Home Forums Learning Guten Tag! Are there any German speakers/learners...

• Guten Tag! Are there any German speakers/learners out there?

I have been learning German for years so was wondering if anyone else was. Maybe we could share resources/do something together. Bis dann!

Posted by christine.twigg
    • Reply by Eleanor

Wie gehts alles. Ich auch spreche ein kleines bisschen Deutsche. Deine Mutter was Deuche von Nordhorn Kreis Bentheim im Niedersachsen.

Mein Vater von Schottland wo ich und deine Schwester bleiben. Sie trafen sich am Ende des Krieges.

My father was with the forces that entered from Holland into Germany and spent 2 years serving with a unit called UNNRA set up by President Eisenhower to help the refugees reunite displaced families and help to rebuild their lives.
      That’s the start of my story, my mother came to Scotland when my dad returned home, he sent for her and they got married. Myself and sister grew up without ever learning the German language, my mum said she didn’t want us to speak German as at the time she was the enemy and not even my father’s family wanted to know her or us. We did go to Germany many times so picked up the conversational language and Later when I was 18 I decided to take German classes to learn the grammar. I’ve returned many times but still don’t speak it that well but I do know the sounds and how to pronounce most words.
      I’m looking for the best and easiest way to learn more for at 71 I’m still eager to learn.

• Reply by christine.twigg

Hi Eleanor Yes I understand what you mean as it was difficult times after the war. My mum came to work here from Austria but never got the chance to go back to live as she met my father here. I also didn’t speak German to her and then she died in 2000 and I started learning it in 2008 after visiting relatives for the first time in decades.  You’re never too old to learn so maybe you’ll join us on a Zoom call when we get things set up.

• Reply by Eleanor

Yes that would be good. It’s good to hear about others who have been in a similar situation. Mum died in 1999 at 74 but unlike yourself we as a family visited Germany many times, in fact it’s my second home and will return as soon as it’s possible for I have more family there than here. Aways make me welcome and I love the lifestyle just wish I could speak more German.

Yes we did visit a few times but had to go individually as my mum couldn’t afford to take us all. She was only 64 but I have been there every few years with my husband since I first went without my mum in 2008. I have more family there too than here and it’s like a second home. Hopefully one day I will figure out a way to get to know and discover it even more as it’s a part of me 🙂

• Reply by Wurmberg

Jawohl! Ich war Au-pair-Mädchen in Bayern. und obwohl das ist jetzt mehr als dreißig Jahre her ist, glaube ich dass ich mich noch daran erinnern kann.

• Reply by Amanda in Durham

Guten Abend alle zusammen!

Mein Name ist Amanda Wood und ich wohne seit Anfang Juli in Durham, aber davor war mein Wohnsitz im Südwesten Deutschlands, in der Nähe von Stuttgart. Ich lebte 32 Jahre lang dort und unterrichtete Englisch, vor allem in der Erwachsenenbildung. Ich würde sehr gerne mit euch Deutsch sprechen! Könnt ihr euch vorstellen, mich als Trainerin oder Kursleiterin zu haben? Hier folgt eine kurze Beschreibung meines Lebenlaufs auf Englisch.

I would love to work as a tutor for German! I took German at school, along with French, up to A level, then went to the University of East Anglia where I got a 2:1 in German Studies. After that I travelled for a while, ending up in Stuttgart in 1988. A few years later I got my Diploma in Translation from the Institute of Linguists in London.

Most of my teaching in Germany in recent years was either one-to-one with schoolkids or teaching mostly older adults in groups via the Volkshochschule. I really love teaching languages and would love to work with you guys!

Oh, and of course, one of my hobbies is learning new languages 🙂 In 2014 I started learning Swedish for fun, just to see if I could learn a new lanaguage using the resources you can find on the internet and without using a textbook or focusing too much on grammar. It was a really fun experience and I can now read Swedish crime books in the original version. I would love to share the tips I found on learning a language this way, one of them being the memrise app, which I used to learn Swedish vocabulary.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Ich freue mich schon, mehr von euch zu hören!

