Home Forums General Hands up those who knew the population of London i...

Gerard371 Posted 2 months ago
Hands up those who knew the population of London is greater than that of Scotland. If Scotland gets its independence, will they manage financially with out help from the south?
3 likes & 21 replies
    • Will998 6th October 2021 at 9:33 pm

My Scottish hand is up! The other one is holding onto my kilt! It’s a windy night North of the border..

Dunno .. 🤔
      We’ll survive on our daily ration of haggis and North Sea oil haha

What I do know for sure is, I’d rather live in Scotland than in London.
      I like my space 🤣

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 6th October 2021 at 9:36 pm

There are lots of smaller nations in the EU who do ok and I am sure Scotland will be able to re-join pretty quickly so London wont have to worry

• Mad Ralph 7th October 2021 at 2:21 am

I had no idea the population of Scotland was so small 😮

• Gerard371 7th October 2021 at 6:06 am

Just to clarify to everyone, I was in no waying knocking the Scottish, I’ve had many happy holidays up there, and ideally retiring to the mainland, or one of the sparsely populated Scottish islands, would do me, however that won’t happen as I want to remain in easy reach of my kids.
      But I read something about the size of the population compared to London, and I had to double-check that indeed London’s population is far greater by a couple of million people.

• Steve in Kent 7th October 2021 at 8:02 am

So Nicola should have a new job title Mayor of Scotland?

• George W 7th October 2021 at 9:20 am

Scotland has been subsidising London and the SE for generations…just refer to comments made by Michael Heseltine etc when unfettered by the shackles of government …that’s why London wants to hang on to is at all costs .Of course we could survive and prosper without the dead hand of London, Johnson and his corrupt Hedge fund cronies .

The most successful and prosperous nations on earth are in the North of Europe and have populations smaller than London…just ask the Danes,Swedes,Norwegians,Finns,Icelanders and even Ireland which has a higher GDP per person and double the state pension compared to UK .

• Lorraine1 7th October 2021 at 9:40 am

I think if the majority of Scots want independence, they should have it. However, they must also take their share of the national debt. I doubt that the working population of Scotland are prepared for the crippling taxation that will be required just to maintain the current level of public spending. Scots currently enjoy free higher education too. According to the Institute of Fiscal Studies, for each £1 of public spending in England, £1.30 is allocated to Scotland. https://ifs.org.uk/publications/15386. Scandanvian countries accept very high taxation and enjoy very high levels of public service, except perhaps for all the benefits of the NHS that we enjoy in the UK.

• George W 7th October 2021 at 9:54 am

Our debt is a notional debt based on sweeping assumptions from London which also earmarks Scottish exports as English exports if it leaves an English port as well as using Scottish taxation for English infrastructure projects like HS rail ,London sewage, BoJos house refurbishment etc .

Over the last 30 years Scotland has paid more to London treasury in taxation than it receives back.The oil wealth was also squandered on a superheated boom and bust London centric economy of the 80s(again see comments from Michael Heseltine on the subject) which just makes a mockery of the “we couldn’t survive without London “ thing .

Debt is one side of the coin as are assets which Scotland would be entitled to in any post Independence negotiations.

• Lorraine1 7th October 2021 at 9:57 am

I don’t think the IFS are much given to sweeping assumptions.

• George W 7th October 2021 at 10:16 am

The IFS like GERS do use sweeping assumptions when it comes to Scotland …for instance some Scottish income such as rent ,insurance and interest is recorded in SE England which grossly underestimates our revenue figures and artificially Inflates SE English figures .

VAT ,capital gains tax ,inheritance tax and corporation tax are all guesstimated and underestimated for Scotland as are real Scottish export figures (Scotland is a net exporter compared to rUK which is a net importer).

London also spends a large portion of Scottish taxation on e.g. nuclear weapons we don’t want or need as well as English infrastructure projects we have no say on .

UK government GERS also loads prepayment /interest on debt based on population size on a debt we did not create(see above) …some 130 Billion over the last 40 years …without this artifice debt we would be in surplus .

• George W 7th October 2021 at 10:33 am

The IFS are a right wing Tory think tank whose methodology has been described by former UK deputy Prime-minister Nick Clegg as “distorted and complete nonsense “ …read into that what you will .

• Lorraine1 7th October 2021 at 10:31 am

righty-o

• muddyboots1958 7th October 2021 at 11:01 am

The population of Scotland approximates that of Finland…and I think Scotland will do very well on it’s own…take a look at the behaviour of Westminster versus Holyrood and also https://www.stat.fi/tup/satavuotias-suomi/suomi-maailman-karjessa_en.html.
      Good luck Scotland!

• Vixster 7th October 2021 at 3:13 pm

You lucky sods might be able to avoid the Tories but we seem to be lumbered with the morons in England.

• Fuff 7th October 2021 at 7:02 pm

I live in Scotland but consider myself to be a UK citizen and want to stay that way. Hoping there’s not another referendum soon, it was so devisive and created a horrible atmosphere in Scotland. 😟

• George W 8th October 2021 at 9:05 am

One of the central planks of the unionist “Better together” campaign in 2014 was the lie of “vote for Independence and you’ll be out of Europe “…well we all know how that went when Scotland voted to stay in EU but ended up out of The EU and in the almighty mess that is Brexit all predicated on the whim of xenophobic Little Englanders like Farage and carpetbaggers like Johnson .

Independence is not only desirable but a necessity .

Add