Home Forums General Get your candles and batteries ready!

Deleted User Posted 4 months ago
Get your candles and batteries ready!

Power cuts on the way and lots of them.
This is no longer a maybe but a definite.
The wind hasn’t blown a whisper for weeks right across Europe and the UK so no windmill power.
Gas prices rocketing.
A 47 kilo bottle of gas from my coalman went up five quid in spring and it’s gone up ten quid as from this morning.
I got a card off Scottish Power this morning… what to do in a power cut.
A little Googling should take you to the energy crisis that’s rapidly unfolding.
This is not like other times when we’ve been told there might be power cuts this time it is we will have power cuts.
We’re still in summertime and the crisis is already unfolding imagine when we actually start turning the lights on and the heating up in a few weeks time!

2 likes & 69 replies
    • Deleted User 20th September 2021 at 1:15 pm

Suspend climate policies and cancel COP26 to save Britain from looming energy disaster
      Date: 20/09/21
      London, 20 September – The Global Warning Policy Forum (GWPF) is calling on Prime Minister Boris Johnson to take swift and radical action to suspend damaging climate policies and prevent the looming energy crisis from turning into an economic and social disaster.

he GWPF has consistently warned that Britain’s unilateral climate policies under both Labour and Conservative administrations were creating an insecure and expensive energy sector that would ultimately fail due to consumer costs and collapsing security of supply.

These warnings are now fully vindicated. Over-relian…
      https://www.thegwpf.com/suspend-climate-policies-and-cancel-cop26-to-save-britain-from-looming-energy-disaster/

• Mad Ralph 20th September 2021 at 1:26 pm

Boris has also warned that Christmas may be cancelled due to shortages of products on the shelf.

Doesn’t this baffoon realise he’s just caused hysteria of the masses which will encourage panic buying and exacerbate the problem.

The guys an absolute melt and the media are gonna milk this for all it’s worth.

I suppose the bin wagons will be bulging at the seems with rotting food again in the next couple of weeks.

🤦

• Brighton Belle 20th September 2021 at 2:08 pm

Why we having.party 🥳

• Countrywalker 20th September 2021 at 3:27 pm

It is interesting to read another point of view on the issues, but, myself, I am not convinced that GWPF is a particularly reputable source of information. According to a number of sources I have seen, the GWPF have been pushing a climate change denial agenda despite the now over-whelming evidence to the contrary. The charity that they are linked to I believe also has refused to disclose where its funding comes from which seems a little bit suspicious to me. Maybe despite this they have valid points and events in the near future will drastically change my mind(!) but, from my current point of view, I personally would be happier with a bit of hardship now and a better chance of a habitable world in the future. Also, I may have misunderstood this, but I thought that the current gas issues are due mainly to increased gas demand (cold winter last year in Europe and increased demand in Asia) so the sooner we switch away from gas to renewable energy the better?

• Deleted User 20th September 2021 at 7:37 pm

There has been no wind across Europe and the UK for weeks to turn the turbines enough to generate power.

• Countrywalker 20th September 2021 at 9:15 pm

Thanks – I had not seen that. It sounds like there could be issues in the next few weeks. However it does sound like it should be a temporary issue that we need to get better at managing, rather than a reason for not acting on climate change as the GWPF seem to suggest. It also seems like it is not just the lack of wind at the moment causing the issue but that combined with a number of generator failures.

• Deleted User 20th September 2021 at 9:25 pm

And Asia making huge demands on the global gas supply as they rebuild their economies post Covid if there is such a thing.but there has been no wind across Europe for weeks showing we cannot live i a modern industrial world running on sunshine and windmills.

Our reality is we are not living in telly tubby land.

Every year the coal has had to shovelled in to meet demand.

Demand right now is low here because it’s still summer but imagine over the next few weeks when we start switching the lights and the heating on!

• Countrywalker 20th September 2021 at 9:37 pm

Yes – There are lots of challenges, and we need to look more at better insulated homes, wave, power, geothermal power, greater efficiency devices, hydroelectric, better solar panels, better power storage options (National Grid had to spend £50million on the second May Bank Holiday weekend this year alone to pay power producers – including surplus wind and solar farms – to switch off.)etc. However if you have read the IPCC report (“Code Red for humanity” ) then you appreciate that there is really not an option to carry on as we are.

• Deleted User 20th September 2021 at 9:50 pm

Better storage?

We seem to be a long way off that too.

The biggest battery in Europe for storing renewables electricity can power a small town of around ten thousand homes for a day at most.

SHELL STARTS TRADING POWER FROM EUROPE’S LARGEST BATTERY

https://www.shell.co.uk/media/2021-media-releases/shell-starts-trading-power-from-europes-largest-battery.html

• Deleted User 20th September 2021 at 9:44 pm

Renewable energy by way of wind is producing a big fat zero just now.

