Home Forums Health Good morning lovely people ! I’m in need of...

Cari123 Posted 1 year ago
Good morning lovely people ! I’m in need of some help ,last summer I had a nasty accident and broke my knee cap this resulted in 9 hours of surgery leaving me with a knee that’s pretty useless 😔. I need to loose weight and exercise but the said knee is hindering me ,any tips or motivation speeches
3 likes & 17 replies
    • Merton 30th January 2021 at 8:53 am

Try fasting. Only eat healthily between the times noon and 8 pm. Drink loads of water and just get a fitness cd Body groove is good. ✅

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 30th January 2021 at 10:41 am

Hi, that sounds painful and annoying! When I had periods of inactivity I cut carbs out of my diet and adjust meal sizes so I eat my larger meals during the day and a light supper of soup, salad or fruit. I also have a cut off point, no food after 6pm. I find this works for me as I burn most calories during the day when I most physically active. Has your physio given you any advice on what/how to exercise?

• Tinlizzie 30th January 2021 at 11:12 am

That sounds tough! Does your knee stop you doing anything or is it just higher impact things?

• Mitou 30th January 2021 at 12:09 pm

Hi
      As a Pilates instructor, I see this a lot. The first thing you need to do, as you are going on a healthy eating plan, is to just build up the strength around the knees first and foremost. as you get stronger, you can add, gradually, more cardiovascular exercises, like walking f.ex.
      But you need to make sure the muscles/ All the “vastus muscles” and the “rectus femoris” muscles are good and strong first or you’ll have trouble doing anything. Start with some ISOMETRIC exercise first for the thigh and inner and outer thigh to support the knee and the patella/(knee cap/
      Go on YouTube and search for Remedial exercises to strengthen around knee. Do those thoroughly and as you get stronger you can add ankle weights etc. Best of Luck.

• Gillw 30th January 2021 at 12:26 pm

Thanks moto, your advice sounds really good, medical route is have an op, take some painkillers, you’re on your own!

• Gillw 30th January 2021 at 12:24 pm

Hi Cari, am glad you asked that question, I have similar probs due to osteo arthritis. Have been wondering how I can help myself through exercise and I need to lose weight. I will be trying out mitou’s suggestions. Would you like to get in touch and support each other?

• Mitou 30th January 2021 at 12:47 pm

Here is a little tip for both of you. As you are getting stronger around the knees, you can and probably also need to work on yourCORE MUSCLES. I can if you like, post a few knee exercises here for you to follow. You need to be very diligent with exercises as there will be a few weeks before you really begin to feel a difference. I know this for a fact as all muscles that are surrounding a joint get very weak very quickly, and then the pain sets in as the joint only have the end of joint, and the cartilage and tendons to rely on. So set up a little plan and stick it on your fridge door and I would suggest, unless you already have them, to get some ankle weights and a Dyna band to use in a couple of weeks time. Set a goal that by April 1, you will be able to do some walking, with good trainers of course. Then set a new goal that by June 1, you can add some pace to your walks and some distance.. And by Aug 1 you should have A/ Lost some extra pounds and feel so much better and B/ have strong CORE and Knee MUSCLES… It’s only ‘Onwards and Upwards” from then on.. Bye Bye for now.

• g 30th January 2021 at 2:54 pm

give swimming ago.. fun and fitness..

• Mirjana 30th January 2021 at 6:59 pm

Just be mindful what and how much you eat ..

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 30th January 2021 at 9:43 pm

Have thought about going to Lithuania for a total knee replacement.It will give you your life back

• Franfoy 31st January 2021 at 9:52 am

Hi I broke my ankle in two places and I quickly put weight on and being diabetic it was worrying.
      I changed my diet by cutting out carbohydrates including bread and potatoes. I lost a stone within a month and my blood sugar level dropped.

• Sjer 31st January 2021 at 10:49 pm

Yuk. I can sympathise as I broke my knee many years ago and was 9 months in plaster. Even 30 years on I am still making micro improvements. My advice is to first believe it’s possible to build it up. Ive learned that the stronger I am, the more resilient my knee is. When the world allows, find an experienced PT and learn what you can do. When my knee is very sore then I work on the floor. I have limped into the gym on crutches and walked out with ease on many times. I do zero hi intensity and work with my knee rather than try and fight it. The key is that the whole body works as a unit, so you need to train chains.
      I also recommend starting following Feldenkrais lessons on YouTube. All of them will work everything very gently and are great at helping to integrate the body.
      Finally I’ve found an electric bike very helpful when I’m feeling strong.
      Good luck

• Summersun65 1st February 2021 at 1:07 am

Cari sorry to hear about your knee its awful to be in pain. I was lucky I had a knee replacement it made the world of difference.
      They say people who live on there own recover quicker. Which I do and did.
      The NHS have some great exercises on line
      Really gentle really easy to follow. You can
      Increase as you improve. I’m terrible with exercising but I have been doing the NHS
      exercises because I can feel the improvement.
      I have osteoporosis.
      I don’t know if you have had a look at the skimming world plan. Myself and my friend are losing weight on it I can’t believe how much you can eat you are never hungry.
      I don’t know were you are going to fly to or go swimming at the moment.😂
      Do hope some of any of the advice anyone has suggested helps. Let use know what you decide to try. And if it helps. Stay safe.

• siandeve15 20th February 2021 at 6:42 pm

Sounds painful to me?
      I had major back surgery 35 years ago, that took many years to get over & is always a weakness all these years later as it can never be the same again.
      Hope you have had physio? & if not you may want to consider it asap?
      They can work wonders.
      On the subject of motivation speeches oddly enough I listened just this morning a probably the ultimate motivational talk from both Arnold Schwarzenegger & Sylvester Stallone on youtube.
      I don’t really do impressed but whatever your story is?
      These guys have come from nowhere to somewhere big time.
      After listening to their two speeches I’ve decided to in part devote my retired life to helping other people less fortunate than myself in the passut of volunteering of which I have been involved with for the last seven years with. That’s another story ofmy life.
      Super strongly suggest you find these speeches.
      That will defiantly do the job.
      Alternatively, my personal answer is:
      Don’t sit down, keep moving walking DIY-ing ironing anything.
      Once you though the towel in you goosed.
      Let me know if I can help you in any way please let me know.
      I possess the ability to move mountains (not literally).

• Mike Mc 20th February 2021 at 8:05 pm

After lockdown join your local swimming pool…;)

• Mia2207 13th April 2021 at 4:31 pm

Hi , I’ve been doing SlimmingWorld the last couple of years, I had a hip replacement a few years ago that dislocated twice afterwards and it took over 6 months to get right and I put loads of weight then a couple of years ago I went to SlimmingWorld so far I’ve lost 6 and a half stone the first 4 with hardly and exercise but as the weight came off I realised I could do more hope this helps xx

Add