Home Forums Arts & Culture Hello….I’m new here but wanted to say...

djcourt Posted 2 years ago
Hello….I’m new here but wanted to say thanks for having me! I’m a sculptor in papier mache….something I took up following early retirement.

I have always worked in the arts, but it wasn’t until my late 50s that I discovered my real passion in life…sculpting. I once worked for an inspirational, energetic, spirited woman who was in her late 70s. She taught me that age is just a number and that it certainly shouldn’t stop you doing whatever you want to do. She had founded a successful charity and taken up sky diving at the age of 54 and was still jumping out of planes as she approached 80. I always thought that starting something new in your 50s was unlikely, but it happened to her and it happened to me.  I’m 61 now. I sell my work all over the world and spend my days in my studio doing what I love. For me, life began properly at 56.

17 likes & 27 replies
    • Mitou 23rd October 2020 at 7:39 am

Welcome to ‘us’

Where are you based? And are you female or male?

I am slightly older than you but ‘full of beans’ and find life super exciting still. I paint both in oils and in acrylics. I attend art classes on fri and sat in sw London. Would be fun to continue chatting.

• Franny 28th October 2020 at 3:55 pm

Please can you post some pics of papier mache sculptures?  I’m fascinated!  My only experience of papier mache was at school many decades ago, when we covered inflated balloons with torn strips of newspaper dipped in sloppy glue 😮

• Charlotte 29th October 2020 at 8:38 am

Hi, me too. Was a driving instructor and retired early due to ill health. I sculpt in clay and paint. Have worked with latex too for a degree that I gained in art at 51. Would love to see some of your work. 😀😀

• Suzanara 19th November 2020 at 12:17 pm

Oooh I love paper mache, I like to make shrines out of old packaging and til receipts, not met a fellow Paper macheist for ages!! Love your work!

• Deleted User 28th November 2020 at 12:31 pm

Hi and welcome, would love to see some of your work it sounds intriguing

• Sim 29th November 2020 at 9:50 am

Fantastic! I’m 51 and changed direction into glass, specifically warm work. My kiln arrived this week so hopefully it’ll be onward and upward in the next few weeks. I love your ‘life story’ looking forward to hopefully following a similar path!

• Figdom 22nd February 2021 at 10:37 pm

WONDERFULLY talented! Have you considered making family collections – would be brilliant 80th birthday, wedding anniversary, new baby gifts, etc.!

• djcourt 23rd February 2021 at 7:53 am

Not specifically….but I’m often asked to sculpt family members for ‘significant’ birthdays.

Add