Home Forums Travel Has anyone started to plan or book travel this yea...

Christine Twigg Posted 1 year ago
Has anyone started to plan or book travel this year?

I have noticed more TV travel adverts recently but has anyone actually booked a holiday for 2021 or even 2022? Where do you plan to go?

7 likes & 104 replies
    • Bastmanya Moonblood 29th April 2021 at 8:29 pm

Yes book a flight two weeks ago for June was cancelled this morning!

• Pamela Price 29th April 2021 at 9:56 pm

Planning to cruise the Mekong Delta with Noble Caledonian in November this year. Fingers crossed it will happen.

• Christine Twigg 30th April 2021 at 7:13 am

Good luck 🙂

• Cerie 7th June 2021 at 11:32 am

I have a month in Vietnam and Cambodia booked 4th November, my fingers are crossed too, it’s taken a fair bit of planning as we are travelling from Hanoi, Halong, Hoi An, Ho Chi Min, up the Mekong to Phnom Penh then Angkor Wat followed by 5 days lying on a beach in Pho Quoc, think we may need that at the end.

• Ruthieb 29th April 2021 at 11:06 pm

We have booked flights to Croatia for September and keeping our fingers crossed. Will book accommodation when we know for sure that we are able to go.

• MagOireachtaigh 11th May 2021 at 7:51 pm

It’s an amazing place. We’ve been twice. The first time we were based a few miles south of Dubrovnik. We were able to use a taxi, bus or boat taxi from our base in Mlini.
        With hindsight it was a really good base.
        We went to Dubrovnik via boat taxi (reasonable price) travelling north which was amazing, but predictably very busy. (maybe not as much this year)
        We also used the boat taxi to go a short way south to Cavtat, which was more relaxed and very nice indeed.
        The hotel where we were based was massive (typical of the old former Yugoslav hotels) Around the bay we discovered another former Yogoslav hotel in ruins & bombed extensively during the troubles. What was strange was that the locals still used the very nice beach!

The following year went initially in Split with its staggering architecture. Can you imagine having a beer or two, in a pub which the Romans would have used!
        We travelled on the local bus to Omis which was charming & more relaxed & then Trogir which was a mini Dubrovnik & closer to the airport for our return trip.
        Hope to explore more in this region in the years to come.

• Cerie 7th June 2021 at 11:33 am

I have a good contact for villas in Croatia, let me know if you are interested nearer the time

• FarmerRic 30th April 2021 at 5:11 am

I was meant to go on Safari to Kenya last August, it was obviously canceled and moved to this August and I have just booked the flights and hotels so I am living in hope that it will go ahead this year as I am not sure I will be able to go next year if it is canceled again

• Teresa M 30th April 2021 at 7:40 am

Hi have booked trip to Florida in September for a family wedding now just hoping I’ll be able to make it

• Teresa M 30th April 2021 at 7:42 am

Thank you I hope so but will just wait and see. It seems so long without a holiday now I can’t wait to be able to go away. How about you have you anything planned ?

• Trampus 30th April 2021 at 8:46 am

Have a few long weekends planned and a wek in Devon in May. All UK based, definitely won’t be getting on a plane this year.

• Vonny52 30th April 2021 at 10:44 am

Hello Christine. Before Covid-19 came along we had already booked a trip with Hurtigruten for 2022, because we are past customers and they were offering a good deal. So hopefully in early March 2022 we shall be travelling to Antarctica, via Buenos Aires!

• Sonny1234 30th April 2021 at 1:36 pm

I had booked to go to a Greek Island for June last year (I booked before anybody even thought of a lockdown) obviously I didn’t get to go so I rearranged it for this July & it still looks a bit dicey now, will see what happens , I have missed my holidays but have to do what is best so if I have to rearrange again I shall do, its not a great situation but I have stayed safe & like every body else bee affected to the point of misery but I have my health & look forward to when I can get on that beach.

