Home Forums General Goodbye TV license fee 👋👋😎👍

Mad Ralph Posted 4 months ago
Goodbye TV license fee 👋👋😎👍
7 likes & 80 replies
    • Deleted User 16th January 2022 at 6:49 pm

About time!!

• Pennypitstop 16th January 2022 at 7:09 pm

It should be a subscription channel like Netflix, Amazon prime etc……..but who would subscribe mmmm not sure which one to choose…Netflix or BBC hard choice to make LOL. Hope this is goodbye BBC Licence but wont hold my breath another government might be in by then and decide to carry it on. 🙁

• Vixster 16th January 2022 at 7:53 pm

Yes let’s welcome Fox News or whatever other right wing vehicle the Tories would rather have instead of the world renowned independent BBC!

• Suz Cambridge 16th January 2022 at 9:04 pm

BBC news — that should be free to all UK residents. The rest programs are more niche so “subscriptions” would be suitable — since many of us only watch certain BBC channels.

• Reverend Nick 16th January 2022 at 10:30 pm

Yes, I think the TV licence is well past it’s sell-by date. The BBC itself, whilst it still puts out a few decent things, has become bloated and narcissistic with its own self-importance. We often hear it’s the best broadcasting serve in the world but this is because the BBC constantly tells us so at every break between programmes. If you say something often enough then people start to believe it.

I’ve never liked the ‘we’ll send the boys round’ approach they use with adverts they do to target people who watch without a licence. If any other company did this, even notorious pay-day loan companies, it would be regarded as threatening behaviour.

• Suz Cambridge 17th January 2022 at 11:21 am

Agree, we got so many “threatening” letters and reminders….we just gave up and paid automatically….no point explaining that we don’t have a TV and do not watch BBC. We just watch Netflix or YouTube in laptop —but they say if we have laptops or mobile phones…then we have to pay for TV licence since we could be watching BBC online LOL….(they overpay themselves too – forgot they are using our licence fees and not profit like private TV stations…)

• alanski 17th January 2022 at 12:25 pm

If you’re paying the licence fee, you might as well buy a TV and watch Netflix in comfort!

• Suz Cambridge 17th January 2022 at 10:45 pm

The flat was occupied by my nephew at university, he only uses laptop for games and watching Netflix, YouTube. Kids don’t need TV nowadays – they are just glued to their phones and laptops.

• min 17th January 2022 at 5:10 pm

You paid??? And you haven’t even got a TV???

• Suz Cambridge 17th January 2022 at 10:48 pm

Flat was occupied by my nephew (university student for 3 years) – never needed TV since he is at campus library etc or playing games, music on phone and laptop — but they sent “threatening” letters/reminders…that they will send “inspectors” to physically come in and check we do not have a TV and not watching BBC online on computer…..(we just paid every year just to stop them hassling or knocking on the door)

• min 17th January 2022 at 5:12 pm

I think I could have funded a TV licence with all the money they have spent on letters to me.

• Spiritual Guy 17th January 2022 at 12:22 am

Pathetic ploy by the buffoon to try and win back votes

• Rockrose 17th January 2022 at 7:15 am

I will belive it when it happens

• Paul of Southampton 17th January 2022 at 8:59 am

Sadly the BBC does little to help itself. Incompetent management and has been for years.

• Mad Ralph 17th January 2022 at 9:08 am

And an institution that thought it was above the law for many years. It’s perverted presenters running around the country abusing children at will.

• Wenic 17th January 2022 at 10:59 am

I think they’ll still charge a fee, the only difference being is they’ll just rename it

• TDS1952 17th January 2022 at 11:27 am

In the past I have been a supporter of the Licence Fee. But not now. I am not a political animal, infact very middle of the road, but the left wing, woke political bias of the Corporation is sickening. The Presenters are overpaid and should keep their views to themselves. They are there to present the News. How they have got in this position is a mystery to me.

• Suz Cambridge 17th January 2022 at 11:29 am

This is what upsets me the most about the BBC licence fee saga : “The days of the elderly being threatened with prison sentences and bailiffs knocking on doors…..” People over 75 being made to pay TV licence and hounded like criminals…..BBC is too power crazy…no longer for the people (its original mission).