Winters coming and should the wind blow to hard they have to be shut down so again producing a big fat zero.

Darker night less sunshine power.

Cloudier days less sunshine power and this when everyone everywhere is turning the lights and the heating on and you hope renewables will suffice?

Not yet they won’t.

Long time away from when they will.

I don’t see this climate alarmism that many of you do.

When you look behind the headlines and fairy tales there is a very different set of circumstances happening.

Did you know the increase in CO2 is greening the world to a large extent?

Where are the sea level rises besides in reports?

• Countrywalker 20th September 2021 at 10:28 pm

There is data from a number of sources on recorded sea level rise. NASA (https://www.nasa.gov/specials/sea-level-rise-2020/), The US National Ocean Service are two of them.

• Deleted User 20th September 2021 at 10:53 pm

OK so you believe these people I’m very sceptical.
          Atlantic Ocean…
          Google Nantucket Island.
          Google Martha’s Vineyard see what’s happening there the last hundred years.
          How about the Pacific Ocean?
          Take a look at the following.
          Diego Garcia is a place us Brits nicked and then leasd out to the Americans.
          They have spent billions on it turning it into a communications base and even have a space telescope!
          The island is stocked with medicine food ordinance from guns and bullets to rockets bombs and torpedo’s and more.
          There is a permanent crew of around seven thousand.
          There are fighter jets and bombers.
          There is fuel in industrial sized tanks for war ships warplanes submarines.
          The fuel tanks are on the beach.
          This place is a restocking and refuelling place for the American military.
          On average it is three feet (one metre) above sea level.
          Are they getting the hell out of there or spending billions building sea defences?
          The American government and The Pentagon surely know what you know about rising sea levels?
          Take a look at these pictures>>>> sea level rise?
          https://www.google.com/search?q=diego+garcia&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB913GB913&sxsrf=AOaemvLuh7IXXUmsGdunGlZiSIDErQDE4w:1632174789489&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRoqf0xI7zAhXHasAKHdBFAYQQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1745&bih=881&dpr=1.1

• Deleted User 20th September 2021 at 10:56 pm
        • Countrywalker 21st September 2021 at 12:15 am

I don’t think either of us is going to convince the other of their views on this whole topic so probably best if we just agree to disagree on this!

• Deleted User 21st September 2021 at 12:38 am

Wow.
          You’re not going to convince me even with reality observations so I’ll quit now.
          You’re not a very good voice for your position when faced with reality no?

• Deleted User 21st September 2021 at 2:27 am

I don’t think either of us is going to convince the other……..
          That is a complete copout.
          The idea of debate and simple conversation isn’t to convince the other person that you’re right it’s to give each other something to think about.
          We give each other something to take away that we might not have seen before or thought of.
          You have just completely wimped out with the oh my God I can’t convince him I’m right so I best shut up.
          How on earth do you get on in the outside world when disagreeing with your peers in the market place in the pub over the fence?

• Countrywalker 21st September 2021 at 12:00 am

They probably should be more concerned about this. According to the UK Government Marine Management Organisation that wrote a ‘Blue Belt Report Card’ in 2021 for the British Indian Ocean Territories (BIOT) of which Diego Garcia is a part:
          “In BIOT, sea level is rising twice as fast as the global average. ” A number of US institutions have raised concerns about the threat of climate change to US security.

• Deleted User 21st September 2021 at 12:12 am

I think that kind of stuff is written for you though not the American government.

• Deleted User 21st September 2021 at 2:30 am

Yet still they haven’t stopped spending money on Diego Garcia.
          I’ve given you a chance to see it as opposed to hear about it from a correspondent.

• Deleted User 22nd September 2021 at 9:14 pm

You need to read the UN report condemning The UK for the treatment of the people we dragged screaming and kicking from those islands.
          They want them back.
          They want to go home.
          Britain’s argument is it would be pointless because of sea level rise as they would have to be moved again.
          Sea level rise is their political fighting point to stop the natives upsetting the Yanks and the Yanks are happy having fuel tanks on the beach and a runway three feet above sea level.

• Brighton Belle 20th September 2021 at 5:58 pm

Have I missed something thought we organising a party????

• Mad Ralph 20th September 2021 at 6:06 pm

Just out of curiosity, what did the leaflet off Scottish Power say about what to do in a power cut?

• Brighton Belle 20th September 2021 at 6:08 pm

Go to bed like in 1970s😉😉😉

• Daisychain 20th September 2021 at 6:23 pm

Bought hot water bottles on Monday and now to make some covers before it all hits. Must check batteries needed for the steam radio.

