Home Forums History & Nostalgia Genealogy! Where did my question disappear to? I w...

Linde Posted 3 months ago
Genealogy! Where did my question disappear to? I was looking for others interested in their ancestors!

Anyone done a family tree? Mine is growing by the day. The early days were the hard ones, it is getting easier all the time, with other users supplying their findings, Smart matches coming into your inbox, …let’s hear of some interesting characters!

3 likes & 41 replies
    • Deleted User 29th August 2021 at 11:37 pm

Your question will still be there somewhere.
      This is the worst forum format I have ever come across in fact I think it helps to stop people getting close to each other.
      I’ve had a couple of forums and been a member of quite a few the last twenty years and never come across anything like this place before.

• Daisychain 30th August 2021 at 6:54 am

I did my family tree sometime ago and go back to it now and then. In the early days I wasn’t scrupulous in checking out all the facts for myself and some errors have crept in. It’s been a fascinating journey. Have you come across Family Tree Forum. It’s a free site and it’s very helpful if you get stuck as others will help you out and search with you. It’s not like Ancestry but I used it a lot when I got stuck.

DNA can be very helpful in providing clues. My daughter’s grandfather’s family was contacted using this method. My husband was a war baby and he never knew the identity of his birth father. They are now in touch with the family and I can see some family likenesses.

Good luck with your research.

• Linde 30th August 2021 at 8:05 am

Thank you, Daisychain(what a lovely name!) for the info. Glad you had some good outcomes. I found my husband’s family tree easier to negotiate, he was a Londoner with roots in Norfolk( his fathers side- they were weavers from Flanders/ the Netherlands) and from Normandy via the Channel Islands to GB. Family name Remon, with accent on the o! One broke away(reason??) and married a London girl in 1780. There was then a whole tribe settled in the Eastend, Hackney, Whitechapel etc. Easily traceable.
        Mine are harder to trace, being from Central Europe, the ancestors are spread far and wide, very often with unusual surnames and place names, of course. I wish I had paid more attention in history lessons, !
        Goodness knows what a DNA test would reveal! Anyway, keep in touch if you like. I am still fascinated by all the facts I can find out about. Best regards, Linde

• Daisychain 30th August 2021 at 8:23 am

I did an Ancestry DNA test. Interestingly I was contacted by someone in the USA searching for their great grandfather. The grandfather was illegitimate. We tracked down the most likely candidate and it all seemed to add together. We were related way back to Stourport, Worcs via the Rowley family.

If you feel it would be helpful you could take a DNA test. It might turn up some distant relatives who have more info than you re your maternal family.

We found that wars, poverty and social unrest often went together with families moving across continents.

Good luck in your research. It’s never too late to do your own history.

• Sandyg 31st August 2021 at 11:19 pm

Im wanting to find the identity of my Maternal great grandfather, as maternal grandfather was born illegitimate.His mum was a maid in service when she got pregnant, there seems no way to be able to tell, nothing was ever said about his identity…I like to think he was The Lord of The Manor !

• Daisychain 1st September 2021 at 6:28 am

Well, ours was a best guess via elimination and tracking down possible ancestors. I was found by this person on Ancestry via dna and took it from there. In our travels it took us to Wales. In the meantime my contact made contact with others known to be related. Finally we managed to find our common link.

I have a Welsh gggg? grandmother who was said to have been in service in a large family house and became pregnant by the youngest son who was disinherited. I haven’t got any further with this ancestor and as it happened in 1805 or thereabouts I’m not looking any further as it would take too much time and energy.

I was initially surprised by the number of illegitimate children born but it seems it was not so unusual but hidden away. I’m rather happy that society has changed and single parents are more acceptable. It doesn’t seem nearly so important to most people.

• Daisychain 1st September 2021 at 6:30 am

Do you know where she was employed or at least what area in the country? Does any of your family have any family rumours? They often contain a grain of truth.

• Sandyg 2nd September 2021 at 5:21 am

My Great Granny lived nr.Gravesend, I can only assume the house she worked in was also from that area.

• Daisychain 30th August 2021 at 8:29 am

My grandfather’s Sussex family were widespread in the Weald. One was a landlord of The Red Lion in Hoo, Sussex and was part of one of the Hoo gang of smugglers linked to the Groombridge gang in the mid 1700s. He disappeared. There were also sheep rustlers transported to Australia in the early 1800s.

Apart from that my father’s family were canal boatmen, travelling the canals and moving goods especially between Worcester and Birmingham although they may have travelled as far as Sheffield. Anywhere to find work.