• Trampus 17th January 2022 at 11:53 am

Problem with all this is that if the TV licence goes and we turn to subscription, these same people won’t be able to afford the subscription charge as they are often more expensive than the licence. Then they are left just watching ITV which is mostly C”@p anyway. Instead of scrapping the licence fee, go back to all pensioners getting it free, reduce the amount that have trouble paying and we might have a decent system. Just my thoughts is all.

• Mad Ralph 17th January 2022 at 12:44 pm

Humm, that’s a very good point, who’s to say what their cooking up.

There’s lots of channels on freeview that generate their revenues through advertising. Why can’t the bbc do the same?

It’s a very unfair situation at the moment.

• Warwick Pete 17th January 2022 at 4:15 pm

Agree , I can’t stand all the adverts either

• Shirlann 17th January 2022 at 12:32 pm

Hope so paying for something I hardly ever use☹️

• Daisychain 17th January 2022 at 1:41 pm

I’m ok with the TV licence and watch the BBC fairly often although I find the news somewhat biased. The radio is a great friend and the factual programmes are magnificent. I’m not sure how it could be replaced. We sell a huge number of programmes abroad and to other pay to view sites. Does this mean Freeview is likely to disappear? What other mechanisms could be put in place.

I certainly don’t want tv full of more advertising and currently subscribe to BritBox, Amazon by default (Amazon Prime) and Channel4+. I’ve tried NOW for GOT and Netflix but most of it is full of stuff I never watch. The same goes for Prime.

Whichever way the government chooses to continue with public broadcasting the costs will be sold as benefits and we will likely be paying more for an inferior service. Be careful what you wish for!

• Mad Ralph 17th January 2022 at 2:02 pm

For the people who watch/listen to the bbc at the moment it’s great because it’s being subsidised by the far greater number of people who don’t use the service. If only people who used the service where the ones paying the licence fee I think their bill would be in the tens of thousands of pounds. Would you be happy to pay then?

• Reverend Nick 17th January 2022 at 3:48 pm

With the hundreds of channels available to everyone on Freeview it’s a fair bet that there are more slots than advertising material to fill them – not enough to subsidise BBC finances unless advertisers see it as more prestige platform.

Richard Sharp, the Chairman of the BBC Directors since 2020/21 has donated £400,000 to the Conservative party over the past 20 years, he has also been involved with the right wing think tank the Centre for Policy Studies which is where the suggestion to abolish the licence fee was first called for. With these characteristics It’s unlikely that he’s promoting a left wing bias for the Corporation.

It’s probably more accurate to say that over the years, the BBC has lurched from one ideology to the other – whichever one served it’s self-interest best at the time. Currently the conservatives have it, and it’s likely to be in that position for some time to come. Possibly to preside over it’s breaking-up.

• Suz Cambridge 17th January 2022 at 10:59 pm

Maybe BBC should simply be sold off and become independent? Let them compete like all the others? Sky News is pretty good substitute fr BBC News and World News. The rest are out for grabs — let them compete with other TV entertainment/Sports/ Arts Culture stations..

• Mad Ralph 17th January 2022 at 3:55 pm

It’ll get thrown on the same scrap heap as the nhs.

• Staying Alive 17th January 2022 at 4:15 pm

Yep bye bye 👋

• Warwick Pete 17th January 2022 at 4:24 pm

I think this is a terrible idea , there is more to the BBC than TV , local radio and world service for example. I don’t want all the Uk’s TV and radio controlled by American companies and don’t want programmes interrupted by adverts every few minutes. Can’t see other providers broadcasting Royal events , Winter watch , Countryfile etc . These programmes are enjoyed by older people who will no doubt end up paying more in the long term . Purely political to detract from Partygate

• Grace Williams 19th January 2022 at 11:23 am

Their rhetoric is already controlled by america – Just a random for example, gates has ‘donated’ over 100 million to them over the last 12 years (check out the accounts of the B&M gates foundation, and follow the money trail ….) Soros is another one …the list goes on – Nothing is as it seems

• Purple boots 17th January 2022 at 6:09 pm

Why 5 years??, a lot of things can change in that time. I’m not holding my breathe

• Tambos57 17th January 2022 at 6:25 pm

Annoys me having to buy a license as I rarely watch the BBC or terrestrial tv.

