Home Forums Gardening Grow your own

Add comment

• Grow your own

On the allotment today just harvesting damsons got a bucket full with still some near the top of the tree to reach

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200716_113441-scaled.jpg

Posted by gbhgrant10
Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Reply by gbhgrant10

Brought pumpkins and butternut squash inside this morning.

Attachments:
      1. IMG_20201004_103050-scaled.jpg

• Reply by Stuart

Saw this on the BBC this morning about giant veg growing.    Some truly impressive giant veg in there, although not sure how tasty they will be at that size… My favourite was the marrow that looks like it could double as a park bench!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54347696

• Reply by Stuart

A few bits…. tomatoes and courgettes seem to have done well this year…. broad beans and runner beans lost to black fly.

Attachments:
      1. 20200715_134029-scaled.jpg

2. 20200729_182717-scaled.jpg

3. 20200829_123800-scaled.jpg

• Reply by jillmars22

Beautiful!  Reminds me of eating Victoria plums straight off the tree at my dad’s allotment.

• Reply by chrisday_narca

Anyone else having problems with their tomatoes this year?  Only a few have ripened.

• Reply by chrisday_narca

Just blanched loads of runner beans – will be harvesting damsons, apples, french beans & tomatoes shortly.

• Reply by kay

This weather is wreaking havoc in my garden. The winds blew over my Harris fencing bean trellis and took out my whole bean crop last night even though I tied it down like a tent!

• Reply by Stuart

Yes!  We had two whole courgette plants and a cucumber plant completely ripped off at the root by the wind…. Not had a year like it before!

• Reply by andrewtreadaway

Now I made a superb damson gin which won prizes at work many years ago. I then drained the damsons off a let them dry in the oven before placing in a tray and covering in dark chocolate. A tasty treat over Christmas 😁

• Reply by gbhgrant10

Made plum gin, damson gin aswell as flavoured vodkas . Like the damson gin at Christmas reminds me of sherry.

• Reply by Sue

Very envious had to give up our allotment after my husband had his stroke. Have tried growing veg in a raised bed but nothing grow could it be lack of worms because I never see any.

• Reply by barrowwraith

Spent a happy hour and half blanching courgettes for freezing [senior management has instructed me not feed the D##m thing again]

anyone else dealing with a glut ?

• Reply by verandell

My partner grew loads from seeds this year but we have had very few.

• Reply by kay

I always have too many courgettes which inevitably turn into marrows. Over the last few years I have shared them with my tenants, pickled them, made ratatouille for freezing, courgette cake, baked the marrows with a spicy stuffing.. amongst other things. They are a plant that just keeps on giving.

• Reply by barrowwraith

just made a batch of ratatouille for freezing and sliced another lot for blanching and freezing ………. now pickling ? how successful is that never tried it and is it your recipe or where did you get the guide ? ….let me know J

• Reply by kay

The recipe is from Jamie Oliver. It is readily available on the internet. A nice crunchy pickle that I keep in the fridge with my pickled beetroot. My husband loves anything pickled so it is a winner. Great for accompanying salads or BBQs.

• Reply by barrowwraith

thank you for that will go mooching

• Reply by pimmi42

Huge onions this year

Attachments:
      1. inbound4628714790814488092-scaled.jpg

• Reply by Stuart

Really impressive!

• Reply by andrewtreadaway

Wow now that’s a serious onion and I was soo chuffed with my harvest 😞😁

• Reply by [email protected]

They look yummy, I remember making damson jam, my only try at making preserves..enjoy, I just got on the waiting list in my area to get an allotment.

Viewing 11 reply threads