Home Forums Gardening Hello. Help I’ve got a huge problem!! I have bam...

Barbara S Posted 10 months ago
Hello. Help I’ve got a huge problem!! I have bamboo roots coming into my garden from my neighbours garden. So far this year alone I’ve had at least 150 shoots popping up
2 likes & 15 replies
    • Fluffy 14th August 2021 at 4:04 pm

you can make underpants out of bamboo , you could start a cottage industry ! lol

• Deleted User 14th August 2021 at 6:20 pm

How about snipping some and growing them in pots to sell on car boots?

• SelsdonLion 14th August 2021 at 7:31 pm

You’d need to dig out all the roots on your side and then have a physical barrier underneath the fence to stop it coming through from your neighbour’s garden again. Not an easy task. I don’t envy you. Good luck!

• Forestbather 15th August 2021 at 10:30 am

Burn it. Lol!! Mind you, at least it’s not Pampas or you might get knocks on the door meant for them. Lol.

• Chunky Buster 15th August 2021 at 11:34 am

Have you had a word with the neighbour? If that fails get someone in to concrete over the area!

• Deleted User 15th August 2021 at 11:44 am

We’re just trying to remove a patch of bamboo from our garden, it’s a nightmare! Rhizomes go a long way underground, as far as 30ft. You need to talk to your neighbours as it is their responsibility to keep it from spreading into your garden. If they won’t put in some sort of barrier on their side you will need to do that on your side and also use a strong weed killer on the rhizomes. Don’t ignore it though as it can damage foundations etc.

• Guy 15th August 2021 at 1:27 pm

This is why it is recommended you grow your plat inside a bottomless bucket. If you have an old sheet of corrugated iron sheeting dig down the width of the sheet then infill leaving the top 6 inches above the ground. This will stop the invasion. it worked in Malaya for me.

• Gailp 15th August 2021 at 4:38 pm

I had bamboo In my garden as I loved it, however I then got a new neighbour, with 2 cats , and for some reason they chose to use my garden as a toilet, particularly the corner, between my bamboo and my fern collection – and guess what, the bamboo and the ferns were killed off completely by those 2 cats. So if you have a cat, encourage it to pee on the bamboo!!

• Barbara S 15th August 2021 at 6:14 pm

Anyone got a cat I can borrow

• Deleted User 1st September 2021 at 7:15 am

Did you get anywhere with this?

Add