Home Forums History & Nostalgia Has anyone had a D.N.A. test done? Did you think i...

• Has anyone had a D.N.A. test done? Did you think it was worth the cost?

Posted by Fluff
    • Reply by g

Waste of money and totally disappointed. We had ours done by Ancestry . Came back 98 percent English. What the heck is English.,was hoping for a bit more than that.

• Reply by RumRaider100

I had mine done through Ancestry.com which is suppose to have the largest pool of people DNA which gave good results

• Reply by Sandyg

No such thing as English really, as we were constantly under invasion or being the invaders ! .Despite all my geneology research showing generations of ancestors in London, I discovered I had NO English DNA whatsoever !
        I’m a third Celtic though, they lump together ‘ Irish, Scottish &Welsh’..so that’s not as helpful as id hoped…But I had an unexpected large %of Scandinavian..then thought, Ah yes, Viking invaders, So that explains why 3 of my 4 adult kids have ginger hair! Mine was reddish, and my Dad had ginger sideburns&facial hair, so I knew it came from him.NorthEuropean probably meant French which my maiden name is- Beaumont – and the tiny bit of Italian possibly from Roman invaders…or that and the tiny bit of Iberian maybe from my unknown Gt.Grandfather.
        All fascinating stuff, and Iv bought my kids a kit each when thry were on half-price offer, so can’t wait for all their results to arrive.

• Reply by Sandyg

and with zheritage, I got NO English at all ! I was shocked! As on all branches as far back as I can get , my ancestors came from London or close by.

• Reply by Malc

Did mine through Ancestry and, overall, reasonably pleased. It did confirm suspicions about both mine and my wife’s ancestry and certainly clarified a surprising Irish aristocratic connection in my own family.

• Reply by Fluff

Sounds intriguing ! 🙂

• Reply by Malc

And, if research on that particular line (through family legend) is to be believed, right back to the historic finding of Moses in his basket – although that probably needs to be taken with a couple of large pillars of salt!

• Reply by Malc

Even more intriguing is that one of my wife’s ancestors was, apparently, one King Frosti – of Finland! A historic personage and not an April Fool’s joke I promise.

• Reply by Fluff

Ha Ha – Love it.

• Reply by Colin in Kent

That’s interesting – exactly the same result for my wife. There was a longstanding joke in her family (I’ve no idea where it originated) that her mother was descended from Irish kings, although her immediate ancestry was East London! We did some genealogy the hard way about ten years ago and traced her grandmother’s line back to Ireland, but now using Ancestry (and other research from people who have their family trees on there) it’s been narrowed down to the O’Neil line.

• Reply by Malc

Well, hello cousin. My line too.

• Reply by Colin in Kent

They certainly seem to have gotten about! I’ll have to tell my wife (it’s her line)

• Reply by Malc

Athalanta O’Neill is my connection

• Reply by Colin in Kent

I believe my wife’s are from Tyrone, but I know she’s done a lot of work on it since I’ve seen the actual genealogy.

• Reply by Mary B

I had one done a few years back with Ancestry. It was about £60 then.
      I was just out of interest.
      Since then I have paid a monthly subscription and investigated my family tree and history. I think it’s brilliant, but I guess it depends on why you’re doing it snd what you expect to know.
      The databases are massive now, so you can find out a great deal.
      Beware of scam companies offering DNA tests. Check out ancestry.com.

• Reply by RumRaider100

I have had mine and some other family members done through Ancestry, which seems to produce good results, although there were slight variations between my sister and I. However, I have been told by a family tree “expert” that it’s worth having it re-done in 10 years’ time as a better result will come from a larger pool of people.

• Reply by Fluff

Interesting that there were differences between you & your Sister.

• Reply by RumRaider100

Hers showed she had some Scottish ancestry, but mine did not, but this was only a small % difference, generally, it was the same.

• Reply by JulieW

We get half of our DNA from each parent so it is possible to have a different variation of your genes and therefore can miss out a whole line. My DNA result is mainly Scottish & Irish whereas my sister is English, explains why my skin is fairer than the rest of the family, we are English but have ancestors from all UK regions

• Reply by Sandyg

There are always differences between siblings, you don’t inherit the exact same amount of anything unless you are identical twins.3 of my 4 areginger haired, blue ish eyes,pale skin,freckles 1 is dark hair, tans easily, dark eyes..same parents . So he has inherited more from a certain grandparent than the others.. my dad had the red haired gene, but both mums were dark haired, skin&brown eyes.The surprise is that only 1 out of 4 inherited that.
        It must be my Scandinavian DNA coming through stronger on the redheads.

