Home Forums General Hi everyone. I wondered if there is anyone who is...

Lin67 Posted 2 years ago
Hi everyone. I wondered if there is anyone who is renting their home in their senior years and feels insecure for their future. Not having a forever home. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.
4 likes & 9 replies
    • Deleted User 2nd January 2021 at 9:48 pm

Hi Lin67. I have rented my home from the City Council for over 25 years. Prior to that I had always owned my own home but divorce took me down the social housing route. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t want to go back to home ownership as I have a secure tenancy so technically this is my “forever home”. I am just short of 70 years abs still enjoying working full time but who knows where my retirement will take me when I finally there!😊

• LeighS 2nd January 2021 at 10:51 pm

Yes I am. Going to be 60 this year and luckily I do have a good landlord that I rent directly from. However the area isn’t that good and to be honest I would like to move but given the current situation and the cost of rental properties in this area it could be awhile. I do keep my fingers crossed and hope my landlord doesn’t increase the rent to a stupid amount and wants to keep renting the house out.

• vaughanpauline 3rd January 2021 at 5:27 am

Quite the opposite, I feel more secure in my Social Housing home.

Like one of the previous posters I was forced into rented accommodation when my marriage broke up

At first I got a privately rented flat and although the flat itself was excellent the area left a lot to be desired.

After a long wait I was lucky enough to be offered my present accommodation by a housing association.

It’s exactly what I need and in my ideal area.

The rent is affordable and I feel reassured that if any repairs need doing they won’t cost me a penny, so no bills lurking around the corner.

I also know that I am able to do a housing transfer should my needs change.

I have friends who have ‘bought’ houses in private retirement complexes and despite paying for these properties have to pay a monthly service charge that is over half the amount I pay in rent, yet they have to also pay for repairs. They also have many restrictions placed on them.

No I see renting as a much better more economic and stress free option.

• Blauro 3rd January 2021 at 6:12 pm

Hi Lin67,
      It looks as though I will have to make this decision very shortly due to a marriage breakdown. It doesn’t look too promising as to whether I can afford to buy a property outright or I have to opt for the rental sector.
      I would prefer to own my own home but not too sure whether I will have this option.
      Are you facing this decision or are you already living in a rented property?

• Lin67 6th January 2021 at 8:12 am

We’ve been renting for a few years as we lost our house due to redundancy. We’re too old now to get a mortgage again. I’m sorry you’re losing your home. You could look at the part ownership schemes available from Councils.

• Deleted User 6th January 2021 at 9:38 am

I sold my home in Suffolk just over a year ago when I was widowed and moved to Cornwall where my daughter and her family live. We are all renting a large property which is big enough for us all to have our own space and is in the middle of beautiful countryside. I like the fact that I don’t need to pay for repairs myself, however, I am finding that I miss being in control of that aspect.

• J.A 6th January 2021 at 10:22 am

I found myself now having to decide which route I want to take as far as housing is concerned. Mainly because of a relationship breakdown. If I want to own again at the age of 60, affordability would probably take me out of the area that I am in now. My dilemma is, do I go for shared ownership or look for something that is specific to the over 60’s such as rental by social services.

• BettyBoop 6th January 2021 at 6:45 pm

If you can Jo Ann I’d suggest going for the social housing for peace of mind too. I am currently privately renting using up the money I got when the house was sold. Although I work I couldn’t manage the full rent and there isn’t a lot left now. I’m 59 so have to wait another year but hope that the council will help me x

• LeighS 6th January 2021 at 10:17 pm

Just another thought. It was also suggested to me that I look at social housing. There is a lack of it where I live and the waiting list is years long. Families also take priority. Personally I would love to see more social housing or at the very least affordable rental property with longer leases.

Add