Home Forums Style & Beauty Hi Can anyone recommend good face, under eye or ne...

Christine Twigg Posted 11 months ago
Hi Can anyone recommend good face, under eye or neck creams for 50+ skin? I’m especially interested in ones containing retinol but let me know of any that may have impressed you and why. I am sure I am not the only one who would like to know!
4 likes & 70 replies
    • Estrella515 16th January 2021 at 9:33 am

Hi Christine..I myself don’t like anything too aggressive like retinol or any acid..I prefer to use oils and moisturizer on top..for mature skins rosehip oil which really good for treating pigmentation and dehydration, also jojoba and argan oil, I also like Nuori supreme moisture mask..lately I have started to use a gua-sha tool which is amazing for increasing circulation and giving a mini lift! Check two YouTube ladies who give tutorials on that and also offer great skin advice… one is Gothamista and the other is Lanshin

• Marianne 16th January 2021 at 9:53 am

Hi Christine. I love skincare. I’ve been using La Roche Posay Redermic R anti-ageing anti wrinkle eye cream. My first retinol product so not sure what to expect. It’s brilliant and I do recommend it. I use every night and in 2 months I can see it works. Also bought the same for face and a Vichy one for neck but not tried it yet. The eye cream is £27.00 at Boots but my one cost £12.50. They do a lot of promotions and I always compare prices on Boots, feel unique.com and Amazon. Will let you know about the face and neck ones when I start. But as with any retinol, make sure you use sunscreen everyday. My one is Anthelios spf 50, again from La Roche Posay. Hope this helps

• Christine Twigg 17th January 2021 at 12:37 am

Yes, it has certainly helped and I always wear sunscreen and check out Boots offers especially as I have an Advantage card too. I may go for a higher SPF factor like you though as my skin is getting older.

• Leah 16th January 2021 at 3:08 pm

Superdrug do a retinol range which I have tried and liked. Worth a try

• Christine Twigg 17th January 2021 at 12:38 am

Thanks. Will have to have a look.

• Christine. 13th October 2021 at 12:39 am

I’ve been a martyr to various beauty products over the years. Some costing much more than they’re worth. At the very start of the pandemic i locked mum and me down to protect her and sought online deliveries so i wouldn’t have to go into town. It was then that i discovered Superdrug retinol range. Its cheap, as good as any other and i would recommend it too.

• Larnette 16th January 2021 at 5:57 pm

I use to use La Mer, it is brilliant but seemed to sit on top of skin, so it’s good while you use it but notice when you stop. I have very sensitive skin and have never used retinol or harsh chemicals. I too have freckles.
      Needing something to firm now, I am about to use biolumin-c by Dermalogica. I had a sample prior to lockdown and it seemed to smooth and firm. Their barrier repair is good if skin is damaged.
      Elemis are quite a good mid price range. The collagen marine cream is great. Check out the QVC site for deals.
      Give anything a month or two before you expect to see a difference. Avoid foaming cleansers as well.
      La Mer gel cleanser is great, it’s very expensive though but you only need a tiny amount and lasts about 6 months. La Rock-Possay do a very good cleanser at a fraction of the price.
      I avoid toner. Cleanse, serum/oil, moisturise! Never used anything different on my neck.
      The biggest difference will come from 6-8 glasses of water a day!
      Up your omega. If you eat fish, sardines, mackerel are great!

Oh and by the way, you have amazing hair 😊x

• Christine Twigg 17th January 2021 at 12:31 am

Hi Larnette – what a lovely, unusual name. Thanks for all the ideas and compliment about my hair. At nearly 52 I am starting to lose my natural colour a bit so that’s my next ‘challenge’!

