Home Forums General Have you ever, memorably, been late for something?

Robert K Posted 1 month ago
Have you ever, memorably, been late for something?
7 likes & 26 replies
    • Sue Devon 1st July 2022 at 4:34 pm

My wedding, usually an ‘on time person’ but toilet overflow mechanism broke water pouring out the back of the house just as cars arriving, temp fix using toothbrush – half an hour late, quests wandering what was happening and only 1/2 a photo shoot.

No mobile phone at the time
      😐🤣

• Selsdon 1st July 2022 at 4:41 pm

😂😂

• Staying Alive 1st July 2022 at 4:42 pm

My brother-in-law was late for his wedding four hours also the bride.. guests were just sitting around wondering whether there is going to be a wedding or not.
      Oh they was the wedding reasons why they were late bride was still having her hair done yeah this takes forever, and groom forgot to buy the rings. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️😂

• Linpap 1st July 2022 at 5:53 pm

I’m usually very punctual but remember arriving late at an estate agent’s training seminar (I had been held up on a viewing!) tried to slip in unnoticed via back door but of course no seats so walk of shame to the front muttering sorry various people sniggering a bit and guy running the course said something like thank you Lin you have just demonstrated how arriving late can completely interrupt the flow we were just discussing the importance of punctuality he was a right tyrant think I rolled my eyes at the group who all started laughing uncontrollably tyrant was not amused…

• backofbeyond 1st July 2022 at 6:00 pm

I was once asked by my son if I’d drive a friend of his to Heathrow to catch an early morning plane. I duly turned up at his house at 4.30am, collected him and drove the 45 mins to the airport. The automated check in machine wouldn’t work so he went to the airline’s help desk only to find out he was 24hrs late. The flight was the day before. I drove him back and got home before anyone else in the house had got up.

Arriving late for your wedding is very common – except at registry offices where they’ll just cancel it if you’re not there. At churches I don’t think anyone minds 5, or 10, or even 15 mins, but beyond that the vicars start getting increasingly niggly and often claw some of the time back by cutting out bits of the ceremony in revenge.

The reasons why brides are late are usually down to dodgy logistics (rarely second thoughts) – they haven’t a clue how long things take, but occasionally there’s the odd inspired reason. The bride at one wedding I went to arrived on time but didn’t go into the church for 45 mins. The reason? – she’d forgotten her bouquet. She insisted her father and the chauffeur drive back to the house (20+ mins e/w) to get it while she waited in the church porch (it was raining outside) with her bridesmaids.

She’d arranged a Scots piper to pipe her entry into the church but after a brief skirl when she arrived he was standing around waiting as well. After ten mins she got bored and started asking the piper how you play the pipes. That then progressed to ‘let me have a go’. So for the next 20 mins the congregation (who had no idea why there was a delay) had to experience a beginner’s first attempts at the bagpipes. And very fingernails down a blackboard it was. When the car eventually returned with the bouquet it looked identical to the chief bridesmaid’s one, but no, she ‘couldn’t’ borrow that one, she had to have her own. 😀

• Linpap 1st July 2022 at 6:05 pm

Well what would the chief bridesmaid have carried?!

• backofbeyond 1st July 2022 at 6:12 pm

The ‘lesser’ bridesmaid’s one (that’s what we all thought anyway, who would have got the even lesser’s one. She was only little so no bouquet wouldn’t have looked that strange. And it was only to walk up the aisle anyway as one of the ushers would have gone back for it during the ceremony.

Makes for a good story anyway – “Did I ever tell you about the time I had bagpipe lessons” 🤣

• Always 2nd July 2022 at 6:50 am

Despite my best efforts not to be 🤨 I’m nearly always late for everything. It frustrates me as much as it frustrates everyone else I can assure you lol. My nickname of ‘Always’ not only lends itself to Always (w)right but Always late too!

• HH 2021 2nd July 2022 at 11:49 am

Me too Always, it frustrates me too, but somehow I always seem to be late for everything!
        My friends say, is this normal time or Heather time!?

• Shell69 2nd July 2022 at 8:35 am

I’m always late, unintentionally!

• Tambos58 2nd July 2022 at 9:04 am

Hate being late, ever since a kid always been early.

I did over sleep once when I should have been meeting a date to go to Alton park. There was no second chance. She was to posh for me anyway:)

• notahasbeen 2nd July 2022 at 10:03 am

Same here, I am never late and probably because my parents taught me to be on time.
        Mr nahb though is always late and his parents were also. People don’t seem to change on that.

It’s a quite simple formula. You don’t think about the time you have got to be there you work out what time you need to leave and then add a little extra and keep looking at the time. Should I need to say this ? 👍

• Linpap 2nd July 2022 at 11:06 am

Don’t you like a bit of posh totty Tambos?!

• Moondaisy 2nd July 2022 at 11:30 am

😂😆🤣

• HH 2021 2nd July 2022 at 11:40 am

I’m not exactly known for my time keeping, sadly, not one of my strongest points!

My young daughter at the time had a ‘build a bear ‘ birthday party to go to. I turned up a whole hour and 15 minutes late for it!

Basically was an hour late as I’d misread the invitation, along with my normal 15 minutes lateness on top.

It literally felt like I’d walked in and said here she is, where’s her free Teddy bear then?

I was mortified when I realised, they must of thought I was sooooo rude 😳

My daughter still talks about it now. Definitely more embarrassing for her, cos I left her at the party and went shopping!

Add