• Linde 30th August 2021 at 8:56 am

How interesting! Thank you for all that information. I like the comment about the gang member, and the sheep rustlers! Apart from that everyone behaved! The worst culprit on my mother in laws side(the Remons) was a pirate and his son , lived to a ripe old age , so got away with it, based on the Normandy, Bretagne coast.
        Little snippets of information come through, one woman living in Norfolk, presumably of Dutch descent, had to ask permission from the towns elders whether she could visit her sister for two months in Holland ( the poor sister probably on her death bed),it was granted. Another interesting source is crime, jail sentences etc. One woman is recorded as being drunk and disorderly and put in custody overnight, with a group of men. Nice record for the family, I suppose! Anyway, keep me informed of any more surprises, please! I always did say life is stranger than fiction! All the best, Linde

• Daisychain 30th August 2021 at 10:18 am

Mother’s side of the family were agricultural labourers around Monk Soham in Suffolk and are part of the List/Lyst family who originated in Saxony.

• Linde 30th August 2021 at 6:23 pm

You do have a good amount of info! Keep searching! I’ll do the same. The Austrian side has vintners, millers, farmers o it’s side. My grandmother lived near a water mill, when she went into service in Vienna she missed the sound of the water and the wheel turning day and night, and was terribly home sick! As children we liked to visit the vineyards and the “Weinkeller”, a low mound, with stairs leading below ground, where the wine was fermenting. You had to take a candle with you, to find out about the oxygen level. If the candle blew out, you had to get out quickly! What an adventure!

• Dreamyboy 31st August 2021 at 9:39 am

I was lucky with a branch of mine that they were Dutch that had emigrated to the US in the 1500’s, so had kept precise records going back that far, so found we had ancestors who fought in the war of independence (boo, traitors!). Also discovered another ancestor who was one of the original Pilgrims from Plymouth to America as well – I did find a juicy story concerning an ancestor shot dead in a hotel in the mid 1800s but haven’t got any further with that one unfortunately!

• Linde 31st August 2021 at 11:25 am

Interesting, newcomer to my question. Thank you for those fascinating details of your ancestors, going to America. Concerning your last remark, the poor chap obviously couldn’t answer any more questions! I wonder what he had done?? All the best, Linde.

• Dreamyboy 31st August 2021 at 4:04 pm

Linde – he was my great, great, grandfather – sounds a bit of a character, born in New York, had a daughter in Australia, another in Cuba (my great grand mother) owning a ferry in New York Harbour at one point and ended up in the West Indies somewhere dead at the age of 32,but I can’t find any evidence of how he died – just family rumour.

• Linde 31st August 2021 at 7:54 pm

Hello again, I am utterly fascinated! Keep going, it all looks very promising!

• reliquit 31st August 2021 at 10:07 pm

My father started tracing the family history when he retired in 1980. There wasn’t much information on the Internet in those days so he did his research the old-fashioned way, visiting local records offices and getting all the old B/M/D certificates. Using this method he was able to trace our line back to my great(8)-grandfather Thomas Wigmore, born in Charlton, Gloucestershire in 1667.

When he was preparing to go into sheltered accommodation in 2015, I called to see him one day and he presented me with a cabin trunk FULL of documents relating to his research. One day I will get around to sorting it all out!

• Sandyg 31st August 2021 at 10:48 pm

Yes I have.Was an obsession at the beginning, I’d be up all night when I had a trail to follow…til I’d exhausted all avenues ,then gave up.
      The DNA links are dissapointing though, 100s of 1000s of 5th+ cousins, all over the world, impossible to follow up,
      nothing has come up closer that I dodnt know about already.

• Linde 1st September 2021 at 6:29 am

Good morning, everyone! Thank you for bringing up so many different stories, it really is mind blowing! Dear Sandy and reliquit for joining in as well! I can well imagine that cabin trunk full of information. Don’t let it go to waste, I am sure there are many secrets hidden in there! You are right, it wasn’t so easy in the 80’s and 90’s, a lot of work, travel and time went into it. I remember on more than one occasion meeting people from USA, Australia, Canada et al on our travels through Europe. Record offices were helpful, churchyards were used to find clues. So please let me know more! Maybe we can all put a HISTORY book together! Happy searching! Linde

• Julie R 1st September 2021 at 5:34 pm

Yes, I have done my family tree, and it is easier than it was when I started 20 years ago, visiting the local library and using microfiche!! Some parts I have got back to 1600s.
      MY most interesting relative is my g grandmother. She married my g grandfather, left him on the grounds of cruelty, married bigamously (was convicted and sent to prison) and had another child by him. She then ended up in Liverpool with a third man – took his name but no sign of a marriage, and also had a third child with him.
      I have just done Ancestry DNA test, and am awaiting the results.

