Home Forums Gardening Hi everyone, anyone interested in vermicomposting?...

Jacy2020 Posted 2 years ago
Hi everyone, anyone interested in vermicomposting? Ie keeping worms for premium soil for gardens and indoor plants.
6 likes & 25 replies
    • Dermac 20th January 2021 at 7:26 pm

Hi there, my green fingered friend, it’s only in the last 2 years, that I’ve started in the garden, lot more time on my hands, now that iam retired, one thing I will say, the pleasure and personal satisfaction, is immense, recommend it for anyone what I’d like to ask, if you don’t mind, through the winter, ive filled up a couple of boxes, meter square, with old leaves, hundreds of used t bags, and loads of potato peelings, iam going to mash it all up through a bag of soil, and then spread it over the garden, turn it over once a month. Would that be the right thing to do ?

• Jacy2020 22nd January 2021 at 2:11 pm

Hi Dermac,
        When you say bag of soil do you mean from the worm bin compost.
        Make sure your t bags arnt mad from plastic.
        Free coffee grounds and filters from Costa coffee shops. Use this as a Green food for the worms.

• LawrieL 20th January 2021 at 8:10 pm

I’m interested in following and learning more.

• LawrieL 20th January 2021 at 8:13 pm

I’m interested in following and learning more ☺️

• Selsdon 20th January 2021 at 10:02 pm

Yes, I’ve looked at it but I thought the equipment a bit expensive for what it is and I seem to get plenty of worms in my compost bin as it is. How far have you got with it?

• Deleted User 21st January 2021 at 7:48 pm

Me too, is there a cheaper way too do it, more DIY?

• Jacy2020 22nd January 2021 at 1:42 pm

Hi have a look on Pinterest and YouTube
          Lots of info on homemade wormerys
          Very easy to make with plastic buckets, totes both with lids, poke a few holes in lid for air supply.
          Dark coloured as the verms don’t like light.

• Jacy2020 22nd January 2021 at 2:02 pm

Hi Andy homemade wormery made out of buckets and or totes, info for bedding and food also.
        See youtube /Pinterest and for info. Worms are doing well and multiplying.
        Use dark buckets/totes as the worms don’t like the light.
        Are you useing your compost on for your garden and indoor plants.

• Selsdon 22nd January 2021 at 2:43 pm

Yes using it in the garden. Only problem is I get all sorts of unexpected things coming up as a result of composting the previous years plants. I’ve got a Dalek so it probably doesn’t get hot enough to kill off any seed heads I’ve missed.
          Thanks for the wormery info will take a look.

• lindsay 21st January 2021 at 9:07 am

I have a wormery. I have recently bought a wormery rescue kit as my original ones must have died/escaped. You have reminded me, I must give them some worm treats! I have recently bought a hot composter which I haven’t installed yet. I have several standard composters but they don’t do too well. But it does keep stuff out of landfill/incinerator.

• DIY 21st January 2021 at 12:34 pm

Like Lindsay we have invested in a home made wormery but it is early days for us to see the benefits yet though we think many did a runner the first night! They are eating their way through tree leaves and survived many nights of hard frost. Fingers crossed we will get them through and into spring

• lindsay 22nd January 2021 at 8:01 am

Mine tried to do a runner. I was finding them hiding under everything on the ground on day 2. I was feeding them good stuff too!! Interesting point to freeze veg scraps. Makes good sense though.

• Jacy2020 22nd January 2021 at 1:55 pm

Hi are you feeding veg scraps, egg shells ground up. You can liquidise the kitchen scraps as it starts to decompose quicker. Also mashed cooked potato plain is a food they love.
        Also coffee grounds and filters free from Costa.

• DIY 22nd January 2021 at 2:29 pm

Hadn’t thought of grinding up scraps will now do that for them So good to know the tricks of the trade.

• Jacy2020 21st January 2021 at 1:38 pm

Hi just to let you know you can pickup coffee grounds free from Costa, freeze your veg scraps then feed your verms. Freezing starts the brake down process also adds moisture to your worm bin.
      Lots of videos on YouTube.
      I also breed Dendrobena worms for live feed for my Axolotls. Lovely to hear from you, please keep in touch.

• DIY 22nd January 2021 at 8:38 am

Thank you for the tip of freezing veg scraps. How long have you been breeding worms and is it easy to do?

• Jacy2020 22nd January 2021 at 1:45 pm

Hi, about six months as I was finding it expensive to purchase worms to feed my Axolotls.
        If you make your own wormery, it’s easy to move them into garage when it’s winter.

• DIY 22nd January 2021 at 2:22 pm

Not our garage as can hardly get small car in 😂. We have kept ours outside bur wrapped them in insulation all around. So far so good. Many nights of hard frost and a few inches of snow too but maybe next winter get them into garage after a big clear out.
          We have too much junk! What on earth is an Aoxolotis?

• Deleted User 22nd January 2021 at 1:19 pm

I’ve tried this a couple of times in the past but failed. I’ve been in contact with a gentleman in Newburgh, and he has a FB page so easy to find him. He sells start up packs from a very modest sub £20. I am intending making up a couple of units when the weather warms up. He suggested that whilst they manage in the cold they are not keen on freezing temps.

• Jacy2020 22nd January 2021 at 1:48 pm

Hi can you give me the contact on FB please.
        I used to keep bees as well. Goog luck with your wormery, it’s not hard to do. Jacy

• DIY 22nd January 2021 at 2:24 pm

Will take note of that. We are keeping close eye on them and they have several layers around there container and on top to take brunt of weather.

• Deleted User 22nd January 2021 at 4:10 pm
    • Franfoy 25th January 2021 at 1:22 pm

That sounds interesting
      I am a Station adopter and we tend the flowers and shrubs on the platforms and the soil is pretty poor so looking for natural ways to improve

Add