• Reply by tang.sue0104

I did one through MyHeritage which reflected my 94% English, 4% Scottish, Welsh & Irish, and 2% Southern Italian or Greek heritage which puzzled me at first. I was not born here but of British parents and my father was from Cockermouth, near which was the Papworth Roman fort – apparently many English people have Roman ancestry, which I was not aware of. I then contacted a genealogist who I met through this site and she has done my father’s family tree back to 1770 and late 1800s which I found most interesting. I am hoping to have my mum’s family traced too.

• Reply by Sandyg

yes i had a little Italian which I assume is down to Roman invaders !

• Reply by Skattie

Was your genealogist expensive?

• Reply by Mark S

Ancestry would be better. i found out some very sad details about my birth father. It made me realise why i had been adopted at birth.

• Reply by AllsGravy

I don’t understand how genes can be attributed to countries, of which borders fluctuate. There are no such peoples as ‘genetically English’. This just plays to the false narrative of nationalism. There is no such thing as an indigenous Briton, let alone an English person or Scots. The Peoples of Britain and Ireland have always ALL been immigrants: as Saxons, Angles, Norse, Danes, Normans, Celts, Romans, etc. Genealogy should be focused more on geography/location than artificial political boundaries

• Reply by Daisychain

I agree. Living DNA showed the vast majority of my ancestry derived from Saxony (Germany) and prior to that the eastern Mediterranean. This fitted in well with what I know of my ancestry mainly from the SE of England. Very little input from anywhere else. I’m part of Haplo group T2 (maternal) and in the present most people of this ancestry are to be found in the eastern Mediterranean. The group is apparently thinly spread as they were part of the western migrations of people from the Middle East.

My maternal line was based in the Sussex Weald and Suffolk (south and east Saxon) as far as I’ve managed to go back.

I’ve long since given up on nationality. It makes false divides and most of us are possibly a mixture of many different ‘nationalities’. It’s what is known as a construct. That is constructed by us humans to be part of our ‘identity’.

• Reply by Sandyg

it does explain that in the small print actually, shows maps of how your genetic group dispersed around the world.
        I did mine with Heritage, and you are right, there is virtually no true ‘ English’, I was so surprised to have none, but a third Celt, its all so fascinating

• Reply by Leighla

Yes I did and dont think it was a waste of money.

• Reply by lythgoej7

It was really interesting but did not help at all with my family tree research.

• Reply by Sandyg

no it dosent help with the actual geneology at all because the DNA goes back to the origins of the human race !
        Its just fascinatingly to learn of the mix of your heritage.

• Reply by Sandyg

yes, me too, it shows me I have about 50,000 5th&above cousins !!

• Reply by Mivvy

Yes, I had mine and my husband’s done. Had always known my husband to be Irish, from a staunch Catholic family. His DNA was 50% English – I haven’t stopped giggling yet…

• Reply by Sandyg

My mum in law was’ pure Irish ‘ but my (ex) husbands Ancestry showed 80% English, 20% Irish !!
        Thats ridiculous and Mibecwith Heritage showed a third Celtic so the joke is I’m probably more Irish than he is !
        Un helpfully though Heritage lumps together ‘ Irish, Scottish&Welsh..

• Reply by christine.gaylor

I did the Ancestry one. I was curious what my make up was – 71% English, 9% Scottish and the rest Scandinavian. Turns out my father’s father where related to the War of the Roses leaders and William the Conqueror. The Scandinavian is the Vikings. I have spent all of lockdown doing all my family trees. Really interesting and glad I have done it. Now I have more of a interest in history and ancestors history. Depends what you want to know – I also got in contact with a half cousin, which is great.

• Reply by Sapharica

I am very interested in genealogy and took a DNA test a few years back. I unearthed loads of cousins I did not know existed.

• Reply by skb

As my mother was given away as a child, I found out who my grandfather was and was genetic makeup I actually am, I reunited Mum with her half siblings, and have recently connected with a distant cousin who has direct living links to the ancestral family. We all have a zoom meeting on Saturday. It changed my life and the way I see myself and my past.

• Reply by marie.kerwick

I had one done a few years ago and discovered a very close relative I never knew about

• Reply by Philly

I have done mine on My Heritage, cost £48 it appears i have got 3th and 5th cousins mostly from Ireland. interestingly Colin reading your message i was born in Tyrone N.Ireland.

• Reply by Sandyg

remember the Irish border is man name, dosent exist in our DNA !

• Reply by Sandyg

man- made , that meant ..

• Reply by starlight

Worth every penny, I have made contact and met up with distant cousins in Sydney, New Zealand , Vancouver, has been great fun and they let you know when someone new does their DNA and is a match. This has bee spoken about quite a bit on Restless with long explanatory answers, best to do a search. I didn’t really care about my ethnicity, was just the contact with living relatives that was amazing.

