Home Forums Jobs and careers Hi Everyone. I wondered if anybody has had experience as an Art Therapist/or perhaps received treatment in that area? At 55 I am considering doing an MA and training but personally know very little about Art Therapy and its scope. Any advice, thoughts, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Add comment

• Hi Everyone. I wondered if anybody has had experience as an Art Therapist/or perhaps received treatment in that area? At 55 I am considering doing an MA and training but personally know very little about Art Therapy and its scope. Any advice, thoughts, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by juliettepurdy
Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Reply by lesleymc2012

I’m a retired Residential Conveyancer just recovering from chemotherapy which wasn’t complete and left me in a trible place
      I was a victim of serisis what else cought one do
      I’m a slip risk and ever day I know this especially falling today
      I’m totally sick of this life at the moment I’ve got MS but you would think it’s worse than cancer
      I’m sick of this life
      But life goes on
      I try to explain this to my mum and daughter but heho life is ignored not thought of but thats my life

• Reply by jo.bodley

Hi! Theres an organisation I think its BAAT, British Association of Art Therapists, they run short ‘taster’ courses to give you an idea of whats involved.

I was advised by a prominent autism expert to seek Art Therapy as I’d become creatively blocked.I paid to see an Art Therapist once a week, I think it was helpful, but I was going through a phase of feeling bullied by people and she was one of them so I stopped going.

Later I worked in a care home facilitating art with residents- the problem being, my predeccessor was an art therapist and the residents didn’t know I wasn’t, and I became quite overloaded and burned out, despite finding parts of the work extremely rewarding and inspiring. A friend who is a qualified Art Therapist told me later that attempting to do a form of therapeutic art with people without having supervision (from another Art Therapist) could be dangerous to ones mental health, and I believe this to be true. I saw a second Art Therapist when I was strugling in my job, basically paying for my own supervision-but the situation was untenable, so I left that job.

I’d wanted to be an Art Therapist since completing a Fine Art degree in 1984, but my experiences in this field left me feeling that it was important for me to develop my own art practice.There are several courses and different approaches, Roehampton runs courses, they have open days. I have caring responsibilities and I’ve decided that its too big a commitment to retrain. Don’t let me put you off, I think its a fascinating career , if you are pretty robust in yourself…part of the therapeutic process involves undergoing a form of therapy oneself, and I have found this to be challenging. But I feel creatively unblocked now, so thats a bonus, for me.

Viewing 1 reply thread