• Linde 1st September 2021 at 8:35 pm

Hello, Julie, hope you get some exciting results! Nice to have you on board. I am really enjoying all these posts, and the details that come to light.
      I have been with MyHeritage for years now and one Christmas was presented with a full Premium membership for a year by my sisters. It opened up a lot more avenues, and became easier the further back you searched. I have had record matches from people in all sorts of places, Sweden, Netherlands, Germany, France, Canada, Australia, Norway,…as no doubt many of you have too.
      When I researched the weavers from the Lowlands/ Netherlands/Flanders I looked into the circumstances and living conditions at that time. I printed out a history of Norwich, the sorts of other trades at the time ( rope makers, for instance), why that particular group came over ( it was at the invitation of the king(?? You might well ask) who wanted to liven up the wool trade, introduce new methods of weaving, new designs (still to be found on the internet) etc. Anyway, keep me posted please! Linde

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 2nd September 2021 at 5:57 am

I started mine a few years back. Have managed to trace back to the early 1600s. I have done the DNA stuff with Ancestry but no real surprises as it told me I’m from the south west – Cornwall and west Devon my Dad’s side, who were mainly farm labourers and Wales, my Mum, who were mainly miners. It was great to take my sons to the the places that appeared on my Cornish/Devon side. Just need to explores the Welsh side a bit more now. Ancestry has also thrown up alot of distant relatives in the US in particular around New England.

• Linde 2nd September 2021 at 11:09 am

Thank you, kernowboy!(May I ask where that name came from? As you might have seen from other posts, I am very interested in languages and compare them constantly. It sound like a place name to me, am I right?
        Nic,e to hear about your ancestors! Regards, Linde

• Linde 4th September 2021 at 5:33 pm

Dear kernowboy! I wrote you a message yesterday, but promptly pressed the wrong button. Thank you for explaining the meaning to me, I love learning new words, as you might have guessed, and comparing them to ones I know already. Is Cornish still spoken if only by a few people? It is sad when a language disappears, as a whole culture, the songs, poetry, values, art and crafts, disappears as well. Best wishes, Linde

• Yes 16th September 2021 at 12:03 pm

I found that doing a family tree very time consuming and very expensive, there is so much to learn before you start like how to make the tree. I now find none of my family are interested, now seems a waste of time and money.

• Linde 16th September 2021 at 1:08 pm

Hello there, Please don’t give up! It can be a real eye opener, and if nobody is interested, we’ll, I am!
      I don’t know whether you are with ancestry or like me in ‘my heritage’. but once you got going it gets easier all the way, the further back you go.
      You are usually allowed to put in some basic facts, to start you off. So, name of your parents, then siblings. The more you or anyone else knows about the family, the better.
      That usually create a file for the person. On my programme it then allows you to ADD husband, for example, then SON/ DAUGHTER, and so on.
      As far as I remember, it cost nothing for the basic membership, might be a good idea before you start spending money!
      Other members can see these entries, so you might get SMART matches in your emails, informing you what others have found out. If it fits, then that’s fine otherwise you can reject it.
      If you do take it up, I have plenty more suggestions ( found out the hard way!) please get in touch again. All the best, Linde

• Steve32 16th September 2021 at 1:24 pm

I have family tree on Ancestry, aside from doing the family tree i also really enjoy reading a newspaper that they have on there from 1897 a whole years worth of a local paper, and what’s fun is the dates for 1897 are the same as 2021 so there is one for the corresponding date 124 years ago and you do get some funny stories on there

• Linde 17th September 2021 at 11:01 am

Hello, Steve, that newspaper sound fun! I bet there are a few similarities, e.g. crime, social injustices, etc. Hope you find some more interesting facts! All the best, Linde

• LucasH 17th September 2021 at 12:08 pm

Hi,
      Yesterday my father gave me a bunch of certificates, including my great grandmothers death certificate.
      I typed it into my family tree on family Search and later, it came back with a record of her grave.
      Today we went to see the grave of my great grandmother and great grandfather.
      My dad had thought she had been cremated and so it was a surprise.
      Not of great importance but interesting for dad and I.

