Home Forums General Haggis ?

• Haggis ?

I am thinking about cooking a Haggis.
    Need help. Best place to buy from. What to cook with it. Not a little supermarket one a nice large one.
    Any help gratefully received.

Posted by Yellow Socks
    • Reply by Andy Paddles

I was discussing with a friend the other day, we agreed that the wild Highland haggis is the tastiest, if you get up early you can catch them before they retreat to their burrows for the day!

• Reply by DebbieS

And you have to be careful chasing as they only run one way around the mountain as legs are shorter on one side than the other

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Left legs I understand, they like to go clockwise!

• Reply by Lancashirelass60

When I first my husband and he lived in Aberdeen I used to. Be told that and first time I came to Scotland aged 16 kept looking out the train window with my friends to see if I could see one 😂😂😂

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Not so common on the east coast Lass, they don’t like the salt air!

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Which mountain might that be?

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Thriving population on Stac Pollaidh I believe. They like the steepness!

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Might be better to go lamping for them.

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Think Nicola says No to that one! Just a big net. Much more sporting!

• Reply by rena22

For Burn’s night it is usually haggis, neeps and tatties

• Reply by Lancashirelass60

I love haggis neeps and tatties and a small whisky sauce

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Thank you is the sauce homade?

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Yes I am looking at buying one haggis. Thank you

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Oh I am only cooking it because I though you had a drink with it.

• Reply by N125

Really love Haggis. My friend is Scottish & he sometimes serves it with breakfast !

• Reply by Yellow Socks

That sounds great. Thank you

• Reply by JAT48T

Waitrose! With mashed swede, onion gravy !

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Thank you not sure about Waitrose.

• Reply by JellyBean

Or you could look here for the very best haggis you can buy:
      https://www.countrylife.co.uk/food-drink/8-places-to-hunt-out-the-best-haggis-82263

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Oh thank you I am won of those people who like the best they can afford. I will look at this site.

• Reply by Michael Squire

Love it. And veggie haggis isn’t too bad either!

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Sorry veggy one not for me I am a meat person

• Reply by Marica

Haggis is wonderful , I remember staying in Aviemore many years ago and having haggis and black pudding , best ever

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Thank you for that.

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Ah but Marica, in Scotland you can also partake of White Pudding. A far rarer wee beastie!

• Reply by charol

White pudding is even better but you cannot buy it in the South down here

• Reply by Andy Paddles

A scots delicacy (although Ireland and the NE have it I understand) Marica!

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Hello yes I love White Pudding I have bought this in London and Brighton.

• Reply by Gill B

Delicious but I have never cooked it, and I have only eaten it in Scotland and never cook. Enjoy doing your own!

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Thank you

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Thank you

• Reply by Chris0114

Lancashire haggis company is the best haggis and has won the best haggis outside scotand it’s not as peppery as Scottish haggis
      They also do a haggis and black pudding which is delicious with your breakfast fry up

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Haggis and BP combined sounds good! Let’s face it, Lancashire is renowned for its black pudding! Surely everyone knows of the East Lancs Pudding Triangle?

• Reply by Yellow Socks

My local butcher here makes his own and although it’s square it taste brilliant.

• Reply by Andy Paddles

Square sausage works a treat, why wouldn’t square haggis be just as good!

Fair fa’ your honest, squared up face,

Great chieftain o’ the pudding race!

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Thank you. Lancashire Haggis does not sound as good as Scottish Haggis.

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Hello That lot lookzzz Lyk one of those viruzzzz things.

• Reply by Marica

Ohh, Jat , thank you for this link ! I think I will be ordering 🙂

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Did it work? Or was it ?????

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Hello just to let you all know I decided to taste a Haggis before buy one.
      It tasted Offal!

• Reply by Mary A

😂🤣😂. Do you wonder why they add a bucket of pepper to it. You’ve got to disguise whatever’s in it somehow! I still love it though and as a Scot’s lass, couldn’t live without it, especially at Rabbie Burns’ suppers. Whiskey sauce is a must. Yum! Doesn’t taste the same without a piper skirling in your ear though! 😂😂

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Hello have you a whiskey sauce recipes please?

• Reply by Mary A

I’ll have a wee look Yellow Socks. I’m sure I have an old one in my recipe book. Tried and tested too! 😃👍

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Thank very much. I will look forward to receiving it.

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Offal is really great. I just love it all.

• Reply by Mary A

That’s great. I used to hold Burns’ Suppers in my class but struggled to get the kids to eat it. Maybe I shouldn’t have told them what was in it first! 😃😃

• Reply by Yellow Socks

Children should understand about what they eat. I would teach children how to pluck birds and dress animals and get them to taste what I cooked. This was all voluntary on their side. It was great to see the expressions on their faces and the others watching them.

• Reply by Mary A

I agree. I once dissected a fish during a lesson and they were pretty fascinated by that. Some of them really wanted to get involved, others were running for the door. 😃

• Reply by Yellow Socks

This is what we need more of in our schools.

• Reply by Marica

Haha!!

• Reply by Yellow Socks

It is good to laugh. Laughing keeps me going I just worked 5 x 14 hour continuous shifts and 2 sleep overs. Had some great laughs . Now 7 days off. So some serious cooking to be done.

Add