• Larnette 17th January 2021 at 12:42 am

Oh gosh, me too!! I’ve been quite lucky until now but think this past year has taken its toll!
          I’m allergic to most dyes other than one semi in Tony and guy.
          I’ve just tried Daniel fields home colour as it is meant to be very mild. I didn’t have great success but didn’t follow instructions.🙄 Wella have no PPD if you have a wella salon nearby.
          You’ve such a lovely natural colour-i’d find a semi a shade lighter (they won’t lighten your natural colour)just to blend greys

• Christine Twigg 17th January 2021 at 11:46 pm

For now I’m just going to see how it goes as I am getting blondes, golds and greys so I may look quite interesting in a few years! Thanks for the information though.

• Christine Twigg 18th January 2021 at 8:09 pm

Gracias! Will definitely have to have a look at that one!

• Kitty1969 13th April 2021 at 5:06 pm

I use the comfort zone products if I want something pricey, I love their masks. I always use an eye cream, was using comfort zone but like Clinique all about the eyese. Aldi does good skin care, their eye cream is as good as the clinique one and I love their rose oil for nighttime.
      My beauty therapist told me to google face gym and I try to put some of their routines in a few times a week, its really helped.

• Christine Twigg 13th April 2021 at 8:48 pm

Thanks, Kitty. Some good tips there. I have especially not heard of comfort zone but will look them up.

• Working artist 28th April 2021 at 4:46 am

Hi Christine. I have used retinol from the age of 18 (Roc). This has worked very well for me. Retinol does have the reputation of being slightly drying but the wrinkles do keep at bay. Roc now is out of my price range, the prices have increased due to the popularity of retinol. I now use a slightly cheaper one from Neutrogena which I love. My children put me on to the brand ‘The Ordinary’ which had very little effect on my skin(they have a retinol serum) but I always stick to the retinol. Hope that helps!

• Gardener52 28th April 2021 at 6:59 am

I like Clarins hydra something cream in a blue pot it’s really creamy and still feels dewy after a few hours it’s about £36 I think but it lasts a very long time – hope that’s helpful

• Christine Twigg 28th April 2021 at 6:06 pm

Thanks. I’ll have a look into it.

• DoraFlora 29th April 2021 at 9:04 am

There is a very good offer on QVC today for Prai ageless neck and decolatege cream. I have used the day cream and I’d say it has improved my skin. The offer is for a 100ml day cream, night cream with retinol, and a pen to target deeper lines all for £34.95. The 50ml creams are £35 ish each in the shops – check out M&S as they do it- so this is a really fabulous offer and you need to be quick!

On my face I use Look Fabulous Forever day and night cream and my skin is lovely for a 65+ year old! This brand is an online makeup and beauty care range especially for older women.

• Christine Twigg 30th April 2021 at 7:21 am

Sorry Dora I wasn’t quick enough for QVC but will look at the other suggestions. Thank you.

• CazH 30th April 2021 at 7:46 pm

I started using ‘The Ordinary’ in January 2021 on my daughters recommendation. Very impressed as my skin looks very clear,is soft and looks much younger. Need to check their website to get best regime for your skin type though. The big plus is that it is super cheap but I think it works brilliantly!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 12th May 2021 at 8:18 am

Hi Christine I hope you are well. Okay I know I’m a bloke but I think I can contribute to your quest. My partner is an accountant and one of her clients’ daughter has just launched an amazing range of natural and ethical products, it’s a new company , all the ingredients have been individually sourced from around the world, if you get a minute check out http://www.weareserenna.co.uk
      have a great day, best wishes

Steve

• Valley 8th August 2021 at 12:05 pm

Hi Christine,

I’ve just joked the website Beauty Pie, as recommended by a friend, you pay what you want each month and can buy reduced products in the
      month, £5, £10 etc,

Some really good products and a few with Retinol, also make up, I’ve just sent off my first order to see how if is, you can get more expensive skincare at cheaper prices.

