Home Forums History & Nostalgia Good morning, I am reaching out to ask if there ar...

stephscott17 Posted 12 months ago
Good morning, I am reaching out to ask if there are people within this group who were captivated by the Reinterment of King Richard III which took place in March 2015 at Leicester Cathedral. I would be very interested in establishing a Mid Essex Branch of The Richard. III SocIety.

I was part of the Media Team for this unique project and at one point a member of the Richard III Society Executive Committee. So a good beginning for an interesting group.
Please do contact if interested or have questions.
Stephanie

1 like & 17 replies
    • Ray 2nd June 2021 at 12:00 am

Hi Yes, very interested in this. I visited Leicester myself to see the museum and the new burial site, facinating. Also very interested in History in general. I work as a private tour guide taking couples/small family groups around sites of Historical interest so would definitely be interested in finding out more about this.

• loislane 2nd June 2021 at 12:06 am

I always find History like this fascinating, I don’t know too much about it but I’m interested

• Nick Tilling 2nd June 2021 at 2:44 pm

I was never really convinced that Leicester should be the final resting place for Richard III instead of York – On a personal basis I find Its claim is about as doubtful as Henry VII’s claim to the throne.

Leicester is a leading example for diversity but fairly unremarkable as a city, it struck me as a tourism ploy.

Having said all that, Mrs Nick went to the exhibition when visiting Leicester to see a friend – and thought it very good – particularly how they could work out which injuries were sustained in battle and those administered post-mortem.

Is there still a Plantagenet claimant to the throne?

• loislane 2nd June 2021 at 2:49 pm

I thought there was, Nick, was he in Canada?

• Nick Tilling 2nd June 2021 at 2:59 pm

I didn’t know that – I’ll have to go and look it up – but after I’ve had my afternoon walk! I’m feeding my friend Karen’s cat today so I shall do so when keeping it company!

• loislane 2nd June 2021 at 3:31 pm

Good, let me know☺

• Reverend Nick 2nd June 2021 at 5:56 pm

Well here I am on Karen’s veranda – no mint julep unfortunately. The said rightful claimant is Michael Abney-Hastings a former fork lift truck driver in Australia. Tony Robinson of the Time Team went over to tell him the good news. Mr Abney-Hastings cheerfully renounced any wish for his rights to be taken seriously. Probably the thought of mortal combat with Princess Anne – let’s face it, no one’s going to survive that 😜

Mr Hastings has since passed away and the title has gone to his son Simon who also has no ambitions in that area.

How interesting that you can find these things out just from an odd comment.

• loislane 2nd June 2021 at 6:00 pm

Where would I start reading up? I’m reading The Black Prince

• Nick Tilling 3rd June 2021 at 2:02 pm

It all depends: I must admit I don’t know too much about the medieval period but I am very interested in the Reformation and the best people to look up on that are Diarmid MacCulloch from the protestant angle and Eamon Duffy from the Catholic. For the 17th Century; Christopher Hill and Keith Thomas for weird sects and witchcraft.

• loislane 3rd June 2021 at 2:10 pm

Thanks Nick, that’s a good start. It’s very interesting rather than citing kings and queens

• Nick Tilling 3rd June 2021 at 2:15 pm

The knock on effects can be expensive – we’re having to have new bookshelves made – if we can get someone to come and do it!

• loislane 3rd June 2021 at 2:24 pm

I know the problem, I need new shelves, probably ones for my bedroom, I’m getting rid of books that I know I’ll never read again, but buying ones that I will.

• loislane 4th July 2021 at 8:54 pm

Fascinating

• adeliza0165 4th July 2021 at 8:27 am

Being from Leicester, it’s no different to anywhere else that I’ve visited – some nice shops, places of interest and lovely parks.

Since Richard 111 has already been resting in Leicester for over 500 years, it’s quite fitting that he should carry on doing so and to remind us all that this is all part of history, that Leicester is the place where he came to rest.

A lot of people don’t get buried where they originate from.

• Fluffy 4th July 2021 at 9:45 am

the Bosworth Battlefield where Richard met his fate is well worth a visit.
      in the museum , they let you try on some of the armour of the time. it’s surprisingly heavy 🙂

• CAAS 4th July 2021 at 8:12 pm

It’s interesting that on Bosworth Field, there has never been any type of battle debris to be found, i.e’ arrow or spear heads pieces of armour or shield. Yet a couple of miles away, there’s a field covered in all sorts of stuff you’d connect with a battle site.
        On a lighter note. After Richard’s body was found in the car park a notice was put up, which read’
        The Burying of Dead Monarchs Bodies
        In This Car Park. Is Strictly Forbidden.

• Tennis Son 2nd August 2021 at 10:44 am

I wish they had buried Richard with his family in York. Seems to me he is being used by a church in Leicester to confer a high status on them and the city.
      Charles Dickens wanted to be buried in Rochester Kent but the clergy moved him to Westminster Abbey (or was it St Pauls).

Add