And don’t get me started on some of those wages reportedly paid

• Ems 17th January 2022 at 9:19 pm

Terrestrial TV should be free for all, but I will believe it when I see it. Although I wouldn’t want Terrestrial to be pay per view like sky, Netflix, Disney, bt sport etc none of which I have or could afford or needing broadband which i don’t have nor can afford. Be careful what you wish for…

• Brummie Boy 17th January 2022 at 10:55 pm

Lets wait and see if it happens, this gov’t is full of false promises

• SteveM57 18th January 2022 at 4:57 am

Less than 50p per day, lots of great programmes.
      Wherever the funding comes from, we will end up paying for it. BBC will have to get fees from Sky, Virgin etc so subscribers will pay. If they go down the advertsiing route, we will still pay!

• Suz Cambridge 18th January 2022 at 10:28 am

Why would BBC have to get fees from SKY, Virgin etc —taxes? Monopolies in any industry is not good for consumers….it is not the money 50p a day…it is the quality and independence of the broadcaster…BBC used to be good, now it is “bloated” and overpaid subsidised by our TV licence fees (compulsory, no choice but to pay whether we like it or not?)

• SteveM57 18th January 2022 at 12:26 pm

They will have to replace the funding somehow. I would imagin ethat they would look at all possible revenue streams; advertising, charging Sky and Virgin etc. The BBC still makes some excellent programmes, just because you don’t like some of the presenters getting a good salary does not justify defunding it.
          The best way may be for it to be funded out of general taxation, then the Government can restore free TV licences for the over 75s, it certainly won’t ever happen if it goes commercial! I would prefer not to pay for the monarchy or nuclear weapons but don’t have any choice in the matter as a taxpayer!

• Paul of Southampton 21st January 2022 at 4:09 pm

please tell what some of the great programmes are

• SteveM57 22nd January 2022 at 7:33 am

Anything with Sir David Attenborough, Simon Reeve, wife likes Call The Midwife. Death In Paradise, Match of the Day, The NFL Show, Winter Walks, QI, Have I Got News For You, Mock The Week, Countryfile, Digging For Britain, Dr Who for starters.

• Paul of Southampton 24th January 2022 at 12:51 pm

You are entitled to your view.
          I can counter with Mrs Brown’s Boys, The One Show. News Quiz, PM, MOTD, Football Focus, Dr Who, so many poor dramas, and celebrity based tosh. Fewer political programmes, etc

• SteveM57 26th January 2022 at 2:27 pm

To be fair, most channels are the same, mostly filler and very little killer. I probably watch the BBC more than any other channel and less than 50p/day is great value for me.

• Robert K 18th January 2022 at 10:45 am

I think the BBC is a force for good – a few minor grumbles (left leaning, salaries, etc). I think it is incredibly good value. However ………. this is all about people being forced to pay for something, rather than having a choice.

In theory you can refuse to pay the Licence and not use the BBC. In reality I don’t think it is that straightforward.

• madeleine45 18th January 2022 at 8:11 pm

I have travelled and lived abroad in a variety of different places. One of the things we always found was that BBC world news was believed above all others I even met two people in a revolution situation who said that when they wanted to know what was really happening in their part of the world the BBC was seen as honest and far less biased that the local radios and is respected world wide when you here people actually confirming something by stating they have heard it on the world service.. Whilst Boorish ( oh sorry do i mean Boris ) Johnson is showing himself and his cronies to be totally untrustworthy and self seeking, and giving an appalling view of his view of britain, lying , hanging on by his fingernails and hasnt even got the guts to leave before he is pushed, actual factual news is most definitely trusted throughout the world. I have listened to world radio and love to listen to bbc3 and 4 and watch mostly bbc1 and 2. If there is anything reasonable on itv I prefer to record it and then can ignore the adverts. I love reading but bbc is still the best dramas especially something like Pride and Predudice. I want to be in the period and the bbc cannot be beaten for keeping to the correct period . You do not hear Emma saying ok!
      I am not moaning but just stating the facts, at present I have a lot of mobility problems and illness and to be able to watch art, or opera or a good drama. cheers an otherwise rather miserable winters evening. I would not feel able to pay a lot of money and find the cost now quite a lot, but am able to make some choices and watch gardening programmes etc too. If I had to pay for each programme or separate people I would probably just give up the tv. Too many repeats anyway and if you had to pay for something before you knew what it was like . well I am happy to save up for something if I really like it but to be asked to pay more for no one knows what . Well I will miss the art and music as I cannot travel anywhere at the moment but will give up the tv and just have the radio – if I am allowed to still retain that. My husband and I worked and payed the taxes and he used to always say how he left school on the friday and was at work on the monday.I know it is difficult in the job market now but when you have spent 50 years working and I brought up a child so did not have enough stamps to get a full pension, so now there is no chance that I can afford to spend more. As I live alone now as a widow, I have to say when I am not well I do watch more tv, but if they end up charging pensioners full rate , all the little pleasures of concerts from vienna and the proms etc will not be available . So then do you become very depressed and end up needing more nhs support. Well I am sure if Boris had not had his place decorated that money could have gone towards the bbc licence for many!! Oh bring back Spitting Image , how they would make such a marvellous lot of programmes from the state we are in now. !!

