Home Forums General Have you used a DNA test to find out about your he...

• Have you used a DNA test to find out about your heritage?

I have sent sent off a DNA test.  So exciting! Has anyone else done this and found out anything interesting about your heritage?

Posted by christine.twigg
    • Reply by Estrella515

Buenos días Christine! Y gracias! 😊 after asking you I found the Ancestry link and bought the kit….when I have the results I will write here….I am excited! Who knows…I might have some exotic blood in my veins, I hope not squirrel though lol

• Reply by Estrella515

I would love to have a DNA test, which web have you had yours done? As far as I know my family is just Spanish but you never know…I want to know my ancestors

• Reply by christine.twigg

Buenos Dias! I have used MyHeritage DNA but Ancestry.com have also been doing an offer at the moment so you should maybe have a look!

• Reply by sylvibear

Yes I have, my son got me the kit last christmas and I completed it and sent it off. It was a bit disappointing but that was really not a problem with the kit but my heritage was not really that exciting. I was about 75% English, small amount of Irish and Scottish leaving about 2% of heritage from western Europe. No reports of anybody famous.

Maybe it’s because the famous people haven’t registered yet! 😉 I’m still waiting for my results but don’t expect there to be anything too exciting but you never know!

• Reply by Troy

I have indeed, I’m a mix of …….Anglo Saxon,  Celtic,  Roman,  eastern Europe,  and weirdly, squirrel,  who knew 🙂

Fantabulous! I hope my results will just be as interesting 😉

• Reply by Kay61

I bought it for my partner as it was half price I got my done too – only 10% English. Mostly Irish, which was not a surprise, but also Scottish. I have about 500 people on the family tree on my mother’s side and Ancestry had many of them as matches. Shows how accurate it is

Wow! That’s good. My parents were from Austria and Ukraine and I don’t think they are as interested or have the records like in the UK but it would be great to have some matches somewhere! Still waiting for my results.

• Reply by Janestra

Both my husband and I have our DNA results from Ancestry. We both also use Ancestry to hold our family trees. It is fascinating, I found a huge amount of ancestors in Australia and one of them came to visit us when they were in England. I have found another member of the family in Canada.
      The more people who get their DNA done the more family members we can all find!

We gave each other a DNA test for Christmas one year!

Would definitely recommend!

• Reply by PennyMcb

Hi there. I have thought about doing the DNA test as although I have done a lot on Ancestry, all my grandparents on both side immigrated from UK and Scotland to Rhodesia where I was born. tracking Great Grandparents and cousins here, has been difficult . Your posts are encouraging so maybe I’ll give it a try

Hi Penny Thank you for replying.  I definitely think you should give it a go especially as the DNA tests seems to be on offer and a lot cheaper than they were. Also, the more people that do them the better the data will be.  It’s fascinating that you were born in Rhodesia as I believe there were quite a lot of people emmigrated from the UK.  My family history is also quite mixed with relatives from Austria emmigrated to America and Brazil to find work in the late 1800s, early 1900s.  It will be interesting to see if there are any matches as I think my father may have had a child before he met my mum but no idea where/when as they have now passed away.  Good Luck with your research.

• Reply by skb

My mother never knew her her father was, so by me doing the test and her following, we found out lots of hidden family members as well as her living half siblings. I have pieced together the entire story as far as we can, and even found evidence among my grandfather’s belongings left after he died in 1975.  It has been tough in some ways, because not everyone is ready for this kind of information, but the most rewarding thing I have ever done.  Do it now, while there is still a chance someone might be alive. I used Ancestry.com.

Thanks, that sounds really interesting and must have been great for your mum.  I am still awaiting my results so will see what they tell me when I get them back.  I definitely will follow up as don’t have many relatives left so would be nice to find some new ones!

• Reply by skb

Yes, it was good for my Mom…after a lot of strife and convincing and tears. It took a lot of time to get my matches to answer too, and I had to send lots of photos and what I had for proof, to convince them to react. I’m just saying, it isn’t always straight forward to

• Reply by Daisychain

My daughter did hers on Ancestry and I used both Ancestry and a different site but it escapes me for now. To my daughter’s great surprise she found two half uncles. Her father was an illegitimate war baby and never knew who his father was. We met them and they were lovely, welcoming people.

Via Ancestry a distantly related cousin contacted me and after a lot of research we identified his grandfather. My DNA confirmed my family tree research and I reconnected with one branch of the family.

How fascinating! We looked into my husband’s family tree as he is still trying to find out who his real grandmother could have been as his father was adopted.  We could only get so far and are now waiting for the next census data in 2021 to come out to carry on the research.

• Reply by Daisychain

See if your husband would do his DNA on Ancestry you never know how close you may get. I took out a membership that enables you to look at public trees and request contact with others who keep their trees private. If you would like any help I’m very happy to oblige. Lots of people have helped me in the past when I’ve got stuck. You would have to send a direct message to keep any info private.
          Good luck with your search, I hope your other half is successful in his search

• Reply by Daisychain

Firstly we used Ancestry and it gives you matches ranked in order of closeness. My daughter was very surprised to find her half uncles with up to 50% match of DNA (I think). She just wrote hoping for a positive response which she received. Thus everyone meeting up.

