Home Forums Health Hello all, I have just joined and looking forward...

TereG Posted 7 months ago
Hello all, I have just joined and looking forward to being part of this community, I turned 60 last week, bit of a shock as thought I was till 39!!! Anyway, aside many other things, I am volunteering for an online Mental Health Charity, called My Black Dog, we help people who want help online

many people don’t want to speak and chat is a good way to communicate, we are always looking for more volunteers so if anyone out there fancies giving a couple of hours a week just get in touch or search for them on Google, also go online if you need help for yourself too 🙂

1 like & 6 replies
    • Greenlady01 21st October 2021 at 11:18 am

I would be interested in helping. I have relevant qualifications and experience.

• TereG 21st October 2021 at 12:13 pm

Hi Greenlady01 – wrote a reply earlier but for some reason it didn’t show! I answered an advert on Indeed that was asking for volunteers – I wasn’t looking for a paid job but wanted to help and mental health is something I am passionate about. My Black Dog mental health charity is peer to peer so all volunteers have to have experienced mental health issues and when I applied I had to have a chat with the founder, Niki (she’s lovely) and then she put me forward for the role and I went through video training etc, I had to get a DBS – via Gov.uk costing around £25 and then I was ready to go. Each volunteer chooses a shift – 2 or 3 hours per week and then you reply to chats that come in, it is all confidential and we don’t use our real names. It’s been a great experience and the team are fantastic, super interesting people from all kinds of places and interests – you don’t have to be in London, anywhere in the UK is fine. Hope you will take a look!!! 🙂

• goldfish63 21st October 2021 at 11:23 am

What sort of help are they looking for and in what areas?

• TereG 21st October 2021 at 11:32 am

Hi Goldfish – please check the reply I just left on this thread and take a look at the website which should answer all your questions, thanks for reading! 🙂

• goldfish63 21st October 2021 at 11:48 am

I googled it but it comes up with lots of things, do you have a link?

Add