Home Forums Local Groups England Norfolk Hi everyone! I’m excited to join you and hopeful...

• Hi everyone! I’m excited to join you and hopefully make some new friends especially during these weird times of being confined to base. I live on the Norfolk/Cambs border. Interested in all things creative, from painting and drawing to jewellery making and sewing. love to hear from you all

Posted by Inky Ess
    • Reply by Inky Ess

Hi Daral

So good that you’re willing to give it a go.  Painting and drawing are wonderful hobbies and with your great photography skills you’ll never be short of inspiration.

with painting and drawing I didn’t actually use YouTube, although it has been invaluable for other things I’m interested in, so I’m sure there’s something on there to help.  I have a lot of art books to refer to and I joined a couple of art forums that were so supportive and helpful, one of which is Wetcanvas.com

I usually limit the number of colours I use and try to draw every day no matter what, even if it’s only a fifteen minute sketch.  It helps me to “see” and improves my hand/eye coordination.  It doesn’t matter what paint you use, they all have advantages as well as disadvantages.

I started in watercolours believing they would be the easiest to learn. Wrong.   It is in fact the most difficult medium. When it goes right it is beautiful, but it can be very unforgiving.  When I tried oils I realised how much easier they were to work with.  Make a mistake and just paint over it or scrape it off.  You can probably tell oils are my favourite.  Acrylics are good because you can use them diluted with water to give a watercolour effect or you can use them straight from the tube for an oil colour effect.  The benefit and also the drawback with acrylics is they dry very quickly.  Also acrylics dry slighter darker than when wet.

I don’t mind the questions, I’m always happy to help.

best wishes and happy painting!

Shari

• Reply by Daral

Hey Shari, hope you don’t mind me barging in!

Does that mean you paint, draw, make jewellery and sew? If you do, I’d love to see some of your work if you would like to share it with us. Thanks.

• Reply by Inky Ess

Yes I have many hobbies mostly craft type.  I will try to post some pics.

Painting in oils, silver rings I made and a jersey top.

Attachments:
        • Reply by Daral

Oh WOW! You’re so talented Shari. Thank you so much for sharing! Have you had formal tuition at some point or a self-starter? Always wanted to paint and fancied designing my own jewellery (even though I don’t wear jewellery!). But like most things, I have great ideas and never find the time!

I did buy a sewing machine during the first lockdown earlier this year and have used it twice! But that is definitely something I will pursue as I have lots of denim to repair!

• Reply by Inky Ess

Thank you for your kind words.  Believe me, if I can paint anyone can!  I started learning to paint and draw late in life as I always believed I had no talent (very bad experience at school) and thought you had to be born artistic.  I’m primarily self taught, taking a few courses here and there to learn the basics like how to actually use oils. 😁. It’s all about practice and sticking at it.

with the sewing, I have lots and lots of fabric, but don’t seem to get around to using it lol 😂 buying fabric is almost a hobby in itself.e

as far as the jewellery is concerned, I took a couple of courses in silversmithing and just carried on learning at home.  YouTube is amazing for learning how to do anything, so if I get stuck I go online.

best wishes

Shari

• Reply by Daral

Awesome!

Oil on canvas can be such a difficult media to work with. So well done you! It’s obvious you have e a feeling for it as there is fluidity and a relaxed feel to your work with a good use of complimentary colours and tones. I’m glad you didn’t let your school experience put you off!

Some of my friends are crafty with fabrics (and other stuff), and I see their passion for fabric and collecting so can completely understand where you’re coming from. There’s some stunning fabrics out there and I’m certainly not able to trust myself to do anything other than ruin them!! I’s just be happy to be able to repair my Levis!

I really do think I’d like to have a try at the jewellery making. Silver and gold perhaps. You’re dead right about YouTube. Totally agree, I think you can learn to do just about anything on YouTube. It’s got me out of trouble with projects on more than one occasion and it’s a great point of reference.

Thanks again for sharing your work, really appreciate it. So if you have any more to share, feel free!

• Reply by Inky Ess

Thank you for your lovely feedback.

I must admit I really love working with silver, it’s such a beautiful metal.  I’m afraid gold is a little bit out of my price bracket, and I think I would be too afraid to touch it for fear of messing up big time, but I sometimes  use copper to practice before working in silver.

I do hope you repair those Levi’s, it may be the beginning of a sewing addiction.  I hate throwing clothes away and am always trying to think if I could maybe repurpose them.  I know of some people who make bags out of denim or use old clothes to make teddies or patchwork quilts.  That seems such a good way to recycle.

best wishes

Shari

• Reply by Daral

You know, that’s a good point. I hadn’t considered the costs involved with gold. Doh!! But using copper as an alternative is a brilliant idea. Thanks for the to tip!

My son and his mates wear distressed clothes and pay a premium for the privilege of wearing jeans full of holes! I  have about four pairs of Levis that need patching here and there and although if I wore my jeans that have holes in as they are I may look trendy, it just wouldn’t look or  feel right to me. So I’ll just wait until I patch them up. Even if it takes me a while, Levis never go out of fashion – which is just as well!! Ha!

Are you lucky enough to have an area where you paint and create, like some kind of studio, a creative space to work in perhaps?

• Reply by Inky Ess

I used to have a studio at my old house, well a gloried shed really, but it was big and it was nice to have a dedicated space.  Unfortunately since I moved here I haven’t got a dedicated space to paint in.  I was going to use the spare room but my eldest son broke up with his partner and returned home.  I’m still waiting for him to get his own place again.  Then I can hopefully use that room.

I do have an outside shed that I use for my silverwork, soldering, hammering, etc.  Anything else I do on the kitchen table, dining table or conservatory.  Obviously I have to move everything for mealtimes 🙄

best wishes

Shari

• Reply by Daral

Sorry to hear about your son, I hope it all works out. Poor chap.

I guess it doesn’t really matter if you don’t have a dedicated studio, as long as you at least have some kind of space to work in. I would imagine the most important thing is at least you have a space (no matter how small or temporary). However you manage to do your work, it’s obviously working for you as indicated by the work you’ve shared. So well done you! Imagine how some of the greats may have started out all those years ago. A single paintbrush and a piece of wood to paint on in a candle lit hovel next to their bed in a cold damp room! Well, I don’t actually know if that’s true, but it sounds plausible. Ha!!

Over the years, I’ve managed to accumulate some paints, brushes etc. and have canvas at work, so I’m keen to give it at go. So if you can recommend any YouTube links for learning to draw and paint that you found helpful, I’d appreciate your suggestions. I know  there’s lots of stuff out there, but as a painter, your suggestions would be awesome. Hope you don’t mind me asking so many questions!

Thanks Shari.

Add