Home Forums Gardening Garden clearance

loislane Posted 2 months ago
Garden clearance

I wondered if anyone has or had a large garden cleated of Ivy, brambles, gorse bushes and how much roughly it actually costs.
I’ve tried doing it myself, make a start anyway but it’s proving too tough and I got a nasty insect bite which needed antibiotics. Had deer in it so therefore ticks, maybe adders.
Wondering if just better to have it done in segments.
Most quotes want details I can’t provide.

1 like & 15 replies
    • goldfish63 7th October 2021 at 6:14 pm

Best to do it in stages, cut back as far as possible with a hedge trimmer, clear the debris and apply weed killer, leave for 3 weeks and then dig the roots out as best as possible, dig over or rotavate if you can, then add some quality soil or compost.

• loislane 7th October 2021 at 6:25 pm

I haven’t got a hedge trimmer, nor can I afford one, plus I don’t know what I’m doing.
        As I said I suffered a nasty insect bite again, it puts me at risk.
        I don’t have copious amounts of energy now so I’d rather get someone in who knows what they’re doing hence, what’s a reasonable quote for a large garden. Just something I can bear in mind as I’m sure I’ll be overcharged.

• goldfish63 8th October 2021 at 11:18 am

You can get a hedge trimmer and a strimmer from Argos for under £100 and cheaper than hiring someone to do it for you, do it in the colder weather when the insects are not so active, alternatively ask your local council if they have volunteers who help people with garden clearance, some have schemes to help people with this type of issue, good luck 🙂

• EricaLovesFlowers 8th October 2021 at 7:40 am

I agree, but I wouldn’t apply weed killer. Once I got as much weed out as possible I’d cover each section with weed control fabric and/or old carpet. In this way you’re creating a giant compost bin. If you can leave it for 6 months-a year, you’d have lovely soil underneath.

• Chojo 8th October 2021 at 6:20 am

One of my neighbours recently had her garden cleared, it was a real mess . It was around 10m x 15m and they charged her £300. It seems most gardeners here charge around £20 per hour.

• Sylvia 1957 8th October 2021 at 12:09 pm

I have had a very similar problem. I have such a tall and long hedge in my garden it’s all different types of hedge it’s awful. It’s not a nice privet hedge. I can’t reach it. I had a quote to trim/cut it 🙈 £1,500.00 😳😱 only for one side the inside.
      I bought a tall hedge trimmer. My brother said he would help. It took ages as it is full of Ivy in twined from the neighbours tree. Then you have piles of hedge to dispose of 😩. Now we are trying to get rid of the ivy it’s not easy.
      Do you have any family that could help you? If we had been near each other you could have loan my trimmer’s no problem. I think Chojo is right £20 per hour. I hope you can get it sorted.

• loislane 8th October 2021 at 2:08 pm

Thank you, a number of factors led to it becoming impossible started clearing near the house, but when I got bitten, I stopped, was told not to garden as September is the worst time.
        I think even if I could get a bit of it cleared each time, at least I may be able to maintain it a bit better.
        Family is scattered, I wouldn’t actually be able to hold a hedge trimmer for long as I have a problem with my hands.
        Certainly don’t want to be bitten by a tick either, do these things last forever,😂😂😂

• Sylvia 1957 8th October 2021 at 2:25 pm

Sorry to hear that. I’m not sure how garden service works or when they stop? You could try and get them like you say clear a bit at a time and when you can afford it.
      Don’t even try yourself it’s not worth getting sick.

Another suggestion 🙈. Get yourself a man then he can do it for you 😂🤣you can pay him in kind 🤣😂🤣😂

Let’s hope you find a solution.

Enjoy your afternoon 🌸.

• Angelladytania 9th October 2021 at 1:52 pm

I run a garden design and management company here in Formby, near Liverpool. With a garden as you are describing we tend to spend 2/3 days making a big dent in it and then create a programme for dealing with the rest of the garden over the following months as part of our garden management service.

We never use chemicals as its so harmful to wildlife (I bet you have lots of birds, insects and other mammals visiting your garden in addition to the deer!)

A couple of ways to find a good local company is via the Next Door app or your local community group on Facebook (“can anyone recommend a good garden clearance company” type of post) or even a card in your local post office window saying help wanted 😊

I’d be happy to advise you further if you need it on finding a local company to help you do this!

Get 2/3 quotes to give you an idea of fees but above all, go with the people you connect with the best, and who you feel will treat your garden with respect

• loislane 11th October 2021 at 9:14 pm

Thank you for your reply, yes we get everything in the garden, which is precisely why I don’t want to use weedkiller.
        I also would like a huge part dedicated to bees etc
        I live in Suffolk.

• Renoir64 11th October 2021 at 9:04 pm

Bit left field but best with me.
      Are the borders of the garden secure?
      If so you could consider having someone’s goat, sheep etc.
      They will do a good job and clearing it (there’s no weeds in the sides of the hills in the lake district)
      I know someone who did similar with someone else’s horse.

Just a bit of a weird idea

Add