Home Forums Book Club Hi Everyone! I’m new on here. Just dropping by t...

Hi Everyone! I’m new on here. Just dropping by to see what everyone is reading?
24 likes & 219 replies Share
    • Alb 9th July 2021 at 8:24 pm

Am about half way into Diary of a young naturalist by Dara McAnulty.
      The author is a autistic teenager and tells of how his love of nature helps his coping of the world around. Moving, illuminating, brilliant writing would recommend it to anyone

• loislane 9th July 2021 at 10:47 pm

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

• George W 11th July 2021 at 9:00 am

Made in Scotland by Billy Connolly( book to accompany the BBC series)picked it up for 20p in charity shop on Thursday and can’t put it down .

• Louise56 11th July 2021 at 2:08 pm

I’m currently reading/listening to….A Room Full Of Killers by Michael Wood.
      I’ve just returned from a couple of weeks away & during that time I listened to:
      Olive, Mabel & Me by Andrew Cotter
      Twisted Lies by Angela Marsons
      Outside Looking In by Michael Wood
      All Fall Down by MJ Arlidge
      Dead Ground by MW Craven

• Chris45 11th July 2021 at 2:11 pm

Hi,
      I’m still trying to finish an Andy MC,Nab book. Takes me forever. 😬😬

• Gailp 10th August 2021 at 11:33 pm

When I read an Andy McNab book I’m hooked by chapter 2, and I generally finish his books in the day. I’m retired, so read in bed on a night, and again when I wake up early, but if I find a good book, I can’t stop till the end. Try Chris Ryan’s book too- same subject matter.
        They were both in the forces, out in Middle East, and its as if
        They try to compete with each other with each new book- but in truth it’s a pretty level playing field.

• Chi 11th July 2021 at 5:28 pm

I am just about to finish The Magus by John Fowles. Not even sure where to start in trying to describe it but it is compulsive reading. A treatise on the human psyche, lots of psychological twists and turns (but it is not a thriller), loosely based on The Tempest. Difficult to categorise but I am enjoying it immensely!

• Lillian 11th July 2021 at 5:44 pm

Hi I’ve just finished reading The Witness by Nora Roberts thoroughly enjoyed it what books are you interested in Lillian

• Sand 11th July 2021 at 6:20 pm

I am currently reading COVER YOUR EYES by
      Adele Geras it seems good, but I have only just started it.

• Lillian 13th July 2021 at 6:12 pm

Hi sand I’ve not read that one let me know your thoughts when you’ve finished it

• Anonymous User 13th July 2021 at 8:48 pm

Lars Kepler crime really like he Scandinavian crime books

• Anonymous User 13th July 2021 at 9:40 pm

The Last Sailorman (Dick Durham), an account of the last man to skipper a Thames sailing barge in trade, Bob Roberts. Durham was mate on the “Cambria” in his youth and writes well.

The Buddha In Daily Life (Richard Causton), a leading British Buddhist of a few decades ago.

Zorba The Greek (Nikos Kazantzakis).

Currently decluttering my store of books and it’s hard not to stop and browse.

• Honda50 19th July 2021 at 10:35 am

I’ve been dipping in and out of There is No F in Art by Eli Castelli for inspiration. It’s made me want to paint something I was never very good at at school, but that’s changed.

Attachments:
    • CELIA 1st August 2021 at 4:58 pm

for some reason even I don’t understand I was drawn to reading something set between the wars. I am now reading the Cazulets and really enjoying it.

• Cherylmarie 1st August 2021 at 4:58 pm

Hi I’ve just joined too.
      I’m reading Outsider by Stephen King, but gruesome, but if you like Stephen King this is a good thriller

• Rob1000 1st August 2021 at 5:26 pm

I’m not a massive reader tbh (would like to read more) but someone recommended ‘The Secret History’ so I downloaded that onto Kindle (I don’t have actually have a kindle but I have the app on my phone!!)

• Gailp 10th August 2021 at 11:41 pm

You need to buy yourself a kindle!
        You will struggle to read a book on a phone- will definitely strain your eyes. Go on, treat yourself!

• Nelle96 3rd August 2021 at 8:10 am

I’m reading A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, which I am thoroughly enjoying. Set around the time of the Russian revolution it’s the story of a Count Alexander Rostov who is placed under house arrest at the Metropol hotel with the threat of being shot if he ever leaves it.

