Home Forums Book Club Hello. Just joined. What’s everyone reading?

Add comment

• Hello. Just joined. What’s everyone reading?

I want to diversify my reading and stop clinging to my comfort zone of Bill Bryson, Paul Theroux et al.  So my current favourite genres are travel and humour…SUPRISE! I need to try other areas of literature.  So hoping this will offer inspiration to go forwards and prosper (quite literally, in the most literal sense) I’m going to stop now as I am wandering into the waffle zone.

Posted by bessiebuncounter
Viewing 16 reply threads
    • Reply by Honeybee1

My favourite authors are Sidney Sheldon and Jeffrey Archer, my favourite book of all time ‘Kane and Abel’. Does anyone know of an author who writes in a similar vein to Sudney Sheldon.

• Reply by janedefrancesco

I love a thriller/ murder mystery and also love history

the shard lake Series by c j Samson are Amazing
      also you can’t beat jack reacher booked by lee child’s

• Reply by mandyw

I was in a similar rut. Steven King and Dean Koonz being my go to authors but shortly after I joined the Rest Less community the was an article about ’50 books you must read before you die’. I am now on my 5th book from that list-The Handmaids Tale and I am thoughroly enjoying my reading.

• Reply by Jill08

Hi, I’m Jill and recently started The Handmaid’s Tale (recommended by my son’s girlfriend) and couldn’t get to grips with it🙁. Would you recommend going back and having another bash at it?

• Reply by mandyw

To be honest I watched the series first which gave me an understanding of the book. I read the book to fill out the story so it’s difficult to say if you should try again. I tend to give up on books if I don’t get into them straight away. I Vann recommend a book that I found enthralling, The Book Thief by Markus Zuskas…it made me cry but so well written

• Reply by bessiebuncounter

Hello Mandy

That’s a great idea.  I have, since posting that enquiry spread my wings a bit.  Now reading Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.

1. Roz
    • Reply by Mia

Hi I’m Mia I love crime physiological thrillers Reading Blake pierce serious but as long as it’s not a girly book, I’m happy to try most things

• Reply by lounic50

Hi, i have bits and bobs of most genres as i worked in a library. currently i like crime and have just finished Elly Griffiths – Ruth Galloway series and am working through Kate Ellis- Wesley Peterson series and Anne Cleeves – Shetland series. i use fantasticfiction.co.uk which is fab for checking authors work and whats new out.

• Reply by PhilB

I adore Elly Griffiths work and am update to date with the Dr Ruth series, and have just finished the postscript murders, which was another excellent read.

• Reply by lizanne_19

I have just finished the Woman in the Window, amazing read and twists! Also The other Half of Augusta Hope, Pretty Baby – by Mary Kubica, am reading about two books a week to help travelling to work more pleasurable! Presently reading The Shape of Lies..

• Reply by Carolynjayne

Linwood Barclay, James Patterson, Martina Cole and one that sticks to mind is Shadow in the Wind (not sure of the author), The Teacher was recommended to me in the salon the other day. Tattooist of Auschwitz is a great read!

• Reply by Explorer

Dean Koontz – Life Expectancy.

• Reply by lizanne_19

I am reading Right Behind You by Rachel Abbott, started it yesterday and struggling to put it down!

• Reply by Kathy Smith

Just finished ‘The Salt Path’ Raynor Winn – not many books I recommend everyone should read but this is one. Inspirational, thought provoking, generous of heart and reminded me that all you need is love to survive. A beautiful real story.

• Reply by lizanne_19

Have just ordered Salt Path – so looking forward to reading that also, as well as Where the Crawdads Sing – choices from local Book Group.. always good to have other peoples input..

• Reply by jsaskew5

Read ‘Fierce Invalids Back From Hot Climates’ by Tom Robins. This Other Eden by Ben Elton

• Reply by Richard

T V choice

• Reply by sally.graham52

Hi Richard how’s it going?

• Reply by sara.graham6060

Hi, my reading tastes are rather eclectic anything from horror to the classics. I agree with some of the recommendations I love The Lord of the Rings, The Shining and To Kill a Mockingbird. If it’s got words I’ll give it a go. I lucky dipped a new author, Barbara Erskine, so if you like ghost stories which capture past encounters surrounding the modern area then give her a go. Let me know what you think.

• Reply by Jonathan F

Hi, I’m really into historical fiction at the moment, and reading the Saxon Stories series by Bernard Cornwell (also known as the Last Kingdom, currently on Netflix). Set in the ninth and tenth centuries, the back story is how England was formed from the four kingdoms of Wessex, Mercia, Northumberland and East Anglia told from the perspective of a fictional character who is part Dane, part Saxon. I’m on book 11 of the 12 book series and a little bit sad that it’s about to end, so I’ll be looking for another similar series soon!

• Reply by melayahm

Have you read Cornwell’s Winter King trilogy? Only one of his I’ve read, as I love the Arthurian myth. Told from a different point of view and Very different take on the  characters!

• Reply by mark-e-mark

These sound great, I’ve not read any Bernard Cornwell but I’ve had them recommended a few times – maybe time to give them a go. If you’re enjoy entertaining books based on historical characters – I enjoyed Conn Iggulden’s “Emperor” series, which follows Julius Cesar from child to… well, Cesar! Naturally a lot of the details about his life are unknown, so it’s not 100% historically accurate as it simply can’t be. However, there are enough real characters and events to make it fascinating and to be transported back to those times. Which I’d much prefer to do in a book vs real life time travel to that more brutal world!

• Reply by pusukala

I absolutely love anything Bernard Cornwell writes. He’s really got the knack of creating credible characters you care about and weaving a tale. Although I’ve seen these books in the TV version (a bit like the Sharpe novels), I haven’t got around to reading them in book form yet. They are a treat I still have in the treasure chest of books on my To Read list! I’ve read his King Arthur/Merlin series, though – but I might have missed one somewhere in there…

• Reply by janieshep

Jonathan

i am absolutely hooked on this series too ! As a lover of historical fiction it is a great tale to see how just over 1,000 years ago , life was so primitive but formed the foundations of our modern world

also no psychological police drama -just do or die – amazingly restful really !

• Reply by janieshep

I soo agree Jonathan  with that about the lack of psychological stress and drama …and how surprisingly relaxing even therapeutic  is ‘do – or die ‘!

• Reply by mfasr61

Hi, my fave author is Stephen King, and I have read all of his -thriller, horror, psycho, mystery stuff being my fave genre. Recently discovered John Connelly who may be lining up to be my next fave. Having said all that, my all time fave book is When rabbit howls – Truddi Chase, a very disturbing autobiography dealing with dissociative identity disorder, I have had the book donkeys years and read three times. Sounds heavy, but a seriously good read.

Viewing 16 reply threads