Herzlich willkommen Amanda  und ja es wäre toll wenn du kannst unser Kursleiterin sein! Wie könnten wir uns treffen? Es wäre toll wenn wir zusammen sprechen könnten und ein paar Tipps teilen. Es ist auch toll, dass du so viel Zeit in Deutschland war! Warum hast du zurück gekommen? Should we try and set up a Zoom meeting one evening next week for us all to meet? What does everyone think and would I need your email addresses to set it up?

Yes I have an account but not yet set up a meeting but I believe I could manage it! I can get the meeting I’D and password and just post it on the conversation but I feel sharing it through email would be safer.

• Reply by Amanda in Durham

A Zoom meeting would be good, do you have a Zoom account? I am not an expert on these things, I have just attended two or three informal Zoom get-togethers.

But I think it is necessary to get everyone’s email addresses and then whoever hosts the meeting sends out a link to the meeting.

• Reply by Sabine

I would love to join an online German speaking group.  I studied German at school, nearly 30 years ago.  Last year I went to a school in Berlin to learn there and loved connecting with the language again.  I’d love to join you all.

Hi I am not too sure how we could do it so it would be good to hear any ideas e.g. Zoom meeting?

• Reply by Sabine

I think Zoom meetings would be worth a try Christine.

• Reply by ArtistJanetMyers

Guten Abend, I have begun learning on Duolingo. not as fluent as you!

Guten Abend! Everyone has to start somewhere! Are you enjoying it? What resources are you using?

• Reply by ArtistJanetMyers

I am only using Duolingo.. I do the repetition  of the exercises. and the stories.

• Reply by Muriel

G.uten Abend, Ich spreche sehr gern Deutsch seit ich in der Schule war. Ich war bei eine Gruppe mit der U3a

vor zwei Jahren und das war schon. Hoffentlich finde ich bald noch eine Gruppe um wieder Deutsch zu sprechen.

Bis bald, Maureen.

Hallo Maureen ich spreche auch sehr gern. Vielleicht könnten wir eine kleine Gruppe auf Zoom organisieren. Was denkst du darüber?

• Reply by Muriel

Hello Christine,

It would be good to do something on line – I feel I would like to use  a fairly advanced textbook again as

my grammar, which I love, is getting rusty. The group I attended was mostly conversation and learning long

lists of words which I found difficult to learn out of context. My German became fluent while working in Zurich

Switzerland many years ago. I have always loved the German language. I must look at some of the

programmes people have mentioned. I am a retired English teacher. I have just tried keeping my finger

on a letter, and the umlaut became available. Regards, Maureen.

• Hi Maureen it’s interesting that you have been a teacher as what do you think would be the best way to learn if some of us German speakers maybe got together in a video call? Lucky you – I would love to spend more time in a German speaking country. Maybe when I retire 🙂
    • Reply by beichris

Learning German with a once a week session with a teacher. Would be good to have the opportunity to be put on the spot by someone to try and get some conversation going.Upper beginner level. Mit freundlichen Grüssen, Chris

Hallo Chris! Do you do your session online at the moment? Which level are you at and are you using specific textbooks? Warum lernst du Deutsch?

• Reply by beichris

Hallo Christine! I am using Schritte Plus book 3 level A2.1. Still a long way to go! Ich learne Deutsch, weil meine Tochter und Enkelkinder in Frankfurt lebt. Ich besuche Frankfurt oft, um meine Enkelkinder zu sehen. Ich liebe Deutschland. Ich habe viele Orte besucht. Ich reise in meinem Wohnmobil.  I have started to use the coffee break App suggested by Ken and the podcasts are really good at making you listen. I will also start finding out more about the Tandem App to see if I can get some speaking practice. Thanks for the suggestion. Mit freundlichen Grüssen. Chris

Hallo Chris Keep going! Es is schön das deine Tochter in Deutschland wohnt.  Ich liebe Deutschland und Österreich. I will probably try the Coffee Break App as podcasts would be useful whilst ironing! Viel Spass zum lernen!

