Home Forums Book Club Have you ever started a book and just cant finish...

Dr Dave 3 weeks ago Book Club
Have you ever started a book and just cant finish it?

I can think of several. Catcher in the Rye and To the Lighthouse would be two. However many times I start them, I never get to the end.

6 likes & 76 replies Share
    • Dr Dave 2nd September 2021 at 1:41 pm

I hav read the LOTR trilogy many times. But the first time I very nearly gave up with the second book. Why so many Elven poems? It was worth the apin though as the third book is awesome.

The films are good, albeit 3 x 3 hours worth so a bit of a marathon.

Hopefully you have found some different clssics that were mroe to your taste.

• Always 2nd September 2021 at 1:51 pm

Harry Potter. Really want to read them but just don’t seem to grab me

• Dr Dave 2nd September 2021 at 1:56 pm

The HP books are OK, but a bit long winded for what they are at times. What do you like genre wise? There are a lot of good crime and suspense novels out there these days. Not sure theyre classics, but usually a good read.

• Dr Dave 2nd September 2021 at 2:26 pm

Have you read Girl on a Train?

• Always 2nd September 2021 at 2:36 pm

Yep and much preferred the book to the film as is usually the case

• Dr Dave 2nd September 2021 at 2:38 pm

yes the fil was good, but the book was better. Have you evr read any Lynwood barclay, Tim Weaver or Jo Nesbo books? Theyre all good.

• Always 2nd September 2021 at 2:50 pm

I will look into those for sure! My latest read was by MM Boulder -My better half. It’s about a placid menopausal woman who turns assassin 😂

• Dr Dave 2nd September 2021 at 2:51 pm

Sounds like a good plot for a book and a film spinoff. Beware of the menopausal woman 🙂

• Deli 2nd September 2021 at 3:12 pm

yup ! – started one recommended by a friend about 2 years ago – a true story about a local little girl who disappeared from beach – great book, and interesting because it is based not far from me – but still reading it – and having to re-read to remember what have previously read n forgotten – need more reading time!!!

• Dr Dave 2nd September 2021 at 3:14 pm

i think i could do with more reading time too.

• Dreamyboy 2nd September 2021 at 5:36 pm

At one time used to read dozens of books and was really proud of reading all through to the end, however bad – then bought ‘Gorky Park’ – the Russian names of the characters totally defeated me, I couldn’t retain them in my memory, had to give up. 😢 I also bought ‘Something Happened’ by Joseph Heller because he wrote my favourite book of all time (Catch – 22) so I decided it may be as good – god it was dire, I gave up halfway.

• barrowwraith 12th September 2021 at 12:07 pm

interesting that you got stuck on ‘Gorky Park’ I got through that OK but Tolstoy & Dostoyevsky & Sholokhov where the characters can have three names; [Family, Public, and Private] no got stuck with that

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 2nd September 2021 at 8:26 pm

Wolf Hall – Hilary Mantel; I really wanted to like it and I love the genre but 50 pages in I couldn’t take any more

• Oo 4th September 2021 at 1:02 am

Oh gosh yes , I tried to read the handmaids tale a few years back got halfway through and stopped , watched it on tv so went back to the book and re-read it in 2 days it was much better than on tv , have since watched every episode to date , a great read 😊

• Dr Dave 4th September 2021 at 1:04 am

It’s good that you could finish it when you revisited it. 😊

• LucasH 5th September 2021 at 9:30 am

I’m watching the handmaids tale on TV now, it’s gripping stuff.
        I’m sure when it came out it was fantasy but now with all the religious fundamentalists around the world, I find it scary.

• Oo 5th September 2021 at 11:47 am

It’s so good and yes your right it is scary how it’s so entwined with the present day , I literally was hooked and watched every episode.. the book is really good too , enjoy .. I can’t wait for another series 😊

• Forget-Me-Not 5th September 2021 at 2:11 pm

Having been an avid reader for many years, I suddenly stopped (I wouldn’t allow myself the time to just sit plus “Life” got in the way). This perplexed and concerned my Daughter who subsequently surprised me with a 6-month book subscription on my Birthday. It has totally got me voraciously reading again. You complete a questionnaire on your interests and hobbies, what you like/don’t like etc and they pair you with a team member who chooses a book a month for you. You have the option to decline any book as they send you a “Teaser” email first. I rejected 2 authors mainly because I had read some of their books previously or the genre was too familiar to me. I have thoroughly enjoyed every book I have received (they have all been new authors to me) with some absolute crackers! “A Suitable Boy” by Vikram Seth went back on the shelf after a dozen pages and any “self-help” book (which I buy with all good intentions) remain unread until I give them away. Maybe I need to read a book on procrastination 🙂

• Diane Harris 5th September 2021 at 2:47 pm

It’s the likes of Dickens and Shakespeare that leave me cold. Can’t abide them. Depressing. I like the more modern classics.