• Christine Twigg 1st May 2021 at 7:41 pm

What a good attitude to have and appreciate your gratitude for your health. Im not going anywhere except travelling over the Pennines to Yorkshire on days out! Hope you get on a beach soon enough.

• Sonny1234 1st May 2021 at 7:57 pm

Make sure you visit York , & Harrogate is a lovely place too , I tend to stay overnight in York !! I prefer to holiday abroad so hopefully it will be soon .

• CT 20th May 2021 at 10:26 am

I went to Harrogate with a friend in between lockdowns last year and had a really nice stay. We had to mask up in the public areas of the hotel, but obviously not in the room or when in the restaurant and bar sat at a table. Took the train to Knaresborough and had a bit of a wander around. Lovely afternoon tea at Betty’s and dinner at The Ivy. It was a really nice break. I’d been to York a few times, but it was my first time in Harrogate and liked it a lot.

• MagOireachtaigh 30th April 2021 at 11:15 pm

I think some of the contribution here highlight that it’s not likely to be possible or practical to go abroad this year.

It is also strikingly noticeable that the cost of taking a holiday in the UK has rocketed & I can only conclude that this is a result of the loss of revenue to the industry much of last year & maybe a tactical move on the governments part to pacify the UK holiday trade.

Also, it looks like the vaccine passport is likely to be key if you are considering traveling abroad.

You can currently download the NHS app to your mobile phone, which requires you to scan your i.d. (passport or driving license for example)
      You also have allow the app to take a face scan.
      This requires your details incl. your NHS No & shows any current meds your using including your Covid vaccination/s

This will then allow someone to validate that you’ve had the (2) jabs incl. the brand & batch numbers & the dates

It’s a little bit invasive & I can see that it won’t be everyones choice, but short of the government putting this out to some of their cronies for some exorbitant cost to the tax payer, it would appear to be a practical & preferable & to keep it within the NHS framework.

For my part having not been abroad for 3 years (due to personal circumstances) we will go for a few mini breaks in the UK (4 planned so far) & see what develops for Sept when the new school term commences.

• Christine Twigg 1st May 2021 at 7:48 pm

Thanks Mag for the useful information. I don’t think I will be bothering with all the paperwork to go abroad etc I hope to maybe go away in the UK but fear the costs have gone up too much although I could probably afford something. I hope they have not gone up too much so that people who could not normally go abroad can’t even holiday in the UK either.

• Shirlann 1st May 2021 at 12:47 pm

Booked for end November to Dubai 🤞

• Teresa M 1st May 2021 at 10:34 pm

It’s difficult to know what to do but if you have to wear a mask all day and have allotted times for beach and pool it doesn’t seem like a holiday at all

• Deleted User 11th May 2021 at 9:13 pm

Just been talking to someone who works for TUI, their phones are jammed with half of the U.K. booking Portugal this year

• paulinevaughan2015 11th May 2021 at 9:52 pm

I’m going to Edinburgh at the end of May. It’s actually a cat sit (looking after now, not actually sitting ion it) but I will have plenty of free time.

After that I’ve 2 days booked over in York in July with some other women off here.

Looking now for another pet sit in August maybe down South as I think a group of us are planning a London trip.

BTW if anyone is interested in meeting up for coffee and a chat in Edinburgh please message me

Pauline P

• sarahc68 13th May 2021 at 7:35 pm

I’m booked for a week in Lanzarote at New Year. There’s only one full week every 2 years when we can go away so 🤞

• Deleted User 16th May 2021 at 9:23 am

I had a cruise booked for this September but transferred to next Sept. Can’t wait.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 16th May 2021 at 9:57 am

I,ve got a motorhome tapping its toe-nails on the drive , but may leave the Euro trips until Sept ,,,,just tootle around Blighty before that ,,,try and avoid the madness really !