• Suz Cambridge 20th January 2022 at 4:06 pm

Absolutely 🙂 whatever TV fees charged — there should be groups pf people that should get FREE – exempt esp for older folks over 70 and those less mobile to go out inc care homes and residential homes

• Grace Williams 19th January 2022 at 10:47 am

They have been the propaganda machine and voice for the government since the last world war. Whatever Churchill told them to broadcast (supposedly to keep people spirits up and tell them we were winning at the time we were losing), and they hav’nt changed to this day, the last 2 years have proved that.

With their threating letters, I just put on the envelope ‘Return to sender, you child molesting paedos’ and stick it back in the post to them – I pity the poor sod if they ever send someone to my front door.

As it stands, they already make billions by selling their programmes and content worldwide. I refuse to support them, hav’nt had a license nor watched their communist/brain washing rhetoric channel(s) for about 6 years.

• LucasH 20th January 2022 at 12:31 am

Hi Grace, apart from Savill who are the paedos you are talking about?
        I’m wondering if I’ve missed something.

• Grace Williams 20th January 2022 at 9:03 am

Morning Lucas,
          I fear, like many in the UK and worldwide, you may well have missed quite a lot. I’ve been looking into this for about 10+ years.

The ritual abuse of children taken from care homes for the ‘weekend’ in the mid 70’s, to be used at will by high ranking officials, politicians, ‘celebrities’ etc, would quite honestly blow your mind (One, at the time was a serving prime minister who would use these children. Needless to say, it was hushed up. That’s just one example. Plenty of documentaries to be found if you care to look, by both the children and witnesses and those that tried to stop it)

It is alleged that Jill Dando was also killed due to her uncovering of high profile names, she brought it to the attention of those higher up, it went through the chain of command, and was immediately silenced. but that’s another story that cannot be corroborated.

If you think the epstein saga is unbelievable, with some of the names involved, (just look at the names on the flight manifestos) this is just the tip of the iceberg. The bbc (and all other news outlets) have habitually covered up evidence/protected the guilty/refused to run certain stories, not only of the child trafficking/sexual abuse, that has continued throughout the decades, but have been also been complicit by association – Namely those they have employed, the funds they have received, their inability to stand up, speak out … The net is far wider and has a greater reach than most can even begin to imagine.

If you look into the sources of who actually owns and dictates what is broadcast, it is a very small network of control – which then ensures that the public are kept in the dark about the information that is allowed out. Even the supposedly independent bbc, have a look at the funds they receive and from whom. I do my research, so I always have an argument to back up what I say.

(A fine example is the gates foundation contribution – Over 100+ million plus to the bbc in the last 12 years, it’s all in their accessible public accounts, go look – So what ‘independent’ stories are they likely to run on him??? Then when you look at his network and who he runs with, it doesnt take a brain surgeon to start to see a bigger picture emerge – Back to the old boys network of protecting each other. I think you may find gates was on epsteins flight log also, hence melinda gates very quickly disassociated from him once that was leaked…Do I need to say more?