So many products out there now isnt there? So hard to choose

Val

• silverlilac1 20th August 2021 at 7:28 am

I was told by someone in the know that skin toners can make your skin too dry and leaving night cream overnight can cause it to grow away too quick so it is too dry

• JensW 16th September 2021 at 5:35 pm

My understanding is that the over the counter retinol is not concentrated enough and that to really get a difference you need prescription skin care from a dermatologist. My understanding is that any over the counter skin care is legally bound not to change the skin – if it does it becomes regulated. I believe a good prescription brand is Obagi.

• Christine Twigg 16th September 2021 at 5:43 pm

Oh! That’s interesting. I’ll have to look at Obagi too.

• Kyoro 27th September 2021 at 2:02 pm

The appearance of wrinkles is more due to genetics than lack of care. You can only sustain a short-term effect with care, but if your genetics are like that, care has little effect on bringing back youthfulness. How sad is that… Maybe you have bad habits? That affects too. Regarding basic care – hydration should always be present. I can’t tell you specific brand, since I’m still looking for one myself. And about your problem with with finding a cream, I use foundation https://www.natashadenona.com/ it doesn’t roll off by the end of the day and my makeup always looks fresh with it.

• Christine Twigg 27th September 2021 at 8:29 pm

Thank you. Luckily, my genetics aren’t too bad so I want to look after what I have as ‘prevention is better than cure’ as we all know 😊

• Debskidoo Carmarthenshire 27th September 2021 at 2:27 pm

Clinique Body Butter, put it on and leave for 5 mins before make up
      It’s an instant face lift
      Truly, it is,

As far as daily creams and potions, I don’t use any, only SPF 30 every day without fail

• PeaceLily 25th October 2021 at 8:05 pm

I have recent gone back to Estee Lauder Avanced Night Repair and Night Repair Eye Supercharged Complex. Would highly recommend.

• Christine Twigg 25th October 2021 at 8:12 pm

Thanks. I’ll have a look.

• Wills 27th October 2021 at 7:27 pm

If you are considering anti-aging products I would recommend collagen supplements like Kollo or Absolute Collagen; since starting on them I feel there has been a visible improvement in my facial skin & tone.

• Christine Twigg 27th October 2021 at 8:44 pm

Thanks Wills. Is there a certain brand you use?

• Wills 28th October 2021 at 1:05 pm

I’ve been trying both Kollo and Absolute Collagen – not noticed a difference but I find Kollo tastes a bit better.

• Ambergris 27th October 2021 at 9:56 pm

Hi Christine: If you tune into QVC beauty channel they have tons of ideas!
      I like Judith Williams for her retinol products!

• Sham 27th October 2021 at 10:01 pm

I am 50yrs and use Aloe Vera clear gel before going to bed everyday. It protects the elasticity of the skin

• Hainsybabes 28th October 2021 at 7:18 am

Hi Christine, if you’re going to start using retinol go easy as there may be products that are too strong for your skin. I tried prescription creams and no matter how gentle I took it always ended up red and peeling. Olay retinol 24 is a good one, they do a serum and night cream (I can’t use them together again too strong for my skin). The one I’m using at the moment is the Boots No7 retinol serum, it’s made a big difference to my 58 year old skin and as long as I moisturise on top, doesn’t irritate. Good luck finding the one that’s right for you. Lisa.

• Brighton Belle 28th October 2021 at 2:13 pm

I use Avon Anew Eye cream/above eye gel in small pot find very good as some eye creams can give you puffy eyes if too rich

• bostavan 29th October 2021 at 9:04 am

I think you can try the anti-aging line from SHISEIDO. They have some of the most concentrated serums, so they are incredibly effective. Also, in order to look younger, you have to apply your makeup properly as well. That is, choose those products that visually have a rejuvenating effect on your makeup as well. There are a few tricks that I use for myself. So, instead of the usual eyebrow microblading, I started using jonteblu eyebrow pencil https://jonteblu.com/collections/eyebrow/products/jonteblu-automatic-eyebrow-pencil Instead of tattooing arrows, I use light pearlescent shadows. It creates a visual freshness to the look.

Add