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 16th May 2021 at 8:00 pm

the ‘bike racing at Scarboro is awesome tho , bean going there since Barry Sheene dayz ,,,ha ha

• Thunderbird109 17th May 2021 at 8:17 am

Only holidaying in U.K. this year. Our rebooked, then rebooked holiday abroad to Australia and New Zealand Dec 2022

• Aqualady51 17th May 2021 at 9:53 am

Not yet, I’m watching all these people flying to Portugal today and wondering what that will be like. I can’t imagine it will be ‘normal’, bound to be restrictions and social distancing, but with warmer weather! I can see the appeal given the restrictions we’ve had, but can’t help thinking it’s too soon. Holidays in the UK are ridiculously expensive. I was so looking forward to going on holiday for the first time outside of expensive school holidays as I have A level and GCSE teenagers finishing this summer. I have never taken them out of school for a holiday ever! I know it’s tempting, when prices are much lower, but I always felt it was giving them the wrong message. I know travel is enlightening a d you learn lots, but questioned what they’d be learning round a villa pool in Andalusia. Finding it difficult to find anywhere suitable in the UK at the moment! First world problems of course.

• Christine Twigg 20th May 2021 at 8:01 pm

Hi that’s a shame after all those years being restricted by school holidays. I haven’t even bothered looking at UK holidays but heard they are very expensive – do you think this could backfire on the UK travel industry? I wonder if they have focused too much on clawing back profits because they now have a massive home market.

• Deleted User 19th May 2021 at 11:59 pm

I’ve taken a chance on booking Dublin for the 3rd week of June. Flights only cost £10.17 return so not much at stake if the restrictions make it too difficult.

• Deleted User 26th May 2021 at 8:51 am

No change in restrictions yet but Ryanair have put an end to this trip by changing the outward flight time from 8.20am to 9.10 pm 🙄

• adeliza0165 20th May 2021 at 10:19 am

Had hoped to go Ibiza and gozo with friends but it looking unlikely – the tests and self quarantine sucks. But, we are going to beautiful Cornwall! – no quarantine needed 😊

• Deleted User 20th May 2021 at 4:52 pm

Had cruise booked for this September but transferred it to next year. UK is getting pretty booked up with everyone doing staycations.

• Nels61 25th May 2021 at 11:09 pm

Staying in the UK going to York then Ribby Hall then finish in Liverpool 😁
      Was supposed to be going to Lanzarote but hey ho will get abroad soon enough when it is safer to do so
      I’m looking forward to my holiday this year think it will be fun 👌

• Oracle06 26th May 2021 at 6:46 am

We went to Cornwall last year as cruise to see the Northern Lights was cancelled although hoping to rebook for next year (2022) if it’s safe to go! As for this year we are off to Suffolk beginning of September and maybe Spain in November (if it makes it onto the green list!) for my late father-in-laws memorial who we lost to Covid in January full of mixed emotions as can’t say I’m looking forward to getting on a plane at the moment but really want to go to pay my respects and support my lovely mother-in-law & wonderful husband

• Tuppence 26th May 2021 at 11:22 am

One of my boys and myself are going to the Scilly Isles at the end of October. Possibly. Still a bit ‘wait and see’ …

• Cerie 6th June 2021 at 1:18 pm

Yes as a travel consultant I’ve been very busy grabbing some great bargains before the prices go up! I’ve booked Kefalonia for the end of September, Vietnam and Cambodia for November, Goa for February 22 a s a Safari in South Africa for next September (not sure that they will go ahead but they can all be moved if not) As long as you book with a reliable travel company you can always postpone or get a refund

• Zoya 6th June 2021 at 11:29 pm

Do have itchy feet but going to wait till 2022
      Thinking of Cuba

• Cerie 7th June 2021 at 10:28 am

Yes prices have already risen but social distancing is going to be around for quite some time which means less people allowed in hotels. on cruise ships etc. As soon as a country gets the green lights bookings go mad and its a case of supply and demand.

• Shirlann 8th June 2021 at 8:54 am

Idiots we are booked holiday to Dubai end of November but need to check if going to happen ☹️

Add