Home Forums General Have you, are you going to or would you cross a pi...

Forestbather Posted 2 months ago
Have you, are you going to or would you cross a picket line?

Lots of talk that other unions may strike this year.

What are your experiences of striking, breaking your strike?

If your union strikes, will you scab?

1 like & 17 replies
    • backofbeyond 21st June 2022 at 8:54 am

Never belonged to a union so not an issue I’ve ever had to face.

• Reverend Nick 21st June 2022 at 10:03 am

Would never cross a picket line. Been on a few and it’s interesting to see the people that do cross it, do so with their heads down as if there’s some special message written on the floor. Oddly enough they’re quite happy to take advantage of the pay rise or improved T&Cs. You would think that as they were so determined to come into work, as is their right, they would in similar conscience waiver their right to any benefit resulting from industrial action.
      There are people, of course, who have to remain in work for specific reasons such as safeguarding – and this is understood. I know several people in that position who have donated a day’s wages in support.

• backofbeyond 21st June 2022 at 11:12 am

That’s a point that was put to us quite forcefully when we were given a join the union presentation at the research lab I worked in back in the ’70’s. If we didn’t join but eventually benefitted from improvements the union negotiated for those workplaces that did, could we, in all conscience, take the money etc. Even so, everybody to a man / woman decided not to join.

I suspect that decision was based more on the prevailing social situation in the UK at the time, with the miners, BL, railways etc seemingly on strike constantly and for what seemed like ‘flimsy’ reasons – a power struggle between the unions and the government rather than wage / T&C grievances.

I hear from my postman that they’re being balloted next month for strike action and that almost certainly they’ll go for it.

• Gerard371 21st June 2022 at 11:25 am

Sometimes you have to put the welfare of others before your own interests. Schools, hospitals, police, fire service etc fall into this category.

Alllways remember that when you strike it’s fine if it only affects your employer. But when it affects people trying to get to work, who maybe be on less money then negotiation is the answer.

• Badger56 21st June 2022 at 10:03 pm

Absolutetly, the welfare of others should have parity with your own. But what of the older people only getting the government pittance. Do the unions or TUC consider them, not a bit of it! Come to that do the government/MPs whose inflation proofed pensions we’ve all paid for and pay rises they award themselves consider it?

No they effing don’t!!

Would parliament pass legislation that everyone should have the right to vote on pay rises and pensions for themselves upon the recommendation of their peers , oops apologies, independant commitee ….I suspect not.

From t’interweb –
        For 2021, the median salary for train and tram drivers was £59,189
        The full rate of the new State Pension will be £179.60 per week (in 2021/22) or £9339.20 per annum …

‘Nough said!

• Forestbather 22nd June 2022 at 8:04 am

@Badger56

The drivers are ASLEF as far as I am aware.

For every driver there are multiple cleaners, admin staff, maintenance staff etc on very low salaries.

• Vixster 21st June 2022 at 12:56 pm

I wouldn’t cross a picket line. Unions only strike when it’s necessary and have to follow loads of rules to ensure it’s legal. Their members have to agree to strike so it’s not like the 1980s anymore.
      Did you see in the news that the gov wants to attract more foreign money makers into finance and will therefore loosen any regs around pay, shares, etc. so it’s obviously OK to earn more money if you’re quite well off already………

• gruntfuttock 21st June 2022 at 1:59 pm

Depends on the issue. Real men don’t need no stinkin’ picket lines.

• Deleted User 21st June 2022 at 8:06 pm

I don’t recall striking train staff moaning too much when the Tory government were paying 80% of their fat salaries, mostly sat at home.
      Suspect the nurses on £31k who worked through the pandemic, but struggle to get home tonight are probably not so impressed.

• Forestbather 22nd June 2022 at 8:11 am

@Craig54.

Indeed. I think the nurses’ unions are watching closely ….

• Dee.D 22nd June 2022 at 3:19 pm

No and nurses very often do extra work for no extra pay and may even find they don’t get a paid lunch break but are still told they should have a break and in all liklihood don’t get 1 but still have an hours pay docked!!!!!!!!

• Caroline of Smoggy land 22nd June 2022 at 8:40 am

Solidarity with #RMT union. I took strike action many times and I hope I am never forced to cross a picket line. My Dad set me an example in November 1977 – mortgage, wife, 3 kids, run up to Christmas. Fire Brigade Union called their members out, so himself and his brother walked out, I believe it was 9 weeks and they’d just entered the 10th week when an agreement was reached. Years later, I asked him if he would still make the same decision and he said that as they won in the end – yes. His brother on the other hand, was of the opinion that it should have been a rolling strike – first one part of the country and then another.

• Paul of Southampton 22nd June 2022 at 11:50 am

Hopefully everyone will strike and get a sensible pay rise, not the scraps this incompetent wasteful useless Govt meagerly offers

• Dorothea 22nd June 2022 at 1:53 pm

The country is getting over a very difficult couple of years with Covid on the go. The let’s pull together spirit seems to have disintegrated rapidly. I want to say that I have sympathy for people who feel they aren’t getting a fair deal, but I can’t
      The pandemic affected lots of people and businesses financially.. I lost my job at the start of the oandemic, and then had health issues. Without initially mysavings and family support, I dread to think how I would have ended up.

I’ve just started work again which is a challenge as my working world is very different, and all I read about is division and bitterness and strikes.

I don’t think that really anyone got through the pandemic completely unscathed.

Now is the time to get the country working again and open for business, not to cripple it as one group or another looks after their own interests.

• Dee.D 22nd June 2022 at 3:23 pm

Pay rises see tax rises, who is the winner and who is the looser???
      Plus while Joe Bloggs is on strike the union reps who earn a fortune still get paid as yourselves the same questions

• GingerL 22nd June 2022 at 11:19 pm

I’m lucky I haven’t been in that position. But I have a question, which I don’t know the answer to………….the rail system has fewer people using it since the pandemic. Costs other than wages are increasing. So who pays for the extra money the unions are asking for?
      When we have the same situation across other businesses in the UK, the increase in wage costs will cause further price rises, hence further inflation. How do we break the cycle?

• SteveM57 23rd June 2022 at 8:29 am

I was a union man all my working life. Never crossed a picket line, never would. Voted for industrial action when I felt it was necessary.

Add