It’s also not that difficult to do your own research – As a simple example, If they haven’t been taken down, there are many many documentaries on the likes of youtube from former police officers who tried to bring those to justice, only to be told to ‘leave it alone’, once they really got to the heart of it, as the implications of those that could be convicted would rock our country to the core and it wouldn’t be, supposedly in our best interests to have this festering cess pit of humanity uncovered. But then, most people don’t want to know, as they just couldnt handle it, so they dont go looking. Some of the names /people involved go right back to the bbc, especially during the 70’s and 80’s.

I have barely scratched the surface here, just a couple of instances if you did want to see exactly what is going on and how the bbc, for one, are a part of it.

• Suz Cambridge 20th January 2022 at 4:12 pm

That’s why BBC senior management, chairperson with links to GOV etc should never be “appointed” ? There wll always be bias and conflicts of interests — https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/06/former-goldman-sachs-banker-richard-sharp-to-be-next-bbc-chairman

• Paul of Southampton 21st January 2022 at 4:12 pm

You do love a conspiracy. Are you part of Q’Anon ?

• Grace Williams 21st January 2022 at 7:17 pm

I could post a load of links for you… but am sick to my back teeth of everyone just wanting things delivered on a plate… and too damn lazy to investigate and reach their own conclusions.

You go back to your comfortable little world that doesnt involve human/child trafficking etc… pretend I never said anything.
          Nothing to see here.

• Paul of Southampton 21st January 2022 at 4:11 pm

I’m critical of the BBC but don’t recognise any of your claims

• Grace Williams 21st January 2022 at 7:11 pm

Then you hav’nt dug deep enough. Like most, if it doesnt sit comfortably with you, you turn a blind eye and go about your business and/or throw a conspiracy theorist remark. Ignorance is no excuse for blindness. Cognitive dissonance is also very powerful. Do your own research, you cannot claim that you don’t recognise anything if you havnt even looked into it. And I don’t mean a quick scan of googles front page to draw your conclusions.

• Paul of Southampton 24th January 2022 at 12:52 pm

Oh dear you really are in a different universe

• Grace Williams 24th January 2022 at 4:14 pm

Nice to see it took you 3 days to come up with that very well informed, well thought out response. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️. Go troll someone else, I’m bored playing with you now, you’re not a worthy adversary!

• Paul of Southampton 25th January 2022 at 11:13 am

I have a life, and responding to you is well down my list if I get round to it at all.

Crazy conspiracy theories, you come across as unhinged

• Grace Williams 25th January 2022 at 11:22 am

I just can’t ….

• Paul of Southampton 24th January 2022 at 12:54 pm

I think you’ll find it is the catholic church that is full of paedos

• Lorraine1 19th January 2022 at 2:25 pm

I would like the BBC to be overhauled and made truly independent rather than the woke agenda that is fed to us by the chatterati at present. How nice if I could be sure I was tuning in to the news for reporting of the facts rather than the slanted output we have now. I believe it would be a loss to see it go. I like the ad free nature – particularly on radio. I’m not sure that nature and documentary programmes would be done so well elsewhere. So many commercial stations play the same middle of the road music or debate the same topics ad nauseum.

The BBC is envied around the world – though it does drive me mad that there is no licence fee outside the UK so they watch for free!

• madeleine45 20th January 2022 at 6:28 pm

It might amuse you to know that my first husband was an electrical engineer and had done codes and cipher etc when in the RAF, so when the first tv detector van was ready , we lived in Mill Hill on the outskirts of London, and at the end of the work , he came home in the actual van. It was clearly labelled on the outside , and he was asked to test it. He had to take it into streets, then check where the tv was being watched ( yes shades of big brother ) . within the property. So he then went to the door and had to ask if the tv was upstairs or downstairs , or rather he would say to them , are you watching itv in the rear room downstairs. He was also careful to state that he wasnt checking licences , but needed to know if the equipment worked. Of course he had an id and had leaflets explaining what it was actually doing. So he carried out this work over a couple of evenings in the area and then went back for things to be tweaked to correct any variations etc, and it was very accurate. So what about it ? Well the funny bit was that the local paper ran an article on the queues in the post office suddenly appearing , with people buying tv license, and wondered if people had heard the price was going up. A letter the following week explained what had been seen and the response to it. I know that this was before 1970 .because we were in Portugal by that time.

• Andee 22nd January 2022 at 9:46 am

No doubt it will come back under a different name and more costly or am I being too pessimistic.

Add