Home Forums Jobs & Careers Hello from a 66 year young guy whose future is unc...

stantini Posted 2 years ago
Hello from a 66 year young guy whose future is uncertain

Hello to everyone.

My name is Tony,  I am a young 66, I Iive in Birmingham,  I work in the car manufacturing trade as a manual worker ,  and the future is looking uncertain.  I am on furlough, and unlikely to be resuming work until August at the least.

I am going to start looking for other work as there seems to be no clarity about whether my job is secure.  I do worry, and get stressed, and this is causing a lot of arguing with my wife.

I would love to work in a different environment, eg: I enjoy paper work, computer work etc: even though I have no particular skills with computers.  I enjoy meeting people and trying something new.

The trouble is, will any company take on a guy who is 66, and give him a chance to train?  I even think that retail work, whatever, would be an option also.

I am okay with figures and English, but do not hold any qualifications.

Thank you for reading this, and I want to send my best wishes to everyone.

Tony.

4 likes & 9 replies
    • iankavanagh 30th May 2020 at 2:20 pm

Hi Tony, just a tip – you are not a man of 66 years old – you are a man with X years of experience! This is the asset that any prospective employer is interested in. You and I grew up in a world where “elderly” workers were cast aside when getting to a certain age but many organisations (especially in the public and third sectors) are much more enlightened these days. One practical thing you might want to do is volunteer while you are furloughed. This will enable you to be active (which looks great on a CV), learn new skills, extend your network and see what else you may be able to do. There are lots of things, for example, that the NHS are seeking help with. Anyhow, good luck with your search. Ian

• stantini 2nd June 2020 at 9:58 pm

Thank you so much Ian,  you have been very helpful and I appreciate that.

I will look into your suggestions.

Best wishes.

Tony.

• Dots 30th May 2020 at 9:19 pm

Hi Tony, I’m a young lady not long turned 60 and I gave my job up last year (End of Feb)due to stress and working with harassment from 2young black guys and a racist ,sexist bully . I was looking for a new job but without much luck. Now this! I’m scared to work especially as my husband is classed as vulnerable and We’re both not of pensionable age yet , savings rapidly depleting.Don’t know how my mind etc can cope with the situation on going. I think relaxation of lockdown is happening too soon.

• Stephen 31st May 2020 at 8:29 am

Hi Tony .

I too am in the same position as you , have tried looking for work ,but because you are of a “certain age” people / companies do not really want to know ,but keep looking , and stay positive , something will turn up i am sure .good luck to you .

• stantini 2nd June 2020 at 9:55 pm

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your reply and words of wisdom.  I will follow your advice.

Thank you and best wishes

Tony.

• Tonyh 21st March 2021 at 11:53 am

Tony

Trying to get work at 61 is very difficult, do not give up. At our age we have a lot of skills , experience and wisdom , we will of value to some organisation

• spooky 22nd March 2021 at 12:48 am

I feel your pain – i am in a zero hour job but on furlong at present – been looking for other work for the past 3 years with a steady wage – i am 62 and had no luck despite having at least 40 years of work experience , excellent references and a sparkling C.V but still employers don`t want to know – older people like us are often much more reliable , better at dealing with problems and difficult customers and more proactive and are not slaves to the mobile phone ! Most employers are looking for youngsters because they have more knowledge on the computer – they would not be able to use their brains though ! sometimes i get quite depressed about as i feel so useless to the world now – i still got a lot to give but apart from voluntary work which does not pay the bills but might do when i retired there is only hope .

• Deleted User 23rd March 2021 at 1:17 pm

I retired last year as turned 66 in October, so I now get my pension, but I still need to find a few hours a week to top pension up, as have rent and bills to pay, which pension covers, but not much left over. Then there is normal living to come out if that.

• stantini 26th March 2021 at 8:49 pm

Hi to everyone who replied to me. I apologise for not writing sooner, It has been quite a while since I logged in!
      I came off furlough in July, last year, and since then I have suffered with stress and anxiety, amongst other things. My job is killing me and I want to leave but the wage is good, and it is my only income! I hate these type of predicaments, lol.
      I keep saying to myself, fight on, try to smile, things will work out…..
      So I am saying this to you. Even though we feel it is an endless life of struggle and worry, we are alive!! There are people in worse situations, and though we feel it will get worse for us…maybe it won’t. We have to think positive and enjoy what we have.
      Now that little speech is out the way I shall go back to my favourite era, the sixties, and listen to some music from Woodstock and try to relax!!
      Take care, am thinking about you.

Add