Home Forums Local Groups England Kent Hi all, just joined. I live with my wife in north...

Colin in Kent Posted 1 year ago
Hi all, just joined. I live with my wife in north Kent, just on the fringes of Bromley, but like nothing better than getting out into the countryside when time (and the rules) permit. I love Kent in all its moods and colours.
3 likes & 16 replies
    • Marica 9th February 2021 at 11:45 am

Hi Colin, nice to find some locals on here ! I am Sidcup, and used to live at Bickley and many years ago, Shortlands. Bromley and Bexley are ideal areas for getting to London and also for seeing all of beautiful Kent

• Colin in Kent 9th February 2021 at 2:23 pm

I couldn’t agree more! Grew up in Bromley, we’re St Paul’s Cray now, handy for getting into London (though I don’t miss commuting one little bit), and really just five minutes drive from the country. Plus Scadbury Park, of course, great for daily walks. I also love history and there’s so much within easy travelling distance.

• Marica 9th February 2021 at 5:23 pm

I was in Scadbury with a friend about 10 days ago and nearly sank in the mud! I had underrated how bad it was after the rain, but fun there anyway. WE are so lucky with so many of the parks here , I am not far from Avery Hill either

• Colin in Kent 9th February 2021 at 10:26 pm

Yes, went last week and VERY glad I wore my wellies. The area by the fields with the horses in were practically underwater! Might venture out again now I have a few days off work, trying not to let the freezing weather keep me stuck indoors!

• Marica 10th February 2021 at 1:59 pm

Yes, that is the bit I got stuck in!! It is a lot more hilly with dips and troughs than I remembered in the dry weather

• Colin in Kent 10th February 2021 at 2:27 pm

Slightest bit of rain and it turns into a quagmire. It is very hilly there, but a wonderful walk nevertheless.

• Marica 10th February 2021 at 4:06 pm

Agree and I think I have only experienced part of the park. Once the weather is better , I hope to follow (with some guidance of some people who know where they are or a map!) some other parts of the park as it is huge and i think goes over towards Orpington direction

• Colin in Kent 10th February 2021 at 4:55 pm

It is a fair size, but if you stick to the main circuit you can’t go far wrong. I have only managed to get lost on a couple of occasions 🙂 once when I found a fallen tree completely blocking the path, and thought a detour would be fairly easy. There’s a large farm inside the park which is private property, and I ended up scrambling through the woods until I came out on that, and managed to find my way back to the public area. My favourite place is the ruined manor, and I’ve done the open day there a couple of times. So much history.

• Marica 10th February 2021 at 5:34 pm

Yes, I know the ruin , an amazing place , but I did not know you could actually have an open day there . Is this through the council?

• Colin in Kent 10th February 2021 at 5:43 pm

It’s the ‘Open House Weekend’ that is held every September (I think) across London and the SE. Lots of places that are normally closed to the public have guided tours on for Saturday and Sunday. The manor has a lot of interesting displays, and volunteers from the group that manage it, the Orpington and District Archaeology Society, and you can also get at parts round the back that you can’t normally see from the path. I found it fascinating!

• Marica 10th February 2021 at 6:55 pm

Thanks Colin. I will investigate that, I know a couple of friends of mine that may well be interested in this

• Colin in Kent 10th February 2021 at 7:04 pm

Well worth looking out for!

• Jancie 9th February 2021 at 6:29 pm

Hi Colin
      I’m from Kent also..
      Welcome xx

• Colin in Kent 26th February 2021 at 5:45 pm

I’m not sure I replied properly to this – I was still getting to grips with the site! Thank you, it’s certainly an interesting place 🙂

• Autumnalwalksara 25th February 2021 at 7:43 pm

A friend of mine lives in sidcup. I live in Derbyshire and love walking most days. It’s kept me sane during the restrictions.

• Colin in Kent 25th February 2021 at 7:50 pm

Yes, Sidcup is very close (within walking distance) and indeed we have one of my favourite places between here and there (Scadbury Park) which is where I try – usually unsuccessfully – for a daily walk. Derbyshire must be a wonderful place to live.

Add