• Reply by Ken from Worcestershire

I find Coffee Break German a free podcast very useful and try the news in slow German. View Glueck

Hi Ken I finally managed to download the Coffee Break app and listened to a couple of podcasts.  Thank you so much for recommending it as I think the format is great.  I have also told my German/English speaking partner in France about it and she is recommending it to an Italian who speaks English and wants to learn German!

Hi Ken I have downloaded the Coffee Break app but do you have to pay as it is asking me to subscribe?

• Reply by Ken from Worcestershire

No only if you wish to go further. I have never paid for this service.

Danke Ken.  I don’t usually listen to podcasts – how do you search for them as they are just audio aren’t they? Do you have to download them? Vielen Dank Christine

• Reply by stevev

Guten Morgen Christine

Ja ich spreche Deutsch und würde gern mein Deutsch üben, da es momentan zu wenig Gelegenheit gibt, das zu tun.   Ich vermisse Deutschland und möchte sobald wie möglich wieder dahin.

Schöne Grüße aus Plymouth

Steve

Hallo Steve

Du sprichst sehr gut Deutsch! Ich moechte auch gern Deutsch ueben (wo findet man die Umlauts auf einen Laptop?!).  Momentan verwende ich einen App der Tandem heisst.  Man kann mit Leute von Deutschland zusammen sprechen.  Icha kann das empfehlen. Wo, wann und wie lang hast du in Deutschland gelebt? Ich habe nie dort gelebt ab es waere toll wenn ich koennte es schaffen! Mit Freundlichen Gruessen, Christine

• Reply by stevev

Hi Christine

Re the umlauts:  on your phone (at least on my android) if you keep your finger on the letter various accent options will show.  Either that or instal different languages via your settings.  The only downside to that is predictive text often sticks in accents where you don’t want them when typing in English.

I’ve had a love affair with France/French, German/Germany since my teens.  I was lucky to have some excellent teachers at school and went on to study French and German atr university.  My German is better than my French as I have spent more time there than France.  Had a gap year back in 1983 in Berlin – amazing, uni year out in Frankfurt, 1985, where I was an Assistent in a school and 2 years teaching English in Austria.  Spent a good 30 years on and off working in TEFL (TEaching English as a Foreign Language) but Covid killed off the school and I am now redundant.  I started writing a couple of things about my study trips abroad and 2 of them have been published in the Restless Writers’ Corner (The Goat Trip and One Summer in Normandy).  I also wrote a third one about my time in Berlin but I haven’t submitted it yet.  Waiting to see if anybody bothers reading the other two first!  I am passionate about all things Germany and, particularly Berlin.  There is so much around atm owing to the anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall.  Do take a look at youtube, there is so much there.  Also, if you speak French, try the Innerfrench channel.  Brilliant.  So, I’ve got some casual work coming up but just about to do some tour guide training (may bring something in the future) and also trying to teach myself British Sign Language.  Re the Berlin account, I’m a bit nervous about submitting it to the writers’corner but happy to send you a copy if you’re interested…It’s about 10 pages long….I’m definitely going to take a look at Tandem.  Got to keep the brain busy!

Hi Steve Sorry to hear about the redundancy. Where was the school and couldn’t you teach online? Yes I agree that we have to keep our brains going! I’ve done CELTA in 2009 but never really used it as I am working full time in my day job. I unexpectedly started doing quite a bit of proofreading on the back of it though and now wondering whether to get qualified in it. Yes please send your article and I will have a look at the Writer’s Corner. Not been there yet!

• Reply by stevev

I pm’d you Christine

• Reply by Compass 360

I would really like yo

learn the German language 🤔

What is stopping you? As Steve says there are so many ways of learning these days, so much easier than years ago 🙂

• Reply by stevev

Loads of online courses currently plus don’t forget Duolingo, which is brilliant if you’re a beginner.

• Reply by Compass 360

Thanks 👍

• Reply by EricaWaveney

Yes, I am an intermediate learner and I am hoping to do more learning under lockdown

Viel Glueck!

• Reply by JMH

Ja – pre-lockdown I ran a U3A group for German speakers. we met once a week to chat for a couple of hours.

Das ist gut! Why don’t you do it online? Are you a German native speaker?

Add