Home Forums Book Club Guilty (reading) secret?

Gary K Posted 2 months ago
Guilty (reading) secret?

Have you got a guilty reading secret which is off the wall by comparison to your normal reads? Mine is an author called Griff Hosker. I’m fascinated by Viking history/Norse mythology, and he has written, (still writes), great numbers of historical fiction novels, a big chunk of which are to do with Vikings. The bonus is they are set in the Lake District/North East/Scottish Borders – I live in Northumberland Borders area, and frequently visit the Lakes. He also writes in the Saxon and Dark Ages periods, based in thoe geographical areas, plus others. Can’t help myself, see his name, buy the book!

2 likes & 9 replies
    • loislane 16th November 2021 at 5:57 pm

Definitely a love of mine too, I will look up the name , thanks

• VickiLynne 20th November 2021 at 8:08 am

I’ll tell my son about this author; he’s loved all things Viking and Norse mythology too!

• Caro 20th November 2021 at 8:23 am

Ah, Vikings and the Norse, reminds me of Noggin the Nog – I loved those books when I was a kid. “…In the Lands of the North, where the black rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long, the men of the North Lands sit by their great log fires, and they tell a tale…” Wonderful! I will definitely be looking out for Griff Hosker, I love historical works. Barabara Erskine is my favourite author, she’s a wonderful, very knowledgeable historian who has her set novels in various time periods.

• Nick J 20th November 2021 at 8:45 am

Thor went out for a ride one day
      Upon his favourite filly
      ‘I’m Thor’ he cried
      and his horse replied
      ‘Well, use your thaddle, thilly.’

Never feel guilty about reading, anything! If you stop reading, then feel guilty.

• MalcolmC 20th November 2021 at 10:00 am

I never have a guilty reading secret. I am shameless and will read almost anything. From the ingredients and nutrition values on cereal packets (breakfast table reading when I was a kid) to encyclopedias by means of ‘literary fiction’ (whatever that may mean) and the trashiest of pulp paperback.

As for something outside my ‘normal’ realm of reading, I like what is called ‘young adult’ dystopian fiction (Hunger Games etc.).

• Gary K 20th November 2021 at 10:27 am

I also enjoyed The Hunger Games books, and the ‘Dark Materials’ books as well. I have 8 grandchildren (oldest granddaughter now 20 – the rest from 12 down), so I occasionally read alongside them, to try and encourage them to join their local Indie shop book clubs etc.

• MalcolmC 20th November 2021 at 10:39 am

No grand children here yet, but I loved reading to my kids. I then enjoyed discussing the things they were reading. The Harry Potter books were the transitional series – started with me reading the early books to them, then listening to them read the middle books, then comparing notes/thoughts after we had all read the latest installment at the time. This has continued to this day,, both are now in their mid-late 20s, where we recommend books to each other.

• MS2021 20th November 2021 at 2:11 pm

No guilt about reading anything. If you don’t try it how do you know if you like the author / genre

Add