The huge increase in gas prices is worrying for me. It feels like a perfect storm.

I’d like to know what our c**p government is going to do if we have an energy and food crisis together. It feels far worse than the 1970s. I know this is all very pessimistic but I’m having a problem in finding a silver lining. 😢

• Deleted User 20th September 2021 at 7:40 pm

The price of these never before seen price rises for gas cannot be past onto you because of price caps so don’t worry about that part of it.

Lot of energy companies going bust because they can’t afford to buy at the current prices and sell it to us cheaper than what it cost them.

• Brighton Belle 20th September 2021 at 6:32 pm

We just seem to leap from one disaster to another……

• Brighton Belle 20th September 2021 at 6:35 pm

I’ve got an old “Tilley”lamp left over from fishing expeditions will come into its own just needs bit buffing up…..

• Kevin1964 20th September 2021 at 6:37 pm

Phew ………….’candles and batteries ready’ I thought for a minute man was going extinct and this was a message to the ladies!! but it is only a power cut!

• Brighton Belle 20th September 2021 at 8:06 pm

Oh not another one ……

• Deleted User 20th September 2021 at 9:34 pm

What guarantees are there then that France, say, will allow its power to be exported when they themselves are short of it. Indeed, last week Ireland shut down the Moyle interconnector to Britain, built to export surplus Irish wind power. The reason? They too were short of electricity!
      https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2021/09/17/power-markets-in-crisis/

• Deleted User 20th September 2021 at 9:39 pm

Here’s some actual figures and reading these makes it clear why four companies have gone bust in the last few days and four on the brink and bulb the 6th I think largest electricity supplier are asking the government for billions in income support.
      Take the figures in….

According to S&P Global Platts, recent month-ahead UK gas prices showed a 420% year-on-year increase, with UK National Balancing Point prices of almost 146 per therm jarring to that of 28 per therm a year ago.

Prices of electricity on the day-ahead market peaked at £2,500.01 per MWh for delivery between 7pm and 8pm on the N2EX exchange, with an average daily price of £424.61.

This compares with an average in August of £106.83, and an average across 2020 of £35.26.

UK prices hit a record high of £540 per MWh on the wholesale energy market.
      https://www.scotsman.com/business/consumer/why-is-there-a-gas-shortage-in-the-uk-heres-why-gas-prices-are-so-high-and-why-energy-prices-are-rising-3385529

• Deleted User 21st September 2021 at 12:10 am

Lets cut out all the differences of opinion and your likes and dislikes and your beliefs and hopes etc for a moment or two.
      The reality is we are in a crisis that has not been seen before.
      An energy crisis some talk about the 1970’s oil price crises but there is no comparison.
      Winter is a few weeks away and this crisis has just started unfolding before massive demands for heat and light haven’t even begun yet
      If you have some ideas about dealing with this very real crisis then I suggest you get in touch with Boris himself because he’s stranded right now other than bin all the green taxes and cancel the copwotsit meeting of heads of state in Glasgow come November and call a temporary halt to carbon taxes etc.
      If you think this will be short lived won’t affect supply through winter let us know here.
      What do you think can be done right now to stop these energy companies going bust stop them claiming income support make sure the lights stay on etc?
      I’ll not feel it as much as people living in towns and cities as I live in a place that has never had mains gas so most of us around these parts burn coal and logs.
      Some are foolish enough to try and do it all on electricity and are finding it so expensive and some in council housing have had no choice but to accept heat pumps being fitted.
      I think this winter is going to be early and very hard.
      These heat pumps will cost a fortune to run… if there’s any electricity to run them… and will not provide heat and hot water at below zero temperatures.
      Surely they’d be better off burning coal and logs like me?

• Mad Ralph 21st September 2021 at 12:50 pm

😂😂😂😂Fair enough 👏👏

• Brighton Belle 21st September 2021 at 12:51 pm

Is everyone back on track with this “Candle and Battery” Saga?

• Deleted User 21st September 2021 at 3:07 pm

Just to let you know that it is windy up here in Yorkshire! No need for candles just yet!

• Tickledpink 21st September 2021 at 9:46 pm

Haven’t laughed so much in ages, truly hilarious, thank you all 🙂

• Brighton Belle 21st September 2021 at 11:06 pm

Mad Ralph my three wishes been granted…..Glad I buffed that lamp….

• Alexandra 2013 22nd September 2021 at 5:55 pm

Where’s Bear Grylls when you need him 😳

• Brighton Belle 22nd September 2021 at 6:40 pm

Need one way flight to somewhere hot….

• Alexandra 2013 23rd September 2021 at 1:08 pm

I don’t mind wandering around in the dark. 🔦 that’s when all the spooks come out isn’t it 👻 🤣🤣

Add