The third cousin of mine was much more problematic. Firstly, I had previously done my tree so knew where my ancestors had originated. We compared our DNA notes to see if we had any people in common. This took lots of labouriously copying matches from my list so my cousin could compare them with his list of DNA matches. We concentrated on matches in common. We then looked at this part of his tree. He had already contacted others, some of whom had given him information. I then researched the names he had and we put together a tree (later confirmed by others who had replied to him). It was like a giant jigsaw puzzle. We were able to narrow down the possible relative to two candidates (brothers) using employment data (census) and some family information from the census, photographs from other relatives. We then made a best guess at the most likely individual and their marital history etc. around the time of WW1. It all made sense given the information available. I had knowledge about conscription, reserve occupations etc. during WW1 having recently studied this historical period. It took ages, loads of emails, tracking down marriages, confirmation by certificates. We feel we have found the most likely person (90% certain) given the DNA links and family info provided by others. Phew.

We still have not found our link but given that his ggg? grandmother had two illegitimate children in the 1860s, living in the same village in Worcestershire as my family we feel this may be where our link lies, although we have no definite proof. None of our other families have no close local or familial links so this is our hypothesis.

• Reply by starlight

Yes,  and it has been the greatest fun linking up to relatives,  already visited a cousin in Sydney and one in Vancouver.  Have found lots in UK and met up with two.   The actual results are, to me, not that important – the best bit was finding cousins.   There have been some amazing stories that have come out of it,  but you cannot be narrow minded.

Hi Sorry for the late reply. That sounds exciting.  How did you find the cousins? From the DNA information or from doing our own family heritage research? Great you have gotten to meet them.  I found some Brazilian cousins years ago who I haven’t been in touch with recently after all the initial excitement and them inviting me over.  I still might put it on my ‘bucket’ list though!

• Reply by starlight

you cannot find much on Ancestry because of the 100 year rule – but when you do your DNA it asks if you want to share results – you then have access to everyone with some sort of match and you can always access it if you have paid for DNA,  you do not need to join Ancestry.   With the DNA match list there is a contact option,  I have contacted some,  and some have contacted me.  There have been some amazing surprises.   It’s a shame that more people don’t register their DNA as there is lots more family out there to find.

• Reply by starlight

I have just seen you did yours with MyHeritage –  have no idea how theirs works – I did mine with Ancestry.com  which is more UK based.

It was advertised by Ancestry.com as my friend told me about it and she has been on there for years.  I am looking forward to my results and did agree to leave it open so would be good if I had any matches.

• Reply by Beaky29

Yes! And it is exciting!

To be fair, I’d done quite a lot of my family tree so I knew where people came from.  So unsurprisingly I am 92% English!  But very proud to be so!

Hi Sorry for the late reply.  I have done quite a bit of family research too as my parents were Ukrainian and Austrian but it was with a late cousin who helped me with the Austrian side. So although I was born here I am sure there will be no English in me which is a shame (especially as I have red hair!).  I expect to see some German and Hungarian but would be interested to see if there is anything else. I am not sure where my red hair comes from.  Does it take a while for the results to come through as I had to send my swabs to the US with MyHeritage? Also, did you take any of the sites up on the offer to build your family tree online as they are offering it. Is there a company you recommend?

• Reply by Beaky29

I wouldn’t rule anything out at this stage…you never know what you might find in your genetic makeup!

I did mine through Ancestry, and I think it took about a month or so.  My tree is held with Ancestry and I have managed to link into other people’s trees

Thanks. Yes it’s quite exciting!  They said it wold take about a month so think I have about 2 weeks to go 🙂

• Reply by KateE

I haven’t done one because it might throw up surprises that I don’t really want to know about.  I have mixed genes anyway because one Grandfather was a Russian Jew and escaped with his family when he was very young and on the other side my Grandmother was Swiss/Italian and came to England when she married.

Hi Kate It seems I have a similar mixed background to you but I do want to know.  My father was Ukrainian and mother Austrian but there are so many things of the ‘war generation’ that I don’t know about.  I may even have a sibling somewhere in Austria as I found a photo of my father when he was very young with a woman and baby and it certainly wasn’t my mum! My parents passed away many moons ago so can’t ask them so will see if science comes up with anything.

• Reply by KateE

My grandfather who came from Russia came to England via South Africa and New York as we were contacted some years ago from someone who was investigating their family history so we have some distant cousins in both places.  My Grandmother who was Swiss/Italian I will probably never find out, as it was my paternal grandmother and I am estranged from my father and we haven’t spoken in over 20 years.

Yes I am estranged from a number if my family and didn’t get on much with my father and he didn’t tell me much as he never trusted us! Anyway, I think I will just have to be happy with whathe I can find out for now.

• Reply by Armstrong

yes I had one 3 years ago , I had to prepare myself for the results , good luck

Thanks for your reply.  Was is a heritage DNA test? Were the results surprising or don’t you want to say?

Add