• Anonymous User 3rd August 2021 at 9:09 pm

The Luminaries …. sadly highly underwhelmed by style and story flow… too confusing and a rather bothersome read – expected so much more from this….. but hey, just not my style and was a charity shop find for £1

Also watched the first TV episodes of it and just the same reaction 😜 just finding it bland and deprived of actual emotions …. hmmm … anyone who had a more illuminating experience??

• Lizzie64 3rd August 2021 at 10:04 pm

Hi JoJo
      Just finished Strange Fits of Passion by Anita Shreve. It’s quite hard hitting but one I enjoyed.

• Gailp 10th August 2021 at 11:27 pm

Currently reading Meet me under the Ombudsman Tree by Santa Montefiore. It’s a family saga that spreads across the generations, and it draws you in until you feel you are part of it. I’ve read it twice before, but it’s so good I like to revisit it every couple of years.
      She has written lots, many based in Italy, in times gone by, and crossing generations, but she creates wonderful characters, and they are all hard to put down, but this is the only that I revisit.

• SteveDunn1969 29th August 2021 at 5:15 pm

Currently listening to SPQR by Mary Beard…. and reading Sovereign by C.J.Sansom.

• seanb 29th August 2021 at 6:40 pm

“Coastliners” by Joanne Harris! How about you?

• DMJT 30th August 2021 at 10:41 am

Currently reading Jean de Florette by Marcel Pagnol, and listening to The Little Drummer Girl by John Le Carre. Love Le Carre, he reminds me of Graham Greene

• Bez 4th September 2021 at 4:00 pm

Oliver Twist. A childhood favourite revisited.

• AngieDay 5th September 2021 at 2:22 pm

Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers- around half way through, enjoying so far! Great characters and an interesting premise – a local journalist investigating a possible virgin birth, set in the fifties.

• Rowie 111 20th September 2021 at 4:07 pm

Richard Osman, the Thursday Murder Club
      Great fun, great story and the sequel is just out….

• GillD 20th September 2021 at 7:29 pm

Hi. Reading Around the world in 80 trains by Monisha Rajesh. Nice to feel a sense of travel

• Sand 21st September 2021 at 6:08 pm

I have only just started my book from the library, it it “Lizzie Jordans Secret Life” by Chris Manby, if I finish it I will give a review.

• Alb 21st September 2021 at 8:34 pm

I last posted back in July after reading Dara McAnulity, diary of a young naturalist which I would recommend. I attempt to read a “serious” book followed by a novel or story of some kind. My tastes cover all sorts of stuff and I don’t get stuck into any particular type of book. Since finishing Daras book I have got through;
      Box 88, a very decent spy novel that I can see being made into a film.
      To the island of tides by Alistair Moffat which I expected to be a history of Lindisfarne (the island, not the band) but was more of a personal journey following in the footsteps of Oswald. Would recommend this for anyone who has visited Lindisfatne or is thinking of going.
      Q by Christina Dalcher. A powerful distopian book with a big twist at the end.
      Court No. 1. The old Bailey which provides a fascinating insight via 11 trials over the years into the legal system.
      Ragner Jonathan’s book The Island. Recommend for anyone who enjoys Nordic noir.
      Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. Its hit the best sellers list and rightly so.
      I was given a copy of Richard Osmans Thursday murder club. Can’t see what all the fuss is about. Not (in my view) a great book. It is the sort of throw away book that I used to read on my holidays in the 1980s. Was way ahead of the plot line and bored by the wooden characters and gaps in the plot line. Has to go down as worst book I have read so far this year.
      My book of the year (so far), (and it is going to take something to beat it) is English Pastoral by James Rebanks. It is a worthy winner of the Wainwright prize. Beautifully written and a joy to read. For once the various quotes by the critics are actually true. I urge you to at least consider this book for you reading list. An absolute joy of a book

• HippieFrenchy 3rd October 2021 at 2:32 pm

Am halfway into “all the light we cannot see” by A Doerr

• Bakingbree 16th October 2021 at 8:01 am

Fabulous book. I’m just reading Four Seasons in Rome by the same author. It’s about his time living there. I now want to hop on a plane and go to Italy!

• Pennypitstop 4th October 2021 at 10:07 pm

I just read Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, very good book.
      I absolutely love reading and i get so giddy when i have a new book to read !.
      I never or should i say very very rarely read a book again though there are too many to get through.

Add