• Linde 17th September 2021 at 12:52 pm

Dear Lucash, thank you for your new-found facts! How nice for you to find so much detail, I am pleased for you. I am sure it will now take you even further back, for once you start, others come up with their findings and often they do match.
        May I ask where you are from originally? Poland or Czech Republic or there abouts? I come from Austria and found it hard to get information about ancestors. But the hobby is taking off in Central Europe too, so it is getting easier to go back in time.
        Anyway, all the best, and happy searching! Linde

• LucasH 17th September 2021 at 5:02 pm

Hi Linde,
          Nothing as interesting as Poland or Czech for me, English and a bit of Anglo Indian.
          How is Austria for record keeping?
          There are a number of ancestry/family tree web sites. I use familySearch which is free to use.
          I guess it depends on how quickly the history databases get filled up for Austria.
          I hope that you make progress.
          Lucas

• Linde 17th September 2021 at 8:24 pm

Hi, Lucas, thank you for your reply. Austria was rather slow in releasing data on such a large scale. It has to do with attitude( which in this case I can relate to). The underlying idea was that family matters, such as Birth, Christenings, Marriage and Death of course, are PRIVATE . They should be respected as such. Which of course made it extremely difficult to find out about relatives, unless you were prepared to visit Parishes, Churches, Monestaries, etc. To find the records yourself. They were there, it was just a huge undertaking. But over the last few decades things have improved on this front. I now get frequent alerts regarding further ancestors, some names sounding very familiar indeed, and even the places of residence are known to me from my childhood.
          Hope You will also find out a lot more, the history is absolutely fascinating. All the best, Linde

• Clint 17th October 2021 at 11:09 am

I’m still trying to find my Dads side of my family. He was 8 when WW2 finished , he was born in what was Germany/East Prussia and is now Poland. Finding records of that period in German and Polish genealogy sites is a nightmare.

• Linde 17th October 2021 at 3:13 pm

Hello, Clint, think of it as a challenge! May I offer you some pointers to look out for or follow? If you are already well into genealogy, then carry [email protected] not, find a site, either ancestry or MyHeritage which I am with.
        Next: Type in name, surname, date of birth, if known, area of !residence, or place of birth, etc. Any other details such as siblings, spouse, children…
        If ordinary registers don’t yield any results, the try Church records ( more likely to be available. The records are taking off at a pace, new ones added all the time.
        A couple of points to bear in mind, which you might already know about: place names, etc have changed over time, history has redrawn borders, so the area you are looking at is vast and overlapping!
        I would get hold of a good map of that area at the time of your fathers birth, find out place names, see if there are any changes. I might even know a few myself, simply by my mother talking about areas nearby.
        Secondly: Christian and surnames: again, look out for different spellings, say them out loud and listen to the sounds, it might ring a bell. Christian names often differ from one certificate to another, e.g. Maria Anna, Anna Maria, or Jan Tomasz, then the reverse. If you get stuck, just ask me, I might not know, but again I just might. Also with different scripts, letter formation. Some hand written entries are hard to decipher! Anyway, good luck, and keep me informed! All the best, Linde
        !

• Linde 30th October 2021 at 11:39 am

Dear Clint, have you got any further with your ancestry? It would be good to know where your Dad came from originally. See if you can find any old maps of the time (pre WW2 I take it. ) the borders have been drawn, and changed many times, as I might have said before. So if you don’t find anything under”Poland, for example,” try East Germany, …place names have also changed beyond recognition, e.g. on the Austrian-Hungarian border. On some maps you find 2 names side by side, so you have something to go on.
        Anyway, keep me informed please, I am genuinely interested. Best regards, Linde

• elaineh 28th October 2021 at 7:11 pm

I’ve used the last year as a chance to finally get around to doing my family tree. It’s been fascinating and addictive. I discovered that both sides of my family lived in the neighbourhood I’ve lived in for decades. So that has in turn got me hugely interested in local history, and I’ve now done a lot of research into a few of the many hundreds and hundreds of families that have lived in my street over the last 200 years.

• Linde 28th October 2021 at 7:44 pm

Well done, Elaine, glad we share that hobby! As you say, it is endlessly fascinating and intriguing . May I ask which area you are covering?
        I found my husbands ancestors more or less all within a radius of a few miles, in the East end of London. Whitechapel, Bethnal Green, Holborn, etc. A lot of the area was bombed, but some streets have survived.
        My son in law has started getting interested in his heritage as well, he comes from SpanishAmerican/Mexican stock. Another great road of disovery! We are learning all the time, new avenues opening up. He is trying to trace the family back to Spain eventually, so that should keep him busy for quite a few years!!
        Anyway, let me know more if you come across some interesting facts! All the best, Linde

• elaineh 28th October 2021 at 8:03 pm

I’m in Edinburgh. And it’s the Southside of the city where much of both sides of my family have lived over the last 150 years. Although there are some who’ve ended up in the East End of London too.

• Linde 28th October 2021 at 11:06 pm

Thank you, Elaine, what a beautiful city you call your home! Keep searching, and goodness knows what might turn up! History and Social studies seem so much more interesting when relating to people you know of or called family. Best regards, Linde

• AllsGravy 31st October 2021 at 7:26 pm

I think your great, great grandmother on your father’s side deleted it from the other side. 😂

Add