• Reply by PeteB

I did my DNA at 23andme.com and I’m happy with what I got. I’ve added my mother so that I can split my DNA relatives between my father and mother’s sides. One thing I’m working on is trying to prove the identity of my grandfather’s biological father who is unknown.

I find it fascinating but, as others have said, the value for money depends on what you were looking for in the first place.

• Reply by Daisychain

That’s interesting. Via Ancestry I was contacted by a distant cousin. He too was searching for his grandfather’s father. By process of elimination we worked out where our common matches were. It took rather a long time as we had to trawl through lots of unrelated individuals. He then contacted some of those who were distantly related. It took a lot of searching but finally we came up with two brothers one of whom seemed the more likely. Fortunately others helped along the way. We have made a best guess by eliminating one who seemed far less likely. So we believe we have found the father.

We’ve finally found how we link up through lots more research and comparing common ancestors by place of residence also with help from others. I suggest Ancestry would be the best place as they have the biggest dna database.

Good luck with your search

• Reply by PeteB

Thanks! I have my DNA on a few sites but will consider adding Ancestry.

My method (in case anybody finds it useful) for finding the unknown father is to identify distant cousins on my mother’s side (typically 4th) and to trace their ancestry back to identify a 3rd cousin to my mother, a 2nd cousin to HER father and then a 1st cousin to the “wanted man”.

In one case, I’ve identified a “very good” candidate who was the right age and living in the right place. My plan is to find another 4th cousin who leads to the same man via a different route – thus giving a much higher chance that he’s the one! Ideally I would then trace that man’s other descendants (as I know that he married and had children after my grandfather was born. And that might lead to a living cousin who can only be related through him.

Sounds longwinded when I write it out but it’s quite logical and simple to do – but just a bit time consuming!

• Reply by Daisychain

We did pretty similar except the addition of finding mutual cousins via Ancestry. This was time consuming as I listed all my ‘cousins’ that appeared in our matches. I then sent the list to the other party. He went through all his matches and found the mutual matches. That was just the starting point. I don’t keep my tree on Ancestry but happily share my info with others via email. Beware that some people just copy other’s trees including mistakes.

• Reply by PeteB

You’re quite right about Ancestry’s so-called public trees. I’ve done family history research on lots of families and the Ancestry trees are a real danger zone. What clearly must happen is that one person documents something that is a bit “dodgy” (not validated with enough evidence – or just plain wrong) and then over time lots of other people just copy it without checking.

As somebody once said, just because lots of people believe something it doesn’t mean it’s a fact :). Beware of Ancesttry public trees – check the data yourself!

• Reply by Philly

Heritage gives me an option to send a message to my 3rd and 5th cousins. what happen then if i send message? do you wait for them to contact? confusing, probable have to send more money to Heritage to continue.

• Reply by Fluff

Don’t know how Heritage works. Ancestry includes if they have previously used.

• Reply by mdshamilton

I’ve done both 123 and Me as well as Ancestry.com’s DNA tests. It really depends on what you are after. I got more out of the 123 and Me one as it’s quite detailed on health markers and risks which I was curious about. If you are keen on your genealogy then Ancestry.com is better as the focus is on building family trees and you receive regular updates on potential new family connections.

• Reply by Pauline Purple

I was thinking of maybe doing a dna test. Through a bit of research on ancestry.com I found out my Gt Gt Grandfather was Irish. His name was Edward Kenny amd he came to England in c. 1846 so famine time. I’d love to know whereabouts in Ireland he came from. Anyone on here related to Kennys?

• Reply by Millybee

Yes I did it through ancestry & found my great great great grandfathers family after years of searching & a family mystery was solved. The reason we couldn’t find him was because he upped & left his wife & children, moved to London, changed his name & married my great great great grandmother by declaring he was widowed.

• Reply by Julie R

Interesting to read all the comments – i’ve been thinking about getting one for a while -mainly for family history purposes.

• Reply by Berlioz

I have found a few cousins. The closest I found were second cousins in australia who sent me photographs of my Great Great Grandparents. Photos I had never seen. I used Ancestry DNA.

• Reply by Sapharica

I did a DNA test a few years back and found some new relations. I am interested in genealogy.

• Reply by Stephen32

I had one with Ancestry not sure it was worth the information provided. It has produced a lot of names of potential 4 or 5th cousins etc but none close that i didn’t know about. Haven’t tried to contact any of them. But it is interesting to find out what % of you in English Scottish with a bit of welsh and German thrown in

• Reply by Adrianbullen270

My daughter brought me a DNA kit from 23andme. I found it quite good. Once you have the test done you have access to alot of information on their web site.

Add