.

Add