• Vaulsy 7th September 2021 at 11:30 am

For Whome The Bell Tolls. I’ve tried it a few times and can’t seem to get into it at all

• peterjameslittle41 9th September 2021 at 7:51 pm

as a teenager aged 16 i loved catcher in the rye i thought it was the best book i had ever read and throughout my youth i would quote passages from it i thought i was the main character!

• Nelle96 12th September 2021 at 12:09 pm

One Hundred Years of Solitude. I really tried but felt like I’d been trying to read it for a hundred years.

• MacChick 12th September 2021 at 12:22 pm

Yes a book called Philomena . I think it was a tv series too. I just didn’t gel with the style of writing.

• Dr Dave 12th September 2021 at 12:33 pm

I guess that’s the joy of books. There are so many to choose from that if we don’t like it for whatever reason it’s not the end of the world. Just move on to a new book.

• Louise F 12th September 2021 at 12:43 pm

Yes, and I have no qualms whatsoever about putting it down and moving on to a book that speaks to me more – life’s too short to be slogging through a book that you’re not enjoying; there’s so many out there that work better for you 😊

• Dr Dave 12th September 2021 at 12:45 pm

That’s the truth of it. Makes me wonder then why I have a pile of “try again” books. I’m probably too stubborn to be beaten by a book LOL

• Louise F 12th September 2021 at 12:49 pm

Lol Yes! When I was younger I was determined to read everything I started … Then saw the error of my ways when I found books that I really enjoyed and was missing out on 🤣

• Dr Dave 12th September 2021 at 12:50 pm

Well I can always recycle
      Them to the charity shop
      If I need the bookshelf space 😊

• Countrywalker 13th September 2021 at 11:35 pm

It is not often that I don’t finish a book, but that is probably because I don’t challenge myself that much with my reading. I know what sort of things I like and have got better at identifying it! I should probably try more things that are a bit different.

• Kenton 14th September 2021 at 7:00 am

I agree about Catch 22 I’ve had two attempts but decided not to waste any more time with it. The second time was when of my colleagues told it was fantastic. Just goes to show. Same thing with Frankenstein.

• Dr Dave 14th September 2021 at 7:41 am

Frankenstein was good 😊

• LulieJulie 14th September 2021 at 1:10 pm

I read at night on my kindle , so as soon as I’ve completed a book , I start the next .
      At the moment I’m reading A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara , I’m really not enjoying it , I’ve only read 9% , I can’t decide if to continue or not .
      Has anyone else read it & is it worth persevering with , thanks

• Vornojan 14th September 2021 at 2:24 pm

Did Catcher in the Rye as A level, remember it having a profound impact on me. I would try and persevere if possible. Despite my kids all loving all Harry Potter books I just can’t get into them. Love love love all Thomas Hardy. Dorset my home county and can’t wait to see his homes when back down in weeks time. Original dates changed twice since COVID so thrilled to be finally on our way.

• sarahsass 27th September 2021 at 1:51 am

There’s been a few books I have dnf’d. I used to persevere with all books when younger, now I realise life is to short and there are to many books to be read to waste time reading a book your just not enjoying. Don’t feel bad, just do it 📖

• Scaredofspiders 27th September 2021 at 9:24 pm

The Hobbit, I was a pretentious teenager in the 1980’s and it was a ‘must read’. Fell asleep during the film adaptation as well.

• Scaredofspiders 27th September 2021 at 9:29 pm

Alternatively David Niven ‘The moon’s a balloon’ had me laughing so much that my mum came in to check I was ok!

• Scaredofspiders 27th September 2021 at 10:11 pm

I reread it again recently, still loved it!

• Dr Dave 27th September 2021 at 10:13 pm

I should dig it out again sometime and have another read 😊

Add